KPA 500

Locked 57 messages Options

Re: KPA 500

Guy, K2AV
There are a bunch of guys on this reflector, however decent and
technically competent, that I would never want to run a business I had
stock in.  Decent folks, probably be great neighbors, and favored ham
buddies, would trust my kids with them, but they would do what 85% of
all startup businesses do, go bankrupt.

There is a concept they are edging toward in their K3 nit-picking, and
it's called mil-spec.  They just don't want to admit it.

A company that makes mil-spec MUST charge for it.  A company that
allows construction options MUST charge for it.  The screws themselves
either add bucks to ALL of the products, OR options increase
production complexity and therefore cost for the option.

However embedded, LABOR is the major cost of a radio.  Even the cost
of a screw has labor embedded in it.

There ARE mil-spec radios that exceed K3 specs.  You can buy them.
You can get a LOT of that mil-spec in a K3, but not all.  Exactly what
part of that "lot of a mil-spec" was a business decision.

If Elecraft were to go bankrupt, I'm fairly convinced that would make
some posters happy.  But bankrupt would bring further development and
features to a crashing halt.  And who repairs K3's then?  Who will
line up a source for your stainless screws and make them available
then.

There's a real easy answer for the malcontents.  Are you peeved?  Put
it up for sale right here.  I've noticed that they sell REALLY fast,
usually in a couple hours for most of the retail price.  Then you can
go to another reflector and complain about Yakencom.  They'll be happy
to have you back.  They might even put you in an ad about how you
switched back to Yakencom because you didn't like the screws.

OR, you could go out and buy 4000 K3's worth of stainless steel
screws, drop your day job, spend several thousand dollars on
advertisements for your new stainless steel screw replacement service,
charge four times the minimum wage for your assembly time plus screw
cost, and then wait for the business and profits to roll in to pay
your mortgage and grocery bill.

Myself, I hope Elecraft keeps making SOUND BUSINESS DECISIONS.  I
already know they have the technical moxy and the most
customer-centric policies in this business niche. At this point, for
me personally, their greatest worth is that they stay in business and
keep developing.  I want them PROFITABLE so I get to keep them. I feel
good about that because Elecraft was developing products and making a
profit right through the worst recession since the great depression on
a product line that is completely optional to everyday life.

They must be doing SOMETHING right smack on dead center to have half
of all the transceivers at WRTC and made it through these financial
conditions.

73, Guy.

Re: KPA 500

Paul Milward
Well said Gary

They are doing it right and I for one hope and expect them to continue doing
Paul, NU4C

________________________________

Re: KPA 500

Jim Brown-10
  On 10/19/2010 6:35 AM, James Sarte wrote:
> But, to charge 20 dollars for a bag of screws is a bit beyond me.

Have you ever worked in a business?  Did you work for free?  Most people
I know want to get paid for working, and you've got to pay benefits and
taxes.  There also must be a place for them to work, that you must buy
or rent. Someone must count and pack those screws. Someone must
inventory them. Someone must order them.  It takes space to store them.
The package they ship in costs something. Yes, the screws aren't big,
but the package must be large enough to hold a label and not get lost in
shipping. You've got to buy that package and inventory it.  Someone must
take your order and type up a mailing label and a packing list. Someone
must ship them.

Yes, it's  only a bag of screws. Companies who ignore all of the above
go out of business pretty quickly.  I want a company that I buy
something from to be there when I need them.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: KPA 500

Eugene Balinski
Has there been any thought about possibly providing DC
power and control signals for the new antenna tuner over
the cax interconnection cable?    Might be nice to only
need one cable beween the radio/amp and the coupler.

73

Gene K1NR

K2 6kxx

> Wayne Burdick wrote:
> >Very rugged relay-switched L network. Probably about the
> size of a P3,
> >and usable at the base of the antenna or indoors.
> Probably 4 antenna
> >jacks.
> >
> >That's all for now :)

Re: KPA 500

Giulio Pico - IW3HVB
I'm waiting for the "End of Thread" msg by Wayne....

Anyway IMHO using non-stainless screws on the K3 is a flaw.
Seen from a producer perspective the difference in costs between the regular
screws and a stainless bunch is minimal.
Things become different when you have to prepare kits for substitution.
In any case why sould it be a flaw? It is not a matter of MIL specs, nor a
matter of "a radio worth 2000$ should have them".
It's more a matter of consistency. The K3 is a radio targeted for
Dxpeditions, field use etc (Elecraft says that!). So it is quite surprising
the choice about the original screws.

