[KPA500] Leftover parts?

Randy Moore
I've been meaning to ask about this since I finished KPA500 #370 a couple of weeks ago. In one of the kit's plastic bags there were 2 large washers, about 1.5" in diameter with about a 7/16" hole, and a large, maybe 7/16" nut. The amp is operating happily without them. What are they for?

73,
Randy, KS4L

Re: [KPA500] Leftover parts?

w0mu
Sounds like the washer and bolt for the big torroid.

On 9/14/2011 12:16 PM, Randy Moore wrote:

> I've been meaning to ask about this since I finished KPA500 #370 a couple of weeks ago. In one of the kit's plastic bags there were 2 large washers, about 1.5" in diameter with about a 7/16" hole, and a large, maybe 7/16" nut. The amp is operating happily without them. What are they for?
>
> 73,
> Randy, KS4L

J6/W0MU November 21 - December 1 2011 CQ WW DX CW

Re: [KPA500] Leftover parts?

k6rb
Thanks for asking the question. I just finished building #380 and
discovered the same thing. I looked at the transformer instructions,
several times, I checked the inventory list (they were not on there), and
it looked like the transformer did not require the two washers or the nut
- just the bolt, the special washer and the special nut. So, I was
wondering about that, too.

Rob K6RB

> I've been meaning to ask about this since I finished KPA500 #370 a couple
> of weeks ago. In one of the kit's plastic bags there were 2 large washers,
> about 1.5" in diameter with about a 7/16" hole, and a large, maybe 7/16"
> nut. The amp is operating happily without them. What are they for?
>
> 73,
> Randy, KS4L

Re: [KPA500] Leftover parts?

Randy Moore
I don't think so. Those parts were included in the box with the torroid.

73,
Randy, KS4L

On Sep 14, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Mike Fatchett W0MU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds like the washer and bolt for the big torroid.

[KPA500] Leftover parts?

Johnny Siu
Hello Randy,

Your observation is correct and I also have spare parts.  Similar to you, I did read the manual and examine the colour photos of KPA500 but I have no idea about these spare parts.  Anyway, the KPA500 is now 100% functional.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

從︰ Randy Moore <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ Mike Fatchett W0MU <[hidden email]>
副本(CC)︰ "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
傳送日期︰ 2011年09月15日 (週四) 2:59 AM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] [KPA500] Leftover parts?

I don't think so. Those parts were included in the box with the torroid.

73,
Randy, KS4L

On Sep 14, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Mike Fatchett W0MU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds like the washer and bolt for the big torroid.

Re: [KPA500] Leftover parts?

Stan Gibbs, KR7C
According to Elecraft, these parts are a very recent addition to the kit and their purpose is to add support to the transformer bolt.  In building #401, I also discovered these additional parts and sent an email to Elecraft support.  They sent me a modified page 32 of the assembly manual that shows the placement of the two flat washers, lock washer and nut at the bottom of the bolt, flush with the inside bottom rubber disk.  I am including an image below; hopefully it will show properly.

73, Stan - KR7C

Re: [KPA500] Leftover parts?

Randy Moore
Thanks, Stan. Guess I'll pull the transformer out and put that stuff on the bolt.

Tnx es 73,
Randy, KS4L

On Sep 14, 2011, at 7:51 PM, Stan Gibbs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> According to Elecraft, these parts are a very recent addition to the kit and
> their purpose is to add support to the transformer bolt.  In building #401,
> I also discovered these additional parts and sent an email to Elecraft
> support.  They sent me a modified page 32 of the assembly manual that shows
> the placement of the two flat washers, lock washer and nut at the bottom of
> the bolt, flush with the inside bottom rubber disk.  I am including an image
> below; hopefully it will show properly.
>
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/file/n6795115/%24RLNYG9V.png
>
> -----
> 73, Stan - KR7C

[KPA500] Leftover parts?

Johnny Siu
Hello Stan,

Thanks for information.  Elecraft should include this information in my kit package and update their manual accordingly.  My KPA500 kit was just 3 weeks old but without such information.

