KPA-500 vs others

alsopb
I guess I'm just a Missouri mule.  However,  I see that most of these
posting praising the KPA500 and the posters don't even have one.

Wouldn't logic say, you can't make a comparison without having the items
you're comparing?

BTW in the 500 vs 1500 watt debate, there is a tool which can pretty
much settle the issue.  It's called VOACAP.  It is a propagation
coverage tool which allows you to specify your power, antenna and
produces a map of what coverage you'll get for the prevailing solar
indices and time of day.   There is a free online version at:

http://www.voacap.com/prediction.html

Select the area coverage option.

For me, it is pretty convincing (I'm a primarily a DXer) that 1500 watts
suits my operating needs, 500 watts does not.  For example two maps run
this morning on 40M shows zero probability of making a contact with VK,
however with 1500 watts it the probability becomes reasonable.

One factor VOACAP can't consider is competition.   I think it is a given
that more 5db power will suit you better in a pileup.  If you're an old
goat and your biological clock it ticking, working what you can hear
quickly makes sense.

However, everyone's circumstances are different.  But at least one ought
to try to evaluate them with available tools rather than just relying on
word of mouth.

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.

KPA500 vs. other amps

AK4IK_Ian
All,

I am about to blaspheme.  I know this ahead of sending this email, and offer
my mea culpas accordingly.  However, I have a question.  Why should I buy
the KPA500 when I can get higher-powered (although, admittedly, not much
higher powered) solid state amps for about 2/3 the cost of a KPA500?

Please feel free to discuss and lambast the poster as you feel appropriate.
Just no tarring and feathering, please. ;-)

Thanks for the input.

73,

Ian, AK4IK
K3 #281, P3 #688

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Don Wilhelm-4
  Ian,

1) You want your amplifier and its power supply to weigh only 36 pounds.
2) You want your amp's power supply to be a linear type rather than a
switcher
3) You want an amplifier that is the same size and shape of your K3.
4) You want an amplifier that "plays together" with your K3.

Others may contribute more reasons.

On 6/21/2011 8:51 AM, Ian Kahn wrote:

> All,
>
> I am about to blaspheme.  I know this ahead of sending this email, and offer
> my mea culpas accordingly.  However, I have a question.  Why should I buy
> the KPA500 when I can get higher-powered (although, admittedly, not much
> higher powered) solid state amps for about 2/3 the cost of a KPA500?
>
> Please feel free to discuss and lambast the poster as you feel appropriate.
> Just no tarring and feathering, please. ;-)

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Ross Primrose N4RP
That's how much bigger? And requires an external power supply? And
doesn't have automatic band switching?

73, Ross N4RP

On 6/21/2011 8:51 AM, Ian Kahn wrote:

> All,
>
> I am about to blaspheme.  I know this ahead of sending this email, and offer
> my mea culpas accordingly.  However, I have a question.  Why should I buy
> the KPA500 when I can get higher-powered (although, admittedly, not much
> higher powered) solid state amps for about 2/3 the cost of a KPA500?
>
> Please feel free to discuss and lambast the poster as you feel appropriate.
> Just no tarring and feathering, please. ;-)
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> 73,
>
> Ian, AK4IK
> K3 #281, P3 #688

FCC Section 97.313(a) “At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.”

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Bob Naumann W5OV
Any solid state amp that costs less than the KPA500 is of lower quality.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with the THP HL550FX that has a switching power
supply.

73,

Bob W5OV

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Raymond Sills
Hi Ian:

It's not about cost.  It's about value.  They are not the same thing.

73 de Ray
K2ULR

On Jun 21, 2011, at 8:51 AM, Ian Kahn wrote:

> All,
>
> I am about to blaspheme.  I know this ahead of sending this email,
> and offer
> my mea culpas accordingly.  However, I have a question.  Why should
> I buy
> the KPA500 when I can get higher-powered (although, admittedly, not
> much
> higher powered) solid state amps for about 2/3 the cost of a KPA500?
>
> Please feel free to discuss and lambast the poster as you feel
> appropriate.
> Just no tarring and feathering, please. ;-)
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> 73,
>
> Ian, AK4IK
> K3 #281, P3 #688

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Gary Gregory
It IS about quality...it is not about about price.

