KPA500 AUX Cable Keying

N5GE

Y' All

According to page 21 of the KPA500 owner's manual, when the Aux Cable is used
with the KPA500 the PTT Cable should not be used.

I have the KPAK3AUX cable connected between the K3 And the KPA500 via the Y
cable that came with the cable kit, so that I can continue using my KR2C2.

The KRC2 is working as was before.

I have set all the power levels for the amp Standby and Operate of the KPA500
and I can see that it is controlling the K3's output power in both Standby and
Operate, and is changing bands when the K3 changes bands, but the KPA500 is not
keying when in Operate on any band.

The Amp was keying and producing output as expected with around 30W drive before
I hooked up the AUX cable.  I'm sure I've failed to make a setting on the amp or
the rig, but I'll be darned if I can find a setting that even vagely sounds like
the one to make.

Can someone shed some light on what I need to do to get the amp to key with the
Aux Cable connected?

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Hi Tom,

Do you have the "Key line interrupter", as described in:

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KPAK3AUX%20Cable%20Set%20Instructions.pdf

installed? If so, you might try removing it....

    ~iain / N6ML

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 4:45 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Y' All
>
> According to page 21 of the KPA500 owner's manual, when the Aux Cable is used
> with the KPA500 the PTT Cable should not be used.
>
> I have the KPAK3AUX cable connected between the K3 And the KPA500 via the Y
> cable that came with the cable kit, so that I can continue using my KR2C2.
>
> The KRC2 is working as was before.
>
> I have set all the power levels for the amp Standby and Operate of the KPA500
> and I can see that it is controlling the K3's output power in both Standby and
> Operate, and is changing bands when the K3 changes bands, but the KPA500 is not
> keying when in Operate on any band.
>
> The Amp was keying and producing output as expected with around 30W drive before
> I hooked up the AUX cable.  I'm sure I've failed to make a setting on the amp or
> the rig, but I'll be darned if I can find a setting that even vagely sounds like
> the one to make.
>
> Can someone shed some light on what I need to do to get the amp to key with the
> Aux Cable connected?
>
> 73,
> Tom
> Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
> ARRL Lifetime Member
> QCWA Lifetime Member

Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying

N5GE

Hello Iain,

No it's not in line, but I sure thought of putting it in line so I could use the
key line between the amp and the rig.

The amp and the rig are communicating with each other just fine, but the amp
won't key.

Thanks for the help.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 05:24:19 +0000, iain macdonnell - N6ML <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Hi Tom,
>
>Do you have the "Key line interrupter", as described in:
>
>http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KPAK3AUX%20Cable%20Set%20Instructions.pdf
>
>installed? If so, you might try removing it....
>
>    ~iain / N6ML
>

>On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 4:45 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Y' All
>>
>> According to page 21 of the KPA500 owner's manual, when the Aux Cable is used
>> with the KPA500 the PTT Cable should not be used.
>>
>> I have the KPAK3AUX cable connected between the K3 And the KPA500 via the Y
>> cable that came with the cable kit, so that I can continue using my KR2C2.
>>
>> The KRC2 is working as was before.
>>
>> I have set all the power levels for the amp Standby and Operate of the KPA500
>> and I can see that it is controlling the K3's output power in both Standby and
>> Operate, and is changing bands when the K3 changes bands, but the KPA500 is not
>> keying when in Operate on any band.
>>
>> The Amp was keying and producing output as expected with around 30W drive before
>> I hooked up the AUX cable.  I'm sure I've failed to make a setting on the amp or
>> the rig, but I'll be darned if I can find a setting that even vagely sounds like
>> the one to make.
>>
>> Can someone shed some light on what I need to do to get the amp to key with the
>> Aux Cable connected?
>>
>> 73,
>> Tom
>> Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
>> ARRL Lifetime Member
>> QCWA Lifetime Member

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying

Jack Brindle
Make sure that DIGOUT1 is turned OFF from the K3. Turning it on disables the KPA. Note that this is a per-band function, so it needs to be turned off for each band you wish to use the KPA500.

Jack Brindle, W6FB

On Jun 28, 2011, at 9:45 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Y' All
>
> According to page 21 of the KPA500 owner's manual, when the Aux Cable is used
> with the KPA500 the PTT Cable should not be used.
>
> I have the KPAK3AUX cable connected between the K3 And the KPA500 via the Y
> cable that came with the cable kit, so that I can continue using my KR2C2.
>
> The KRC2 is working as was before.
>
> I have set all the power levels for the amp Standby and Operate of the KPA500
> and I can see that it is controlling the K3's output power in both Standby and
> Operate, and is changing bands when the K3 changes bands, but the KPA500 is not
> keying when in Operate on any band.
>
> The Amp was keying and producing output as expected with around 30W drive before
> I hooked up the AUX cable.  I'm sure I've failed to make a setting on the amp or
> the rig, but I'll be darned if I can find a setting that even vagely sounds like
> the one to make.
>
> Can someone shed some light on what I need to do to get the amp to key with the
> Aux Cable connected?
>
> 73,
> Tom
> Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
> ARRL Lifetime Member
> QCWA Lifetime Member

Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying

bobgarceau
I assume that I will be able to use the Y cable with my MicroHam K2?

Bob, W1EQ

Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying

N5GE

Update:

This was being caused by the PR6 preamp being installed.  It was inhibiting
keying of the KPA500.

All is well now...

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 23:45:42 -0500, [hidden email] wrote:

>Y' All
>
>According to page 21 of the KPA500 owner's manual, when the Aux Cable is used
>with the KPA500 the PTT Cable should not be used.
>
>I have the KPAK3AUX cable connected between the K3 And the KPA500 via the Y
>cable that came with the cable kit, so that I can continue using my KR2C2.
>
>The KRC2 is working as was before.
>
>I have set all the power levels for the amp Standby and Operate of the KPA500
>and I can see that it is controlling the K3's output power in both Standby and
>Operate, and is changing bands when the K3 changes bands, but the KPA500 is not
>keying when in Operate on any band.
>
>The Amp was keying and producing output as expected with around 30W drive before
>I hooked up the AUX cable.  I'm sure I've failed to make a setting on the amp or
>the rig, but I'll be darned if I can find a setting that even vagely sounds like
>the one to make.
>
>Can someone shed some light on what I need to do to get the amp to key with the
>Aux Cable connected?
>
>73,
>Tom
>Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
>ARRL Lifetime Member
>QCWA Lifetime Member

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying

Phil Salas
The plan for Pin 11 (I understand) is to eventually inhibit the KPA500 when pressing TUNE on the K3 so that you can tune a manal or auto-tuner at low power without having to remember to manually put the KPA500 in standby first.  My understanding is that this will be in a future K3 firmware release as a set-up option.

Phil - AD5X

Re: KPA500 AUX Cable Keying

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Jack Brindle wrote
Make sure that DIGOUT1 is turned OFF from the K3. Turning it on disables the KPA. Note that this is a per-band function, so it needs to be turned off for each band you wish to use the KPA500.

Jack Brindle, W6FB
Just for completeness, it's per-band x per-ANT1/ANT2.

Leigh/WA5ZNU