Anyway, it seems I need to dismantle my KPA500 and install these 'spare, leftover hardware'

A real pain of the neck introduced and caused by Elecraft but I love it :)

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

從︰ Stan Gibbs <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2011年09月15日 (週四) 8:51 AM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] [KPA500] Leftover parts?

According to Elecraft, these parts are a very recent addition to the kit and
their purpose is to add support to the transformer bolt.  In building #401,
I also discovered these additional parts and sent an email to Elecraft
support.  They sent me a modified page 32 of the assembly manual that shows
the placement of the two flat washers, lock washer and nut at the bottom of
the bolt, flush with the inside bottom rubber disk.  I am including an image
below; hopefully it will show properly.

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/file/n6795115/%24RLNYG9V.png

-----
73, Stan - KR7C

Re: [KPA500] Leftover parts?

k6rb
If the KPA-500 is not being carried around, but is sitting on a desk, then
I don't think you have to worry about the hardware until you have a reason
to get inside and install it (e.g. you're planning to take it on a trip or
something). And, I agree with Johnny, it should have been updated in our
assembly manuals when we received our kits. Doing it after fact means
disassembling some panels, unplugging a bunch of wires, removing the
transformer, etc. It is a PIA.

Rob K6RB

> Hello Stan,
>
> Thanks for information.  Elecraft should include this information in my
> kit package and update their manual accordingly.  My KPA500 kit was
> just 3 weeks old but without such information.
>
> Anyway, it seems I need to dismantle my KPA500 and install these 'spare,
> leftover hardware'
>
> A real pain of the neck introduced and caused by Elecraft but I love it
> :)
>
> TNX & 73,
>

> Johnny VR2XMC
>
> 從︰ Stan Gibbs <[hidden email]>
> 收件人︰ [hidden email]
> 傳送日期︰ 2011年09月15日 (週四) 8:51 AM
> 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] [KPA500] Leftover parts?
>
> According to Elecraft, these parts are a very recent addition to the kit
> and
> their purpose is to add support to the transformer bolt.  In building
> #401,
> I also discovered these additional parts and sent an email to Elecraft
> support.  They sent me a modified page 32 of the assembly manual that
> shows
> the placement of the two flat washers, lock washer and nut at the bottom
> of
> the bolt, flush with the inside bottom rubber disk.  I am including an
> image
> below; hopefully it will show properly.
>
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/file/n6795115/%24RLNYG9V.png
>
> -----
> 73, Stan - KR7C

Re: [KPA500] Leftover parts?

David Christ
I too got the extra parts.  But if I recall
correctly, the bolt was not threaded all the way
down.  Some day I may take the trouble to look,
but it is not worth the trouble to open the box
at this time.

David

>  >
>>  According to Elecraft, these parts are a very recent addition to the kit
>>  and
>>  their purpose is to add support to the transformer bolt.  In building
>>  #401,
>>  I also discovered these additional parts and sent an email to Elecraft
>>  support.  They sent me a modified page 32 of the assembly manual that
>>  shows
>>  the placement of the two flat washers, lock washer and nut at the bottom
>>  of
>>  the bolt, flush with the inside bottom rubber disk.  I am including an
>>  image
>>  below; hopefully it will show properly.
>>
>>  http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/file/n6795115/%24RLNYG9V.png
>>
>>  -----
>>  73, Stan - KR7C
>  > --

Re: [KPA500] Leftover parts?

PTA_ABD
Same deal here a few weeks ago.  K6RB is exactly correct. The purpose of the washers and nut is to provide extra support so that the bottom panel wouldn't suffer any warpage during rough handling. ( There's a plate underneath anyway)  I can assure all that it works fine without them. I have no intention of tearing it apart because it will be sitting on my desk. Not sure what anyone else does with amplifiers in terms of physically handling them.

Surprised that they're still being shipped w/o an included addendum to the assembly manual. Revision wasn't on the website last time I looked either. But a query to Support brought an immediate answer.  I love the Support crew at Elecraft.... can't say enough about them.

Paul WB2ABD

Re: [KPA500] Leftover parts?

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
We are now shipping with the new manual and will make sure it gets on
the website ASAP.

73, Eric

---
www.elecraft.com