Gary

On 21 June 2011 23:26, Ray Sills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ian:
>
> It's not about cost.  It's about value.  They are not the same thing.
>
> 73 de Ray
> K2ULR
>
> On Jun 21, 2011, at 8:51 AM, Ian Kahn wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I am about to blaspheme.  I know this ahead of sending this email,
> > and offer
> > my mea culpas accordingly.  However, I have a question.  Why should
> > I buy
> > the KPA500 when I can get higher-powered (although, admittedly, not
> > much
> > higher powered) solid state amps for about 2/3 the cost of a KPA500?
> >
> > Please feel free to discuss and lambast the poster as you feel
> > appropriate.
> > Just no tarring and feathering, please. ;-)
> >
> > Thanks for the input.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Ian, AK4IK
> > K3 #281, P3 #688
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Terry Posey
5) You require an amplifier that plays full power also on 6 meters.

73, Terry K4RX

  Ian,

1) You want your amplifier and its power supply to weigh only 36 pounds.
2) You want your amp's power supply to be a linear type rather than a
switcher
3) You want an amplifier that is the same size and shape of your K3.
4) You want an amplifier that "plays together" with your K3.

Others may contribute more reasons.

On 6/21/2011 8:51 AM, Ian Kahn wrote:
> All,
>
> I am about to blaspheme.  I know this ahead of sending this email, and
offer
> my mea culpas accordingly.  However, I have a question.  Why should I buy
> the KPA500 when I can get higher-powered (although, admittedly, not much
> higher powered) solid state amps for about 2/3 the cost of a KPA500?

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Jim Brown-10
On 6/21/2011 5:51 AM, Ian Kahn wrote:
>   Why should I buy
> the KPA500 when I can get higher-powered (although, admittedly, not much
> higher powered) solid state amps for about 2/3 the cost of a KPA500?

I don't pretend to be an expert on all of the power amps available. But
there's far more to buying power amp than watts.  We're buying
reliability, operational convenience/features, technical specs (low
intermod and harmonics), and a physical package that fits into the space
on our operating desk and on an airplane for a DX trip.

Last fall I had the negative thrill of using an el-cheapo amp during
CQWW at PJ4. (Two larger el-cheapo amps had been fried by a previous
user. One had been dragged back to the factory (in MS) and repaired, but
the second one wasn't known to have been fried until we fired it up, and
we didn't have the parts to repair it).  Although rated for 500 watts,
the little amp fell back to 300W when presented with moderately
mismatched antennas.  A few months ago, I had a pre-production beta
KPA500 for a major RTTY contest, with orders to run it with all the
lights lit.  When my antennas presented it with a 2:1 SWR, it fell back
from 600 W to 500W.

I installed my new KPA500 the same way the Elecraft engineer installed
the loaner for that RTTY contest -- coax in and out and PTT.  The first
sniff of RF drive causes the amp to set itself to the right band, and
I'm rolling.  If I'm working CW, I simply hit a dit after I've switched,
and it's there.  This is also the way that later generation Alpha amps
work, except that they're also doing antenna tuning. :)  I'll buy the
Elecraft tuner when it's available. And having looking inside those
el-cheapos and the KPA500, I think cost comparisons with Alpha and Acom
are far more appropriate.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Dave, G4AON
Can I add another dimension? I have an Acom 1000 which is fitted with
the additional rear panel fan for fairly quiet 1 KW continuous carrier
capability, it's a good amplifier for the shack and covers 160 - 6m with
a measured 1 KW into a dummy load. For an output of 400 Watts the Acom
needs around 20 ~ 40 Watts drive and comfortably works well from a K3.

The UK power limit is currently 400 Watts and I feel the reduced weight
of the KPA500 more than compensates for the difference in power and the
cost is similar, even allowing for expensive shipping of a kit from the
USA, etc.

I am looking to get a KPA500 once the ordering to delivery time closes a
little. I prefer to sell the Acom first and don't want to be without an
amplifier for too long...

If anyone in the UK is looking to buy an Acom 1000 in good condition,
contact me off list.

73 Dave, G4AON

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

george fritkin

What a reflector.  Sounds like a bunch of rationale to justify paying so much for the KPA500.  In my not to humble shack I have 18 transceivers in active positions each with an amp.  Some with "El Cheapo and some with "El Expensiveo" [HI] amplifiers.  Did someone say value?  I just do not see it in the KPA500.  I love my two K3s and they are the favorites of my visitors yes even over 10K radios.

So I probably never will buy one, but for those who like the feel of a fully integrated station and ignore the fact that on the air and your watt meter can not tell the difference, buy one

My opinion do not hate me!

Love my two K3s

George, W6GF

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Dave Perry N4QS
I've had my new KPA500 amp now for one week.  It's worth every penny!

