KBT2 Instructions for the K2 Internal Battery

KBT2 Instructions for the K2 Internal Battery

N8CEP
The KBT2 Internal Battery Installation Instructions need to be
updated or have a errata attached. The instructions on page 8
refer to a "S1" switch on the control board. I searched the
archives and found out that the switch was changed to 3 pin header
"P7" after about serial number 3000 or so.

So to prevent others from this confusion the instructions need
changed or added to.

73
Keith Hamilton N8CEP

Re: KBT2 Instructions for the K2 Internal Battery

Don Wilhelm-4
Keith,

You are correct.  I will *try* to see who is owner of the document and
see if it can be corrected.
I am glad to see that you did enough research to realize that the switch
had been changed to a 3 pin header.

On 5/22/2012 9:31 PM, Keith Hamilton wrote:

> The KBT2 Internal Battery Installation Instructions need to be
> updated or have a errata attached. The instructions on page 8
> refer to a "S1" switch on the control board. I searched the
> archives and found out that the switch was changed to 3 pin header
> "P7" after about serial number 3000 or so.
>
> So to prevent others from this confusion the instructions need
> changed or added to.
>
> 73
> Keith Hamilton N8CEP

Re: KBT2 Instructions for the K2 Internal Battery

Tom McCulloch
That switch!!

That switch has caused more problems that it was worth -- it seemed that
every time I would take the cover off of my K2, for whatever reason, and
then replace it, I'd turn on the rig and get the infamous "Lo batt"
message because my fat fingers accidentally pushed That Switch to the
wrong position.  Off came the cover, the switch was set properly, back
on went the cover and everything was fine --- until the next time.

Glad to see it's gone...hi  (althiugh as Keith points out, even though
it's gone, it's still causing problems...hi)

(what was it for, anyway?
Tom, WB2QDG

K2 # 1103

On 5/22/2012 9:31 PM, Keith Hamilton wrote:

> The KBT2 Internal Battery Installation Instructions need to be
> updated or have a errata attached. The instructions on page 8
> refer to a "S1" switch on the control board. I searched the
> archives and found out that the switch was changed to 3 pin header
> "P7" after about serial number 3000 or so.
>
> So to prevent others from this confusion the instructions need
> changed or added to.
>
> 73
> Keith Hamilton N8CEP

Re: KBT2 Instructions for the K2 Internal Battery

Don Wilhelm-4
That Switch!!!

Well, that switch had good intentions for those who did not have a DMM
and had trouble with their K2 that measuring the DC voltages might
provide some clue to the problem.

With the switch in the EXT position, the K2 would display the voltage
applied to the probe described in page 44 of the manual - no DMM required.

Most K2 builders/owners do have access to a DMM, so this capability is
not often used.

Keep the switch on the INT position, or replace the switch with the 3
pin header and a jumper.  The KBT2 instructions are being addressed
separately.