By the way I'm quite happy with my stainless screw, had to change the
original that became quite rusty after a dxpedition of 1 week in 8Q7 and
after some contest with the Venice Lagoon Contest Team.

These my 3 cents, for the screws......

73 de Giulio IW3HVB

--
Follow the path of the Prophets...
(From Star Trek DS9)

Re: KPA 500

wayne burdick

> If it's still possible at this stage in the design process, please
> consider a "bare" (or minimally enclosed) packaging option for the
> ATU,
> which can then be installed in the user's own weatherproof enclosure.

This is exactly what we plan to do.

> Many people may want an outdoor ATU, but the standards of
> weatherproofing required in different parts of the world vary
> enormously. Users in wet climates require very high standards of
> weatherproofing which users in more 'average' climates shouldn't
> have to
> pay for.

Right.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

OT: Cost of "screws"

Ken Kopp-3

There are always "hidden" costs, and one best be aware
of them.  The supplier of the SS screws to Elecraft most
likely charged Elecraft a "Shipping and handling fee", and
even that needs to be factored in.

Even Rose's small in-home "business" has hidden costs!
She buys shipping boxes, padded envelopes, mailing labels
-and- the printer to print them, package sealing tape, plastic
bags to keep the covers and cases clean, etc. Let's not
forget the telephone and Internet costs, either.  Oh, I forgot
about the PayPal fees ... and the printer ... and the paper ...
and file folders ... and the file cabinet ... and added lighting
in her sewing room ... and the income tax software.

The embroidery software cost just under $1500, and the total
cost of her sewing machines and computers is about $14K.

A trip to a west coast hamfest from the outback of Montana
can easily cost $2000, and this is nothing compared to the
cost of putting the Elecraft show on the road.

Buying fabric stock requires a 230 mile round trip, with the
accompanying vehicle costs.  Even taking an order into
town to the PO uses about three gallons of fuel. (;-)

And, of course there's the cost of upkeep for the shipping
and handling staff ... me. (:-)

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
       [hidden email]

Re: KPA 500 or SPE EXPERT 1K-FA

W4GRJ
I am sure the KPA 500 will be an outstanding amplifier however, there is an
existing alternative with advantages (besides 1kw) over the KPA 500. Namely
a built in antenna tuner in addition to power supply. The spec says it tunes
3:1 but mine will match 5.5:1 automatically and close to 10:1 manual mode.
Very compact  (W 11.02", H 5.51", D 12.60") see all the specs
http://www.steppir.com/SteppirSPE.html

However, the 1K-FA is not suitable for outdoor application.

Jack
W4GRJ

Rose's Cases

Jim Brown-10
  On 10/19/2010 10:45 AM, Ken Kopp wrote:
> Even Rose's small in-home "business" has hidden costs!

I sure know about some of those costs -- my XYL has as many sewing
machines as I have rigs, and some of my rigs are less expensive!

Add me to the list of those who love Rose's cases. I just received two
of them (for me and N3ZZ)  to take on a trip to PJ4 for CQWW CW, and
they are excellent. Made with a few custom features, just for us.  And
at a price I consider a bargain.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: Stainless Steel Screws

David Gilbert

I've really tried to stay out of this one, but ...

I disagree.   I think it IS a matter of "mil-spec" expectations.

Can anyone tell me why the only focus here is on the screws?  The K3
isn't hermetic ... there are large openings everywhere and the PA fans
aggressively suck whatever is outside the rig inside the rig.  If you're
exposing your K3 to an atmosphere malignant enough to corrode the screws
it seems to me that you have bigger issues to worry about inside the
rig.  Whether the screws are corroding due to the combination of
moisture and dissimilar metals (steel and aluminum), or due to the
combination of moisture and corrosive ions (salt atmosphere, air
pollution, etc), why wouldn't essentially the same thing be happening to
the components and circuit boards?

Maybe the stock screws should be thought of as a "fuse" (weakest link)
to let you know that you're doing something wrong.

