KPA100 DC connector WARNING ALERT

Steve Jackson-5
At Field Day, if you will be using your K2 with the
KPA100 ... note that the radio's high-current DC port
is 180 degrees reversed from the national ARES
standard:

http://www.ocraces.org/powerpole.html
http://www.westmountainradio.com/pdf/QSTrr.pdf
http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/app.htm

If other Field Day attendees attempt to connect you
rig to a standard-configured PowerPole fitting, they
will be connecting with reverse polarity, and this
will blow the fuse.

Hopefully there IS a fuse ...

Otherwise, quite a lot of smoke will come out of many
places.

Now that I realize the problem, I will be re-doing my
KPA100 connector with a wire pigtail instead of the PC
mount, to make the rear panel fitting the correct
polarity.  The rear panel is also silk-screened
backwards ( + and - ) from the standard but I will
make a label of some sort to cover that up.

Good luck and be careful out there.  Don't let others
use your K2/KPA100 rig unless they also use YOUR power
wire.  If they try to hook it up to an ARES standard
club power block, uh-oh.

73 Steve KZ1X/4

Re: KPA100 DC connector WARNING ALERT

Tom Hammond-3
Hi Steve:

At 11:04 PM 6/25/04, Steve Jackson wrote:
>At Field Day, if you will be using your K2 with the
>KPA100 ... note that the radio's high-current DC port
>is 180 degrees reversed from the national ARES
>standard:

I believe you're mistaken pal. The KPA100 APP connector match IDENTICALLY
the examples shown at http://www.ocraces.org/powerpole.html
and   http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/app.htm.

The link at http://www.westmountainradio.com/pdf/QSTrr.pdf showed nothing
useful.

The illustration on page 41 of the rev. A KPA100 manual matches exactly the
illustration at www.ocraces.org... and the illustrations on pages 29 & 38
of the rev. A manual match IF you recognize that you're looking at the
UNDER of the PC board instead of the top... well, at least it's the bottom
SIDE when it's installed INSIDE the K2 and had been turned upside down for
that installation... thus making the actual TOP of the PC board the under
side...

Don't go changing ANYTHING until you've DOUBLE-CHECKED yourself again.

73,

Tom Hammond    N0SS

Re: KPA100 DC connector WARNING ALERT

Steve and all,

I don't usually disagree with you Steve, but I looked at my APP cables that
DO work FB with my KPA100 and they look just like the pictures in all your
references.

Yes, if one looks at the the KPA100 input, it may look like it is reversed,
but it DOES mate properly with the cables that are configured just like the
'standard'.  As an added note -- my Rigrunner connectors look like they are
reversed too - but they have to be that way to mate with the cables pictured
in the references.  The pictures show the cable and not the mating connector
in the housing.

A word to the wise is still in order - before connecting ANY equipment to
someone else's cables, be certain the polarity is correct!!!  Especially on
Field Day, but on every other day as well.

Life is what happens when you are making other plans

> At Field Day, if you will be using your K2 with the
> KPA100 ... note that the radio's high-current DC port
> is 180 degrees reversed from the national ARES
> standard:
>
> http://www.ocraces.org/powerpole.html
> http://www.westmountainradio.com/pdf/QSTrr.pdf
> http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/app.htm
>

> If other Field Day attendees attempt to connect you
> rig to a standard-configured PowerPole fitting, they
> will be connecting with reverse polarity, and this
> will blow the fuse.
>
> Hopefully there IS a fuse ...
>
> Otherwise, quite a lot of smoke will come out of many
> places.
>
> Now that I realize the problem, I will be re-doing my
> KPA100 connector with a wire pigtail instead of the PC
> mount, to make the rear panel fitting the correct
> polarity.  The rear panel is also silk-screened
> backwards ( + and - ) from the standard but I will
> make a label of some sort to cover that up.
>
> Good luck and be careful out there.  Don't let others
> use your K2/KPA100 rig unless they also use YOUR power
> wire.  If they try to hook it up to an ARES standard
> club power block, uh-oh.

KPA100 DC connectors do match the standard

wayne burdick
We were very careful to ensure that the KPA100's APP connectors matched
the emerging standard orientation. I believe it is correct, but I'll
review it again just to be certain. (We've been selling the KPA100 for
quite a while now with noone raising this issue, which is a good sign!)

Thanks,
Wayne
N6KR

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: KPA100 DC connectors do match the standard

Jim Brown-10
It is correct on my KPA100.

Jim K9YC

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:26:13 -0700, wayne burdick wrote:

>We were very careful to ensure that the KPA100's APP connectors matched
>the emerging standard orientation. I believe it is correct, but I'll
>review it again just to be certain.

KX1 Power up issue

John [N5BSD]
Ok, this is odd

I have not finished my alignment and testing for the KX1 and KX1AT,
Need a better tool than the metal micro-screwdriver I have, and I need a
Connector to connect to my dummy load

But when I simply power it up
It always goes to 14.381.5

Every time, no matter where it is when it is powered off.

