KAt100 power on question

mjpilgrim
I recently purchased a used KAT100.  Not sure how to interpret a possible failing condition at Power UP time.  Stupid Question:  If I simply connect 12VDC to the DC power input jack on the KAT100 (without the K2 physically connected), should I see the lights eliminated on the KAT100?  Reason I ask is because at one time during my initial hookup I seem to recall the lights on, but now they are not.  Don't know if possibly my interface cable had a shorted connection, or what.  Nonetheless, before I re-cable and try again, I just needed to ask if I might have a problem in which the lights do not come on.  Upon close inspection of the interface cable I think I located a shorted connection at the KAT100 connection.  I removed that shorted condition but I feel hesitant to plug in a try the operational status of the setup.  Can anyone please tell me if the KAT100 lights illuminate when the 12VDC power is connected, or must the unit be calbed to the K2?

Thanks,

Re: KAt100 power on question

bdenley
Made the same mistake.  You need both power cables hooked up: one to the KAT100 and one to the K2.  You can use a 'Y' cable to power both.
Brian

KB1VBF
Sent from my iPad

> On May 25, 2016, at 8:47 PM, mjpilgrim <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I recently purchased a used KAT100.  Not sure how to interpret a possible
> failing condition at Power UP time.  Stupid Question:  If I simply connect
> 12VDC to the DC power input jack on the KAT100 (without the K2 physically
> connected), should I see the lights eliminated on the KAT100?  Reason I ask
> is because at one time during my initial hookup I seem to recall the lights
> on, but now they are not.  Don't know if possibly my interface cable had a
> shorted connection, or what.  Nonetheless, before I re-cable and try again,
> I just needed to ask if I might have a problem in which the lights do not
> come on.  Upon close inspection of the interface cable I think I located a
> shorted connection at the KAT100 connection.  I removed that shorted
> condition but I feel hesitant to plug in a try the operational status of the
> setup.  Can anyone please tell me if the KAT100 lights illuminate when the
> 12VDC power is connected, or must the unit be calbed to the K2?
>
> Thanks,

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KAt100 power on question

Don Wilhelm
The KAT100 needs both the 12 volt power connection *and* the 12CTRL
signal from the K2 to power itself on.
So yes, you need the control cable plugged from the base K2 (or KPA100)
to the KAT100 before you will see any lights.  The control cable is
shown in the KAT100 manual.