Dave   AB7E

On 10/19/2010 10:21 AM, Giulio IW3HVB wrote:

> I'm waiting for the "End of Thread" msg by Wayne....
>
> Anyway IMHO using non-stainless screws on the K3 is a flaw.
> Seen from a producer perspective the difference in costs between the regular
> screws and a stainless bunch is minimal.
> Things become different when you have to prepare kits for substitution.
> In any case why sould it be a flaw? It is not a matter of MIL specs, nor a
> matter of "a radio worth 2000$ should have them".
> It's more a matter of consistency. The K3 is a radio targeted for
> Dxpeditions, field use etc (Elecraft says that!). So it is quite surprising
> the choice about the original screws.
>
> By the way I'm quite happy with my stainless screw, had to change the
> original that became quite rusty after a dxpedition of 1 week in 8Q7 and
> after some contest with the Venice Lagoon Contest Team.
>
> These my 3 cents, for the screws......
>
> 73 de Giulio IW3HVB

Re: Re: KPA 500

Rick Dettinger-3
Yes, and the nature of the humidity.  I don't know if there is
actually salt in the air over the oceans, but my uncle was a
commercial fisherman working off the Oregon and California coasts in
the 1950s and '60's.  When his AM marine band transceiver finally
"retired", he gave it to me to use for parts.  It had led a hard life
at sea and there was not much that I considered useable inside.  Most
of the screws were corroded in place.  Metal condenser plates
(remember, this was in the '50's!) were mostly white.  As a new
novice, I was rather disappointed.
If the case screws of my K3 rusted, I would be concerned about what
might be happening inside the box.  At least the old tube gear ran
warm enough to dry out in use.  Of course, any salt would remain.
That could be a problem!

73,

Rick Dettinger   K7MW

> Johnny, it must have a lot to do with the temperature AND humidity.
> I live a few hundred yards from the Pacific ocean on the Oregon
> coast listening to the pounding surf 24/7. The relative humidity in
> the shack is always between 60 and 80%, yet I have no sign of
> corrosion on any of my Elecraft gear.
>
> However, the temperature here on a really hot day is about 70 to 75F
> and typical summer high temps are closer to 60F. In the winter high
> temps usually in the 30's or 40's.
>
> It is wet here where the conifer forests grow right down to the
> water's edge with lots of rain. It's said we Oregonians don't tan,
> we rust. But none of my Elecraft gear has shown the slightest sign
> of rust, nor do automobiles or other equipment left outdoors have
> unusual corrosion issues.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Re: KPA 500

gm3sek
Wayne Burdick wrote:

>> If it's still possible at this stage in the design process, please
>>consider a "bare" (or minimally enclosed) packaging option for the
>>ATU,  which can then be installed in the user's own weatherproof
>>enclosure.
>
>This is exactly what we plan to do.
>

>> Many people may want an outdoor ATU, but the standards of
>>weatherproofing required in different parts of the world vary
>>enormously. Users in wet climates require very high standards of
>>weatherproofing which users in more 'average' climates shouldn't have
>>to  pay for.
>
>Right.

Excellent - thank you!

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Re: KPA 500

Dick Dickinson
----
Hi Wayne,

Between '"bare" (or minimally enclosed) packaging option,' 'user's own
weatherproof enclosure,' and mention of "average' climates' weatherproofing,
it's not clear if Elecraft will offer a remote weatherproof enclosure which
might do for a large percentage of users non-extreme climates.  I'll not
attempt to define extreme.

I'm pleased to know that such an ATU is coming from Elecraft.

73,
Dick - KA5KKT

>> If it's still possible at this stage in the design process, please
>> consider a "bare" (or minimally enclosed) packaging option for the
>> ATU,
>> which can then be installed in the user's own weatherproof enclosure.

>This is exactly what we plan to do.

>> Many people may want an outdoor ATU, but the standards of
>> weatherproofing required in different parts of the world vary
>> enormously. Users in wet climates require very high standards of
>> weatherproofing which users in more 'average' climates shouldn't
>> have to
>> pay for.

>Right.

>73,
>Wayne
>N6KR

Re: KPA 500

Cookie
The black screws look nice and some would complain if the screws were shiny
metallic.  I live in the swamps of south Texas and I have nary a bit of rust on
the screws in #1025 after more than two years and one hurricane eye.  I do
have my shack air conditioned most of the time except for a couple of weeks
after Ike and the last couple of weeks with an electrical problem waiting for
the electrician to do his thing.  It is a can't win world, we get a 10K radio
for 3K, work lots of DX, get good reports and some worry about $10 for some
screws.  Keep up the good work Wayne and Eric!  Some of us are happy campers but
it is hard to tell from this forum.
 Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

________________________________

Now screws, was Re: KPA 500

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604
I do note that the insructions for the replacement of the screws is
NOT on the website.  I have the kit, and see that there are 113 pieces
of 14 different size screws/nuts.  $20. for that, and the instructions,
strikes me as being a bargain.

I haven't installed them yet, but we'll see how my K3 looks
after 2 1/2 months on Pacific and Asian islands, and then 5 months on
a wooden ship at sea.

I've seen a K2, that lived in the Caribbean, with rusty screws (and that
was in 2002), but neither of my K2's has any obvious rust and they've
been to the Pacific and Indian Oceans and the Arabian Sea.