Any Ideas??

------------------------

73
John
N5BSD / NNN0OYH
ARRL NTS ORS NTX Digital
www.n5bsd.com

Re: KPA100 DC connector WARNING ALERT

John Cooper
I use my kpa100 with a rigrunner 4005.  I also put powerpoles on all my
radios batteries solar controllers various kits and everything matches like
its supposed too.

By the way my local ARES group still uses the T connector that comes on
Kenwood radios.

WT5Y
> At Field Day, if you will be using your K2 with the
> KPA100 ... note that the radio's high-current DC port
> is 180 degrees reversed from the national ARES
> standard:
>
> http://www.ocraces.org/powerpole.html
> http://www.westmountainradio.com/pdf/QSTrr.pdf
> http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/app.htm
>

> If other Field Day attendees attempt to connect you
> rig to a standard-configured PowerPole fitting, they
> will be connecting with reverse polarity, and this
> will blow the fuse.
>
> Hopefully there IS a fuse ...
>
> Otherwise, quite a lot of smoke will come out of many
> places.
>
> Now that I realize the problem, I will be re-doing my
> KPA100 connector with a wire pigtail instead of the PC
> mount, to make the rear panel fitting the correct
> polarity.  The rear panel is also silk-screened
> backwards ( + and - ) from the standard but I will
> make a label of some sort to cover that up.
>
> Good luck and be careful out there.  Don't let others
> use your K2/KPA100 rig unless they also use YOUR power
> wire.  If they try to hook it up to an ARES standard
> club power block, uh-oh.
>
> 73 Steve KZ1X/4

http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm

RE: KPA100 DC connectors do match the standard

Gregg Lengling
I'm sure it's the standard as I would think EF Johnson Radios got it right
and most of their LMR radios use the connector and it's wired identical.  I
know because I wanted an extra harness for each of my cars for the K2 and
just took 2 power cable kits from Johnson off the shelf and let her rip...

Gregg R. Lengling, W9DHI, Retired
Administrator http://www.milwaukeehdtv.org
K2/100 S#3075 KX1 S# 57
Member:  ARRL, RSGB, RCA, WERA and ORC

RE: KPA100 DC connector WARNING ALERT

srife
        I think it is all in how you look at it. RED is always on the right,
as viewed from the top & back of the red and black shells. RED is also on
the right coming out of the K2, if you look at it from the top & back of the
connector shells, or as viewed from top & front of the radio. It should also
be this way on every connection you make. I think the confusion stems from
the fact that you have to flip one set of connectors (red/black) 180 degrees
to have it plug in to another set. Did I make any sense here? Hi Hi.

Stan Rife
WD5EWA
Houston, TX
K2 S/N 4216

I don't usually disagree with you Steve, but I looked at my APP cables that
DO work FB with my KPA100 and they look just like the pictures in all your
references.

Yes, if one looks at the the KPA100 input, it may look like it is reversed,
but it DOES mate properly with the cables that are configured just like the
'standard'.  As an added note -- my Rigrunner connectors look like they are
reversed too - but they have to be that way to mate with the cables pictured
in the references.  The pictures show the cable and not the mating connector
in the housing.

A word to the wise is still in order - before connecting ANY equipment to
someone else's cables, be certain the polarity is correct!!!  Especially on
Field Day, but on every other day as well.

Life is what happens when you are making other plans

> At Field Day, if you will be using your K2 with the
> KPA100 ... note that the radio's high-current DC port
> is 180 degrees reversed from the national ARES
> standard:
>
> http://www.ocraces.org/powerpole.html
> http://www.westmountainradio.com/pdf/QSTrr.pdf
> http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/app.htm
>

> If other Field Day attendees attempt to connect you
> rig to a standard-configured PowerPole fitting, they
> will be connecting with reverse polarity, and this
> will blow the fuse.
>
> Hopefully there IS a fuse ...
>
> Otherwise, quite a lot of smoke will come out of many
> places.
>
> Now that I realize the problem, I will be re-doing my
> KPA100 connector with a wire pigtail instead of the PC
> mount, to make the rear panel fitting the correct
> polarity.  The rear panel is also silk-screened
> backwards ( + and - ) from the standard but I will
> make a label of some sort to cover that up.
>
> Good luck and be careful out there.  Don't let others
> use your K2/KPA100 rig unless they also use YOUR power
> wire.  If they try to hook it up to an ARES standard
> club power block, uh-oh.

KPA100 DC connectors do match the standard

Steve Jackson-5
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

It IS the standard, if you assemble it as drawn (no
matter how confusing the drawing is).

It ISN'T the standard, if you assemble it backwards on
purpose so as to NOT be able to use your other
PowerPole cables that are lying around because they
DON'T have in-line fuses ... and then forget to remind
yourself that you did that, on purpose ... and even
worse, forget to mention that it might be a good idea
to do that after all.

Is this what getting older is like?  It's my first
time, you know.