KPA500 #431 & no fan running

Oliver Dröse
Hi guys,

just to report that I finished building my KPA500 this afternoon. Everything
seems to be well except that the fan is not working, neither in NOR menu
setting nor if I set the speed manually to any value between 1 and 6.

Anyone any idea on that? Double-checked all the cabling again, all ribbon
cables are tight and correctly mounted (checked that first as I remembered
someboy with the same problem and that being the cause).

Thanks in advance! Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA

Re: KPA500 #431 & no fan running

Oliver Dröse
Thanks Bob!

The LM 317 is okay, it's putting out 53,2 V and the insulation is intact.
Any other idea?

Thanks, Olli - DH8BQA

Check the voltage on the LM317 voltage regulator's tab. If you forgot the
insulators it will be 0 Volts. And it will be very hot! It should be >50V.

73 de Bob, K6XX

-----
eMail ist virenfrei.
Von AVG überprüft - www.avg.de
Version: 10.0.1410 / Virendatenbank: 1520/3935 - Ausgabedatum: 03.10.2011

Re: KPA500 #431 & no fan running

Oliver Dröse
Hi guys,

just for the records: Problem solved. Two issues: The fan connector was
faulty (bad crimp connection) and besides this the 2 fan control wires were
reversed during production. If you run into that problem make sure the black
wire is in the middle of the connector, not the red one (that one must go
either left or right). Obviosuly some minor production problem (another
customer ran into the same trouble, too).

So thanks to the really excellent Elecraft support (Bob and Dale in this
case) KPA500 #431 is now completely operational and I am just another happy
customer again. Now eagerly waiting for the KX3 ... ;-))

Vy 73, Olli - DH8BQA
K3 #4546, KPA500 #431