KPA-1500 design

Gary Gregory
*Well all this speculation is fine, however, if every station calling CQ
from the US added the ability to RECEIVE one additional S unit, I think
this would be far less expensive than a 1500W solid state amplifier that is
just going to add to the QRM already on the bands.

I often hear signals from the US and they are a genuine 59 signal. However,
when VK's answer the call, I hear them being told they are 51/52 and the
QRM is 59...so this begs the question...how is 1500W output going to help?

The KPA-500 is a genuine 500W amplifier and I have found it great to use
with a 4 element yagi. Expecting to work the EU with a G5RV and 1500W is
about as silly an idea as trying the KPA-500 into a 1/4 wave mobile whip.
Yes there are conditions where everything works, but not often.

Before anyone tries to tell me about antennas in the ceiling etc, remember
I run compromised antennas all the time and I don't see how 1500W is going
to help much. I think there are more than enough stations transmitting
beyond the capability of their antennas and radios and I don't think I need
to add to the noise.

JM2CW

Gary
*
--
Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile

Re: KPA-1500 design

N5GE

Amen,

Gary;  I have an Alpha 87A, and since I got the KPA500 it has set dormant on the
shelf.  The 87A is fully automatic as is the KPA500, but the KPA500 changes
bands faster and has no warm up or detectable tune time.  I can't count how many
DX stations I missed waiting for it to do the three minute warm up.

Don't get me wrong.  The 87A is a great amp, but it can't match the warm up and
band change speed of the KPA500.

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:25:22 +1000, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]
>The KPA-500 is a genuine 500W amplifier and I have found it great to use
>with a 4 element yagi. Expecting to work the EU with a G5RV and 1500W is
>about as silly an idea as trying the KPA-500 into a 1/4 wave mobile whip.
>Yes there are conditions where everything works, but not often.

[snip]
>JM2CW
>
>Gary
>*

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: KPA-1500 design

GREG WILSON
And now just think how great it would be if Elecraft technology were applied
to a 1500 watt brick on the key amplifier...Actually with an "instant on"
tube -- would be great!  How about bringing back the old vapor cooled
amplifier with auto tune...Wow...  73 de Greg-N4CC

Gary;  I have an Alpha 87A, and since I got the KPA500 it has set dormant on
the shelf.  The 87A is fully automatic as is the KPA500, but the KPA500
changes bands faster and has no warm up or detectable tune time.  I can't
count how many DX stations I missed waiting for it to do the three minute
warm up.

Don't get me wrong.  The 87A is a great amp, but it can't match the warm up
and band change speed of the KPA500.

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:25:22 +1000, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

[snip]
>The KPA-500 is a genuine 500W amplifier and I have found it great to
>use with a 4 element yagi. Expecting to work the EU with a G5RV and
>1500W is about as silly an idea as trying the KPA-500 into a 1/4 wave
mobile whip.
>Yes there are conditions where everything works, but not often.

[snip]
>JM2CW
>
>Gary
>*

Re: KPA-1500 design

Cookie
Would you go for it if Elecraft just bought some Alphas with no paint and painted on the Big E and added 2 grand for the effort?

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

________________________________

Gary;  I have an Alpha 87A, and since I got the KPA500 it has set dormant on
the shelf.  The 87A is fully automatic as is the KPA500, but the KPA500
changes bands faster and has no warm up or detectable tune time.  I can't
count how many DX stations I missed waiting for it to do the three minute
warm up.

Don't get me wrong.  The 87A is a great amp, but it can't match the warm up
and band change speed of the KPA500.

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:25:22 +1000, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
wrote:

[snip]
>The KPA-500 is a genuine 500W amplifier and I have found it great to
>use with a 4 element yagi. Expecting to work the EU with a G5RV and
>1500W is about as silly an idea as trying the KPA-500 into a 1/4 wave
mobile whip.
>Yes there are conditions where everything works, but not often.

[snip]
>JM2CW
>
>Gary
>*

Re: KPA-1500 design

David Gilbert

It all depends upon whether you're looking for more power to compete
with QRM or QRN.  If you're trying to rise above the QRM and everybody
does the same, there's not much net gain.   At any given time, though,
the QRN is fixed and as best we know isn't smart enough to try to
compete with you.

Dave   AB7E