KPA500 Assembly Question

Dave Anderson, K4SV
Hi All,

Thought I would bounce this question off those who have assembled the KPA500.

I am building Serial #439

I am at page 22 where it says to install 5 - 5/16" Black Flat Head screws in the plate attached to the PA.  I can not find any 5/16" screws in the hardware bag.  I found two in the spares bag and two installed in the AC fuse block.  Checked everything else.  Stephanie either missed it totally or the manual is incorrect.  Up to this point she has been spot on.

Could this be an error where they really meant to use 3/16"?  I tried 3/16" and they have 4 to 5 threads into the heatsink.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Anderson, K4SV
Tryon, NC
 828 777-5088

www.K4SV.com

Re: KPA500 Assembly Question

Gary Hinson
Hi Dave.

I can't say for sure but the original screws for the plate were a fraction
too long, causing "pops" when the PA heated up due to thermal expansion.
Some of us simply filed a fraction off the original screws to seat the plate
more tightly, and that solved out problem.    In other words, slightly short
screws are better.

4-to-5 threads sounds to me like it ought to work OK, so I'd settle for that
... but like you I'd be a bit concerned about the inventory of parts, just
in case those screws are destined to be used elsewhere.  Are you sure there
are no other screws in a little additional envelope somewhere?

73
Gary  ZL2iFB   (*very* happy owner and daily user of a KPA500 - love the QRQ
QSK and no-tune QSYs)

Bob Wolbert-2
Dave,

Your amp kit was shipped quite a while ago... At that time, Elecraft was
in the process of converting from 4-40 x 5/16" black flathead machine
screws to 1/4" for attaching the Z-bracket and left side panel to the
heat sink.

If you don't have enough 5/16", you should have extra 1/4". Perhaps in
the "Hardware Spares" bag. If not, please reply to me and I'll have them
shipped to you.

Regards,

Bob Wolbert