73, doug

Re: KPA 500

Gary Bartlett VE1RGB
K3 #95 and P3 #7 are heading to CY0 on Thursday.  That is a very hostile
environment for any kind of hardware.  The radios will be exposed to it for
eight days.  I'll pay particular attention to inspecting my chassis when I
get back and see if I can detect any evidence of a problem.  In fact there
will be a second (newer model) K3 there (AI5P) and I'll check it too.  I'll
report in early November.

For DXers:  see  http://www.cy0dxpedition.com/

[What I am personally looking forward to on this trip is seeing how well the
P3 can be employed for pile-up management, with visible monitoring of the TX
QRG as a bonus.  I've come up with seven reasons why I think it is going to
be a big help, especially in the early days before operator rust is removed,
and I will likely write that up that experience as a second eHam review of
the P3 as a FT.]

Thanks for the advertising space, Wayne and Eric.

        73,
        Gary, VE1RGB/CY0

Re: KPA 500

k6dgw
On 10/19/2010 10:18 AM, Eugene Balinski wrote:
> Has there been any thought about possibly providing DC
> power and control signals for the new antenna tuner over
> the cax interconnection cable?    Might be nice to only
> need one cable beween the radio/amp and the coupler.

This one gets a second from me.  With 4 selectable antenna outputs, my
plan would be to remote the tuner to the base of my tower and feed my
wires for 40 and 30 through two of them and the two Inv-L's for 80 and
160 thru the others.  Nice idea,

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: Rose's Cases

bobgarceau
Yes, I purchased one of  Rose's cases. I plan to use it on a trip St. Croix next
month.

Nicely made. My wife is into sewing and praised the workmanship. Pardon the pun.

Bob, W1EQ

________________________________
> Even Rose's small in-home "business" has hidden costs!

I sure know about some of those costs -- my XYL has as many sewing
machines as I have rigs, and some of my rigs are less expensive!

Add me to the list of those who love Rose's cases. I just received two
of them (for me and N3ZZ)  to take on a trip to PJ4 for CQWW CW, and
they are excellent. Made with a few custom features, just for us.  And
at a price I consider a bargain.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: KPA 500

K2QI
Yes I've worked in a business.  I also don't work for free.  I do however
know the difference between a value-added product and something that may be
a bit more than that.  I wasn't born yesterday, so please don't insult my
intelligence.

My point is this.  Stainless steel screws don't cost much more than standard
hardware.  I'm not asking Elecraft to go out of business, so that sort of
talk is ridiculous.  All I'm saying is that if the difference in cost is
marginal, why doesn't Elecraft just include stainless hardware with all
future K3s?  At the very least, they can give you that option at ordering
and charge for the difference.

Maybe some of you guys don't care what you do with your money, but in this
lousy economy, I can't justify spendingl 20 dollars for a 5 dollar bag of
screws.

73 de James K2QI

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Have you ever worked in a business?  Did you work for free?  Most people
> I know want to get paid for working, and you've got to pay benefits and
> taxes.  There also must be a place for them to work, that you must buy
> or rent. Someone must count and pack those screws. Someone must
> inventory them. Someone must order them.  It takes space to store them.
> The package they ship in costs something. Yes, the screws aren't big,
> but the package must be large enough to hold a label and not get lost in
> shipping. You've got to buy that package and inventory it.  Someone must
> take your order and type up a mailing label and a packing list. Someone
> must ship them.
>
> Yes, it's  only a bag of screws. Companies who ignore all of the above
> go out of business pretty quickly.  I want a company that I buy
> something from to be there when I need them.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

73 de James K2QI
President UNARC/4U1UN

--... ...-- -.. . .--- .- -- . ...

Re: KPA 500

Terry Schieler
Guy, K2AV wrote:  " I want them PROFITABLE so I get to keep them."

That's a message I've used in our business for many years.  "You NEED me to
be profitable so that I am around to continue to serve your needs" is a
statement that I've ingrained in my sales reps.  When you are not the "low
priced spread" in an industry you are constantly faced with customers who
admit that they really prefer your level of quality, service and attention,
but keep on reminding you that somebody else is doing it "cheaper".

I had a customer tell me that "I used to buy this model from XX for much
less than you are charging me".  When I told him that I then would recommend
that he go back to that supplier and continue to purchase from him, the
customer's response was "I can't....he's no longer in business!"

Hmmmm.  Wonder why he's out of business. Many hams don't understand that.
Guy gets it!

73,

Terry, W0FM
K3 #474