KDSP2 LED Stays On and No Audio

Ed K-3
My KDSP2 has operated very well over the past 2 years and four months since I built
it... until last Saturday.   I had removed it to work on the front
panel, installing indicator LEDs in the key caps as per the LA3ZA mod which went very well.   When I reassembled
the rig to test out the mods the KDSP2 was not functioning properly.
With the module removed and replaced with a unpcb bypass board, audio is
restored.   I have made no changes to the DSP2 module and I do take the
precaution of working with my grounded static drain mat and wrist band.

The KDSP2 LED stays on instead of extinguishing after a few seconds which
indicates that communication is down.   I verified that all connectors
and pins are aligned properly and the battery measures 6 V.   With the KDSP2 installed, even though
the LED stays on, I am able to cycle through the filters using the
XFIL/AFIL Front Panel switch... but, no audio.

I seem to remember this problem coming up once but can't recall what to do to cure
it... wish I had written it down when I had come across it before.   It
seems that it is something simple that I am overlooking.

I appeal to your collective wisdom in solving this problem... Thanks,

Ed - AD7GR

Re: KDSP2 LED Stays On and No Audio

dw-4
Hi Ed,
The manual indicates that the LED will come on if an unrecognized
command is issued by the controler chip.
Did the modification change anything on the connector J3?

In off-chance, disconnect the two PCBs, clean the connectors and
re-assemble?

Just some off-the cuff thoughts.

Duane
N1BBR
--
 [hidden email]

Re: KDSP2 LED Stays On and No Audio

Ed K-3
Thanks for the sugestions Duane, but the mods have nothing to do with the DSP unit... that's why it is perplexing to me.   After the connectors are cleaned there is no change and even with the mods out of circuit the issue persists.   BTW... all the present mods do is to light LEDs to indicate status of Split/RIT/XIT and PTT and they function beautifully.

Ed
AD7GR - NE Oregon
Novice WDØDRL -CO-1977- Extra since 1984

Re: KDSP2 LED Stays On and No Audio

Ed K-3
Dieter,

The link to the K2 LEDs page is http://www.qslnet.de/member/la3za/K2_LEDS.html and a K2 mod page at http://www.qslnet.de/member/la3za/

73,
Ed
AD7GR - NE Oregon
Novice WDØDRL -CO-1977- Extra since 1984

You mention a mod from LA3ZA in your post.
Seems I am too blind for finding it either on the Elecraft HP or on LA3ZA
mod list.
Would you be so kind please and provide me a link to that mod description ?
Thank you

73 de OE2CDM, Dieter

Re: KDSP2 LED Stays On and No Audio

Ed K-3
Battery reads good... 6.2vdc.   My DVM may not be dead on but it reads very close.

Disconnecting and reinserting the battery only resets the clock as I recall.

When I substitute my KAF2 I have audio... only the KDSP2 itself is malfunctioning.

Ed

Re: KDSP2 LED Stays On and No Audio

Ed,

Check the soldering for the headers that connect the DSP module to the
board.  If there was a marginal solder connection, removing and
re-inserting the module may have made it non-functional.

Did you use good anti-static measures when the DSP module was removed,
stored while it was out of the K2 and during the re-installation?  If
not, the DSP module itself may have been static damaged.  Swapping with
a known good DSP module is the best test if you can find a local with a
module.

I have no other suggestions at the moment.