KIO2 connector safety modification?

PA3GYU
Guys,

I seem to recall that somebody somewhere reported adding a safety measure
to the IO connector and the matching cable. It involved plugging one hole
in the K2's IO socket and cutting a pin fom the corresponding connector on
the cable, I think.
The idea was to prevent one from using any old cable in a moment of
-let's-get-it-going- rush, a phenomenom we all seem to recognize... ;-)

Anyway, being in the proces of building the KIO2, I cannot find the article
anywhere but contemplate implementing such a safety feature. I wouldn't
know which pin to sacrifice (might take one out that is needed in a future
application). Any pointers from the list?

Best,

Bart de PA3GYU

Re: KIO2 connector safety modification?

Don Wilhelm-3
Bart,

That was my suggestion, and it was only a post on the reflector, I did not
write up anything further.
The details are as you recall - Pin 4 is not used, so that is the one to
sacrifice.  To plug the hole, you can use most anything, a whittled down
piece of toothpick for example.  I used a bit of wire just large enough to
stay securely in the hole.

I have also implemented a different cure - I just made a short IO cable
(about 5 inches long) that is permanently screwed onto the KIO2 connector,
the short cable is built just like the normal K2 cable except that I
connected the shield on both ends.  Since the wires that may damage the K2
are not connected in this short cable, any normal RS-232 cable can be used
with no harm, but for shielding/isolation purposes, I use the normal K2 to
PC cable.

So now you have 2 ways of providing protection - take your pick.

> I seem to recall that somebody somewhere reported adding a safety measure
> to the IO connector and the matching cable. It involved plugging one hole
> in the K2's IO socket and cutting a pin fom the corresponding connector on
> the cable, I think.
> The idea was to prevent one from using any old cable in a moment
> of -let's-get-it-going- rush, a phenomenom we all seem to recognize... ;-)
>
> Anyway, being in the proces of building the KIO2, I cannot find the
> article anywhere but contemplate implementing such a safety feature. I
> wouldn't know which pin to sacrifice (might take one out that is needed in
> a future application). Any pointers from the list?
>
> Best,
>
> Bart de PA3GYU

Re: KIO2 connector safety modification?

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
There was a another suggestion made, that I've done.  Cut a
slot in the shell of the male connector directly above pin 3, and
solder a bit of wire for a key onto the shell of the female connector.

http://members.cox.net/cwnut/KI02_Serial_2.pdf

73, doug

   From: "W3FPR - Don Wilhelm" <[hidden email]>
   Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:25:27 -0500

   Bart,

   That was my suggestion, and it was only a post on the reflector, I did not
   write up anything further.
   The details are as you recall - Pin 4 is not used, so that is the one to
   sacrifice.  To plug the hole, you can use most anything, a whittled down
   piece of toothpick for example.  I used a bit of wire just large enough to
   stay securely in the hole.

   I have also implemented a different cure - I just made a short IO cable
   (about 5 inches long) that is permanently screwed onto the KIO2 connector,
   the short cable is built just like the normal K2 cable except that I
   connected the shield on both ends.  Since the wires that may damage the K2
   are not connected in this short cable, any normal RS-232 cable can be used
   with no harm, but for shielding/isolation purposes, I use the normal K2 to
   PC cable.

   So now you have 2 ways of providing protection - take your pick.

   > I seem to recall that somebody somewhere reported adding a safety measure
   > to the IO connector and the matching cable. It involved plugging one hole
   > in the K2's IO socket and cutting a pin fom the corresponding connector on
   > the cable, I think.
   > The idea was to prevent one from using any old cable in a moment
   > of -let's-get-it-going- rush, a phenomenom we all seem to recognize... ;-)
   >
   > Anyway, being in the proces of building the KIO2, I cannot find the
   > article anywhere but contemplate implementing such a safety feature. I
   > wouldn't know which pin to sacrifice (might take one out that is needed in
   > a future application). Any pointers from the list?
   >
   > Best,
   >
   > Bart de PA3GYU

Re: KIO2 connector safety modification?

Jack Brindle
According to the "LA3ZA Unofficial Guide to K2 Modifications" page
desire was created by KH6NO and is located at:
http://members.cox.net/cwnut/KI02_Serial_2.pdf

It is a two-page PDF.

On Jan 15, 2005, at 5:40 AM, PA3GYU wrote:

> I seem to recall that somebody somewhere reported adding a safety
> measure to the IO connector and the matching cable. It involved
> plugging one hole in the K2's IO socket and cutting a pin fom the
> corresponding connector on the cable, I think.
> The idea was to prevent one from using any old cable in a moment of
> -let's-get-it-going- rush, a phenomenom we all seem to recognize...
> ;-)
>
> Anyway, being in the proces of building the KIO2, I cannot find the
> article anywhere but contemplate implementing such a safety feature. I
> wouldn't know which pin to sacrifice (might take one out that is
> needed in a future application). Any pointers from the list?

- Jack Brindle, W6FB

Re: KIO2 connector safety modification?

PA3GYU
Guys, I knew you would come through...;-)

So there's basically three ways to do this:
1. Block pin 4 of the KIO2 and cut the corresponding pin from the male
connector.
2. Create a short cable and leave it attached.
3. Cut a slot in the shell of the male connector directly above pin 3, and
solder a bit of wire for a key onto the shell of the female connector. See
http://members.cox.net/cwnut/KI02_Serial_2.pdf

The latter one I had seen before, but forgot about. As soon as I saw it
again, I recognized the pictures.. And solution #1 was what remembered and
thought I'd seen pictures of. Thanks for sorting me out.

I think I'll go for #3 with a slight twist (why standardize, eh?): I think
I'll put the wire on the female connector at the bottom instead of on the
top (yes I'll remember to file the slot accordingly). The female connector
will look less 'doctered' that way.

Thanks again,
Bart de PA3GYU.