[KPA500] No power out in "OPER" mode

K2GN
Today, I was on 15M CW in a pile-up calling, when I looked at the meters I
had no output.

AMP was in "OPER". Put AMP in "STBY" and I had output, but at the drive
level, naturally.

I did NOT see any faults or hear a beep. I check all Menu items and found
them right on the factory settings.

I read a few reflector messages via Nabble that described the same symptoms
but there wasn't any solutions offered or follow up fixes.

There was something about low voltage, so I checked my 2nd KPA500.  Running
just fine. Switch power sources on the AMPs and the problem stayed with the
1st AMP.

I'm stumped but it doesn't take much to do that.

I'll call Elecraft tomorrow but in the meantime, any suggestions?

Larry/K2GN

Larry/K2GN - http://k2gn.com <http://k2gn.com/>

Re: [KPA500] No power out in "OPER" mode

k2zf50
Hi Larry,

My KPA500 exhibits the same problem at times, don't know why. I turn off the amp and then back on and then it will operate in "OPER" mode. I guess it is a common problem.
Jim  K2ZF

Re: [KPA500] No power out in "OPER" mode

KENT TRIMBLE
Guessing is always just guessing.

At least one KPA500 has operated flawlessly and nightly since its
purchase as a kit more than a year ago.  Most recently it performed
perfectly for 48 continuous hours at Titanic Special Event Station WØS
in Branson, Missouri.  On my desk or in the field, it has /never /failed
to function as designed.

On a different but related subject . . .

I would strongly encourage those not physically handicapped to purchase
their Elecraft equipment in kit-form.  Frankly, I trust my own skills a
lot more than I trust a cadre of strangers hired for that particular
purpose, no matter how proficient they might be.  For significant
dollars spent, I want the knowledge and experience acquired in putting
that kit together to end up in MY brain, not the brain of someone else.

Elecraft has several low-cost, useful, high-performance kits available,
both soldered and non-soldered, to help anyone gain self-confidence.
The Heath Company inspired and educated a whole generation of today's
finest electronic minds.  What a shame to have those same opportunities
available and not take advantage of them, even if it's only a hobby for us.

Instant gratification comes with a price, and I fear the next "greatest
generation" is growing up outside our borders.

My opinion only . . .

73,

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV
Jefferson City, MO

On 4/17/2012 7:37 AM, someone wrote:
> My KPA500 exhibits the same problem at times, don't know why. I turn off the amp and then back on and then it will operate in "OPER" mode./I guess it is a common problem/.

Re: [KPA500] No power out in "OPER" mode

Jack Brindle-2
This is not a common problem. Reports are few and far between. But, if
and when you do see a problem of this sort, please send a very
detailed report so that we can try to figure out what is going on and
correct it if we are able. It might be something in the amplifier,
something in your environment or some combination. So when it happens,
please let us know, along with all the details. We really do want all
our products to be as perfect as possible.

Jack Brindle, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering