KAT500 vs KAT3 Matching Range

Andy Wood
Will the matching range of the KAT500 be the same as the KAT3? If not, is it better or worse?

Andy  VK4KY

Re: KAT500 vs KAT3 Matching Range

Scott Manthe-2
Andy,
That exact information is provided at the link Eric posted earlier. You
should check it out:

http://www.elecraft.com/news.htm

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 3/28/12 10:33 PM, Andy Wood wrote:
> Will the matching range of the KAT500 be the same as the KAT3? If not, is it
> better or worse?
>
> Andy  VK4KY

Re: KAT500 vs KAT3 Matching Range

Andy Wood
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I did read the information on that page before posting. Unfortunately the information there does not answer my question.

Andy  VK4KY

Re: KAT500 vs KAT3 Matching Range

Bob Cunnings NW8L
According to the K3 manual (page 73):

"The KAT3 provides a wide-range, switchable C-in/C-out L-network for matching
a variety of antennas with SWR as high as 10:1 (100 W) or 20:1 (10 W)."

so the KAT500:

"Typical matching range at 500-600W is up to 10:1 on most bands."

is comparable to the KAT3 I suppose.

Bob NW8L

>Will the matching range of the KAT500 be the same as the KAT3? If not, is it
>better or worse?
>
>Andy  VK4KY

Re: KAT500 vs KAT3 Matching Range

Andy Wood
Hi Bob,

The KAT3 tuner has one of the widest matching ranges I have ever seen from an autotuner. Only maybe twice has it not matched what I have connected to it.
I suppose I want to know if the KAT500 is a "beefed up" version of the KAT3, using the same value components and firmware algorithms.

Andy  VK4KY

Re: KAT500 vs KAT3 Matching Range

w7aqk
As Eric recently explained to me, the KAT500 is based on the same design as
the ATU for the K3--only bigger!  So, yes it should have much the same
spec's, which means something like a 10:1 SWR capability.  Actually, Eric
noted that, provided you a somewhat closer SWR variance, like 3:1 or better,
the KAT500 will handle a good bit more than it's 500 watt specificed power
rating.  How much more he didn't say exactly, but the KAT500 will very
probably work just fine on some of those 800 watt amps that are out there,
and just as well or better than various other ATU's.  Mating the KAT500 with
the KPA500 is the primary objective, but they are intentionally aiming at
other amps as well--within a reasonable power range.  If you think about it,
that only makes sense not to limit yourself to just your own matching amp.
I don't know how aggressive they will be about the actual spec's when those
are formally released, but Eric specifically pointed out that they wanted
this ATU to be fairly versatile.

Dave W7AQK

FW: KAT500 vs KAT3 Matching Range

Dick Dievendorff
The KAT500 is a "beefed up" version of the KAT3, using very similar value
components (in pF and uH) but larger current and voltage capacities. The
range of antenna impedances that can be matched are quite similar.

The KAT500 firmware algorithm started with the KAT3 algorithm, but the
KAT500 must also work with other transceivers and a high power amplifier, so
additional capability is required.

Significantly more memory is available for storing antenna tuner settings.

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: FW: KAT500 vs KAT3 Matching Range

Andy Wood
Hi Dick,

Thanks for the confirmation - that is what I hoped the answer would be. Thanks also to all others  that have responded, both on and off list.

Andy  VK4KY

Re: FW: KAT500 vs KAT3 Matching Range

Matt Murphy
Would it be fair to assume that if the KAT3 matches a load sufficiently to
allow the transceiver to put out 100W that the KAT500 would match the same
load safely for 500W?

Matt NQ6N

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Andy Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dick,
>
> Thanks for the confirmation - that is what I hoped the answer would be.
> Thanks also to all others  that have responded, both on and off list.
>
> Andy  VK4KY

Re: FW: KAT500 vs KAT3 Matching Range

Bill K9YEQ
More than fair.  If one reads the specs, the KAT500 will handle the load.
If one only operated though the Elecraft amp at 500 watts, the K3 amp would
not be necessary. Just reduce drive.  I don't know how low it detects at
this point.  That spec isn't published.  If it were low enough I might order
one and put it out in the back in my remote cabinet.  Just waiting for more.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