KPA 500

greenacres113-2
I guess because I'm a DXer more than contester [ a lot more] I  don't  see the need for a coax melting amp. I see 5-600 W as just about right. There are amps on the market that brag they give you an easy KW. What they're really saying is this baby will go 2+ with a bit of a push. That's DC  out. Why are baluns & coax advertised as good to 5 KW PEP. WINK WINK
I was always under the impression antenna  was the  most important thing. If you have a good tuned antenna why do you need massive tuners. I rarely venture onto SSB so maybe I'd use a tuner because ALL my antennas are tuned for CW.All are under 1:1.3 SWR. I just tap the tune button on the K3 so the little graph doesn't wiggle as I send.You can pump  massive watts into a wet string. You'll make contacts but ........... I currently use an Ameritron AL 811H. Don't use a tuner.
I like the idea of an amp in sync with my K3. As an Elecraft owner I guess I'm biased.
As someone chasing 10 band DXCC I see the addition of 6m as a great selling point. I've done the first 9 &  three quarters of the way on 6m. The KPA 500 is right in my wheelhouse. I see this new amp as a sole mate to my K3. Why did guys get the L4B to mate with their Drakes or the Collins amp to go with their S Lines? It just feels right that's why.
These thoughts are not based on price or some data sheet. I just buy what  feels right. As to the Yuppie comment. I worked in an office downtown for  32 yr.s before I retired. It was the Post Office. I was  blue collar. Blue shirt, blue pants & blue tie too. My hat was blue too.
K9IL

Re: KPA 500

James Hall-2
Hello All:

I guess I'll throw my 2 cents worth in the pot. I have been waiting for a
QRO amplifier from Elecraft for some time now. I've truly enjoyed all my
Elecraft products which include four radios. The build of the K2/100 was the
richest experience and I learned a very great deal. The QRO amplifier was
talked about and a prototype was displayed many years ago now.

I finally decided to put to use my 20 year old Kenwood TL-922A amplifier.
The problem was that it required a buffer between the newer radios and this
amp, it was a noise maker with its heavy relay, and had problems with flash
over most likely due to VHF parasitics. There is a great deal of information
on upgrading this finely built amplifier on the internet and I finally took
the plunge to do the modifications. It took a couple months to gather up
items needed and do the mods but it now has an electronic cathode bias
circuit, full QSK using the little Gigavac GH1 vacuum relay, a step start
circuit using that big noisy relay (it only snaps shut once now!), no ALC
circuitry, modified VHF parasitic suppression, and I can drive it equally
well with my Drake T4XB or my K3. The project was fun, I learned a very
great deal, and the result was excellent. No more flash-overs and clean
output. And the old girls, the 3-500Z's, are still shining well.

The one thing that is missing is 6M amplification. This is where the new
Elecraft KPA-500 will do well. I believe the new 6M Alpha (RF Concepts) amp
will cost more than the KPA-500 but it will give you 1500 watts - easy. The
new solid state technology with light-weight power supplies is certainly the
way of the future and the small matching Elecraft footprint is a definite
plus especially for DXpeditions. Will I buy one ? It depends. It will be
very hard to part with my modified TL-922 since it is now 'personalized'.
And with the experience and knowledge gained from that process, I may decide
to build a 6M amplifier to round it all out. Now if Elecraft were to come
out with a KPA-500-6M 6M only amp . J

73, Jamie

WB4YDL

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Re: KPA 500

Ray Sills
Hi Gang:

Of course, some hams are QRP people.  Not particularly interested in -
any- amp.  Horses for courses, I guess.

73 de Ray
K2ULR