KPA500 Multiple Antenna Option

RLVZ
I'd love to see the KPA500 companion Antenna Tuner have a minimum  of 5
antenna outputs which can be controlled automatically via  the K3.  This is the
only way I'd purchase a KPA500 as otherwise I'll  keep my Quadra which does
automatic bandswitching nicely with the  K3.

73,
Dick- K9OM

In a message dated 7/10/2011 10:53:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

I am not  familiar with the various outboard devices to which you refer (as
have  never needed them).  I am not suggesting that the KPA500 needs
additional antenna outputs though that is one way to do it.  That  would
constritute an internal antenna switch.  The KPA500 represents  many
upgrades
from my 1980's amplifier so I am surprised that my 80's amp  has a
capability
that the KPA500 doesn't.

The band data information  from the K3 goes to the KPA500 to tell it what
band it is to be on.   Are you saying this can be paralleled safely and
also
instruct another  device?  I would think such might not be compatible and a
risky thing  to do.

In my set up (with an old Yaesu FL-7000) the band data  information from
the
K3 goes to the FL7000 to tell it which band to be  on.   The FL7000 then
associates one of four antenna positions  with a band, this is changeable
at
any time and then remembered, and  outputs relay control to a remote
antenna
switch.  If the remote  switch is not in use, the "antenna" which is
associated by band is  irrelevant.  I am surprised that the KPA500 does not
have this  capability standard and built in with the outboard remote
antenna
relay  being an option.  Without this, band changing is not, in fact,
automatic.

] KPA500 Multiple Antenna Option

Johnny Siu
Hello Dick,

I think it is very common that many of us have more than one radio and one antenna.  Multiple antenna output and input sockets are just a logical customer's wish.

I hope the forthcoming KAT500 will address this issue.  Otherwise, I am afraid I have to go for the others such as SPE

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

從︰ "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2011年07月11日 (週一) 12:55 PM
主題︰ [Elecraft] KPA500 Multiple Antenna Option

[hidden email] writes:

[...]

Re: ] KPA500 Multiple Antenna Option

Gary Gregory
Sorry to say this but when is enough, enough?....the KPA-500 will come in
both desktop and remote versions, it will have balanced AND unbalanced
antenna connections...I now wonder when someone will ask for 10 of each?

To simply keep adding numerical options drive the price up for all
customers. I certainly don't require more than 4 antennas but I appreciate
some folks have 10 or more to play with and several radio to boot.

But they are NOT the vast majority of Elecraft customers I would guess.

I think a search of the archives may reveal that the KAT-500 will have 3
antenna connections and one is for single wire or open wire feedline. I am
going from memory and we all know how dangerous that can be...:-)

One other comment I would make is that IF I had a Quadra I cannot think why
I would buy a KPA-500....unles it does not do 6M maybe?...not sure what
Yucksu provide...:-)

73's
Gary

On 11 July 2011 15:58, Johnny Siu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Dick,
>
> I think it is very common that many of us have more than one radio and one
> antenna.  Multiple antenna output and input sockets are just a logical
> customer's wish.
>
> I hope the forthcoming KAT500 will address this issue.  Otherwise, I am
> afraid I have to go for the others such as SPE
>
> TNX & 73,
>

> Johnny VR2XMC
>
> 從︰ "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> 收件人︰ [hidden email]
> 傳送日期︰ 2011年07月11日 (週一) 12:55 PM
> 主題︰ [Elecraft] KPA500 Multiple Antenna Option
>
> I'd love to see the KPA500 companion Antenna Tuner have a minimum  of 5
> antenna outputs which can be controlled automatically via  the K3.  This is
> the
> only way I'd purchase a KPA500 as otherwise I'll  keep my Quadra which does
> automatic bandswitching nicely with the  K3.
>
> 73,
> Dick- K9OM
>

> In a message dated 7/10/2011 10:53:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>
> I am not  familiar with the various outboard devices to which you refer (as
> have  never needed them).  I am not suggesting that the KPA500 needs
> additional antenna outputs though that is one way to do it.  That  would
> constritute an internal antenna switch.  The KPA500 represents  many
> upgrades
> from my 1980's amplifier so I am surprised that my 80's amp  has a
> capability
> that the KPA500 doesn't.
>
> The band data information  from the K3 goes to the KPA500 to tell it what
> band it is to be on.   Are you saying this can be paralleled safely and
> also
> instruct another  device?  I would think such might not be compatible and a
> risky thing  to do.
>
> In my set up (with an old Yaesu FL-7000) the band data  information from
> the
> K3 goes to the FL7000 to tell it which band to be  on.   The FL7000 then
> associates one of four antenna positions  with a band, this is changeable
> at
> any time and then remembered, and  outputs relay control to a remote
> antenna
> switch.  If the remote  switch is not in use, the "antenna" which is
> associated by band is  irrelevant.  I am surprised that the KPA500 does not
> have this  capability standard and built in with the outboard remote
> antenna
> relay  being an option.  Without this, band changing is not, in fact,
> automatic.

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

KPA500 Multiple Antenna Option

Johnny Siu
Hello Gary,

Yes, all I needed are just 2 RF inputs + 3-4 RF outputs in a linear amplifier.  I trust it is just a common design in most of the reputable amplfiers.  Since the design of KPA500 + KAT500 is not in one box, I suppose the forthcoming KAT500 will cover this issue.

The design of KAT500 should not only couple with KPA500 but also other radios / amplifiers in a smooth manner.  It is just a business sense to do so.  Elecraft will just be more happy if other non K3 radio owners also buy the KPA500 and KAT500.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

從︰ Gary Gregory <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ Johnny Siu <[hidden email]>
副本(CC)︰ "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
傳送日期︰ 2011年07月11日 (週一) 3:16 PM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] ] KPA500 Multiple Antenna Option

> [...]

>also
>instruct another  device?  I would think such might not be compatible and a
>risky thing  to do.
>
>In my set up (with an old Yaesu FL-7000) the band data  information from
>the
>K3 goes to the FL7000 to tell it which band to be  on.   The FL7000 then
>associates one of four antenna positions  with a band, this is changeable
>at
>any time and then remembered, and  outputs relay control to a remote
>antenna
>switch.  If the remote  switch is not in use, the "antenna" which is
>associated by band is  irrelevant.  I am surprised that the KPA500 does not
>have this  capability standard and built in with the outboard remote
>antenna
>relay  being an option.  Without this, band changing is not, in fact,

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: ] KPA500 Multiple Antenna Option

Kjeld Holm
OK Gary I see your point - but I do want KAT500 to be top notch. A decent
solution could be a few antennas inputs and outputs in the basic model and
then an add-in module with more options as I believe it to be the hardware
making more antennas expensive - I believe that the switching circuitry
being at almost the same price level for 4 or 16 antenna ports.

Vy 73 de
OZ1CCM Kel

--

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment

Re: KPA500 Multiple Antenna Option

Jim Brown-10
On 7/10/2011 9:55 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'd love to see the KPA500 companion Antenna Tuner have a minimum  of 5
> antenna outputs which can be controlled automatically via  the K3.

Antenna switching by an antenna tuner is a wonderful thing if the signal
flow also allows bypassing of the tuner for any given output.  This is
how the Ten Tec 229 and 238 tuners are designed, and is one of their
most important design features (in addition to the fact that they are
excellent electrically and pretty good mechanically).  That said, five
outputs and the switching for them could be tough to fit into a small
package.  An important benefit of doing so would be memorized settings
per antenna per band.

73, Jim K9YC