Dave, N4QS

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Peter Chamalian
There are definitely benefits to having the transceiver and amp that are
designed to work together as would be the case here.  Mix and match can
sometimes be a challenge as I have with my K3 and solid state amp.  The two
do not talk to each other without the need for separate interfacing units.

There is nothing more exasperating than to have something go hiccup when you
are trying to work a contest or a new one on a different band.  Adding the
antenna tuner that is also designed to work with the collection is again a
plus.

Pete, W1RM

> the KPA500 when I can get higher-powered (although, admittedly, not much
> higher powered) solid state amps for about 2/3 the cost of a KPA500?

I don't pretend to be an expert on all of the power amps available. But
there's far more to buying power amp than watts.  We're buying
reliability, operational convenience/features, technical specs (low
intermod and harmonics), and a physical package that fits into the space
on our operating desk and on an airplane for a DX trip.

Last fall I had the negative thrill of using an el-cheapo amp during
CQWW at PJ4. (Two larger el-cheapo amps had been fried by a previous
user. One had been dragged back to the factory (in MS) and repaired, but
the second one wasn't known to have been fried until we fired it up, and
we didn't have the parts to repair it).  Although rated for 500 watts,
the little amp fell back to 300W when presented with moderately
mismatched antennas.  A few months ago, I had a pre-production beta
KPA500 for a major RTTY contest, with orders to run it with all the
lights lit.  When my antennas presented it with a 2:1 SWR, it fell back
from 600 W to 500W.

I installed my new KPA500 the same way the Elecraft engineer installed
the loaner for that RTTY contest -- coax in and out and PTT.  The first
sniff of RF drive causes the amp to set itself to the right band, and
I'm rolling.  If I'm working CW, I simply hit a dit after I've switched,
and it's there.  This is also the way that later generation Alpha amps
work, except that they're also doing antenna tuning. :)  I'll buy the
Elecraft tuner when it's available. And having looking inside those
el-cheapos and the KPA500, I think cost comparisons with Alpha and Acom
are far more appropriate.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Bill W4ZV
george fritkin wrote
What a reflector.  Sounds like a bunch of rationale to justify paying so much for the KPA500.  In my not to humble shack I have 18 transceivers in active positions each with an amp.  Some with "El Cheapo and some with "El Expensiveo" [HI] amplifiers.  Did someone say value?  I just do not see it in the KPA500.  I love my two K3s and they are the favorites of my visitors yes even over 10K radios.
I could say something about the "value" of both of the current $10k radios on the market but will refrain.  JMHO but anyone who has 18 transceivers and amplifiers should not lecture others about value.  :-)

73,  Bill

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

donhall161
Touche!!

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

Tim Tucker
Why not buy the KPA500?  Because it's not at least 1KW.  I see no need to
replace a perfectly good tube amp capable of 2+ KW to get auto band
switching functionality. I can band switch and retune faster than I can
justify the expense of a new amp, lol.  Give me a KPA1000 and I can probably
talk myself into selling the tube amp and going the solid state route.

Tim

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 8:25 AM, donhall161 <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Touche!!

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

W4CCS

Well said Bill..!!

W4CCS

On 6/21/2011 11:17 AM, Bill W4ZV wrote:

> george fritkin wrote:
>> What a reflector.  Sounds like a bunch of rationale to justify paying so
>> much for the KPA500.  In my not to humble shack I have 18 transceivers in
>> active positions each with an amp.  Some with "El Cheapo and some with "El
>> Expensiveo" [HI] amplifiers.  Did someone say value?  I just do not see it
>> in the KPA500.  I love my two K3s and they are the favorites of my
>> visitors yes even over 10K radios.
>>
> I could say something about the "value" of both of the current $10k radios
> on the market but will refrain.  JMHO but anyone who has 18 transceivers and
> amplifiers should not lecture others about value.  :-)
>
> 73,  Bill

Re: KPA500 vs. other amps

wayne burdick
The KPA500 is our first amplifier, and we set the bar very high for
engineering team:

- small size and light weight
- conservative 500-W rating
- excellent IMD performance
- seamless integration with the K3 (physically and electrically)
- instant band-switching with any transceiver and flexible I/O
- essentially zero added transmit noise (hence the linear supply)
- very fast CW breaking (matching the's K3's "QRQ" mode)
- exceptional reliability

I don't know of any other amp that meets all of the above criteria. Of
course your criteria may differ.

We're working hard to ensure that the KPA500 will be the best amp we
can deliver. We hope hope to build on this foundation in future
products.

73,
Wayne
N6KR