KPA500 Cables -- Needed for K3 ??

Phil Hystad-3
I have not yet bought my KPA500 but I am confused by all this talk about cables and I admit to not paying too much attention.  But, for a regular K-Line configuration of K3+P3+KPA500 and a future KAT500 do I need to purchase or make any cables or is everything supplied in the boxes I would receive from Elecraft?

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KPA500 Cables -- Needed for K3 ??

Richard Griest
Phil,

Depending on what other options you have (I.E. PR-6 6 Meter Pre-Amp) it is recommended to buy the
the KPAK3AUX.  This is a Cable Set that contains the Aux Cable, Y- Cable and Key Line Interrupter.
The important ones for "K3 Stations" would be the Aux Cable and the Y-Cable.  On Elecraft's WEB Site,
under the Order Page, they have this Set Listed along with a .PDF File that shows what is inside the package
and the recommended "Hook Ups".

If you use the PR-6 6 Meter Pre-Amp there is a slight problem.  Won't go into details but the important thing to
remember is that Elecraft is coming out with a new firmware version 1.09 that will take care of a few issues along
with the incompatibility of the PR6 and the Aux Cable Operation.

Go ahead and get the KPA500....  It is a GREAT Amp!

Regards,
Richard Griest - WB4VMH

On Aug 10, 2011, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have not yet bought my KPA500 but I am confused by all this talk about cables and I admit to not paying too much attention.  But, for a regular K-Line configuration of K3+P3+KPA500 and a future KAT500 do I need to purchase or make any cables or is everything supplied in the boxes I would receive from Elecraft?

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KPA500 Cables -- Needed for K3 ??

Dick Dievendorff
For a regular K-line K3 + P3 + KPA500 you can operate without two cables,
and the KPA500' will change bands almost immediately when a transmitted
signal is detected. I started with this configuration.

You'll need a key line cable that has an RCA phono connector on each end
(think "half of a stereo audio cable").
You'll need a short RF cable for antenna out from the K3.

Better integration with the K3 is available when you connect the K3 and
KPA500 with a 15-pin ACC cable.  Then the KPA500's band buttons will band
switch the K3, the amplifier band switches when you change bands on the K3
(without requiring a transmission) and the K3 can adjust to one of two power
levels, one for the KPA500 in operate (requiring around 25-35 watts of drive
from the K3) and another power level when the KPA500 is off or in standby
(perhaps 100 watts).  You don't have to keep fiddling with the K3 power
level if you use this option.

The 15-pin cable incorporates the key line so the RCA key line cable is not
needed.

The KPAK3AUX cable set consists of a 15-pin cable with some pins removed, a
Y adapter, and a small "key line interrupter".

The Y adapter is useful if you have other customers for your K3's back panel
ACC connector, which is used for a lot of things like PR-6 preamplifier,
antenna switches, KRC2, FSK keying lines and the like.

The key line interrupter looks like a 9-pin "gender changer". It feeds thru
all pins except the key line and is used when you use a device (like the W2
watt meter or several other SWR bridge/wattmeters) to inhibit amplifier
keying when the SWR exceeds a threshold.  In that configuration, you connect
an RCA connection from the transceiver to the watt meter, and an RCA cable
from the watt meter to the amplifier, and you need the key line connection
inside the 15-pin ACC cable to be "interrupted".

See this document for pictures and instructions:
http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KPAK3AUX%20Cable%20Set%20Instructions.pdf

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: KPA500 Cables -- Needed for K3 ??

Richard Griest
Dick,

My earlier response basically stated the same.  I presently am using the KPA with the K3 with just the Key Line Cable.  I use the Amp just like I would use any other Amp with a Transceiver.  I manually Turn On the Amp, Manually switch between STBY /OPER and finally select the band that I want to work on.  Even though the circuit sense what band you are on when there is an initial Transmission from the Transmitter.  FYI.... It sounds like you were saying that Phil will have to purchase or make this Key Line Cable.  Just to clear this up...... this cable comes with the KPA500.  At least it did in mine that was received last week.

Regards,
Richard Griest - WB4VMH

On Aug 10, 2011, Dick Dievendorff <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks guys for all the answers.  Confusion lifted and thrown out with the trash.  Now, down to Starbucks and get a double-cup grande bold.

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KPA500 Cables -- Needed for K3 ??

Dick Dievendorff
Richard, WB4VMH, gently informed me that the PA keying cable, the RCA key
line cable between K3 and KPA500, is supplied with the amplifier.  I
apologize! No other amplifier I've purchased came with this cable, and the
amp I have (S/N 0005) came to me without that cable early in the development
program, and I failed to check the Assembly Manual's parts list.

So the minimum you need is an RF jumper cable between K3 and amplifier, and
that can be a smallish coaxial cable.

And the KPAK3AUX cable set is still a very useful accessory.

73 de Dick, K6KR