[KPA500] Peculiar behavior : no power output on Operate

[KPA500] Peculiar behavior : no power output on Operate

iw0hqe
Hi, this is IW0HQE, Alessandro, from Italy, a very happy owner of the superb K-line.

I would like to report what I consider a minor issue/behavior of my KPA500 power amplifier.

The amplifier is working flawlessly, and I am definately very satisfied with it. Only a very peculiar event happened a couple of times during the last week : when I turned on the amplifier and put it on Oper mode, when I begun my transmission the PTT triggered correctly (the * symbol appeared as well in the leftmost part of the display) but there was no power output at all. This was solved by simpli turning the amp OFF and then back online. I will now describe the event with further details :

1) I have owned the amplifier since 18/09/2012 (one month) and the event happened only two times during the last week.

2) The first time the event happened was right after my last K3 and P3 firmware upgrades. After upgrading both the devices, I then turned on the KPA500 to work a DX station and there was no power output; turning OFF and then back ON the amp solved it.

3) The second time the event happened was a couple of days later : I was listening to some DX stations and pileups for fun, then I needed the amplifier to make a few calls, I turned ON the rear panel switch, put the amp on OPER and then begun transmitting, but still no power output. Turning the amp OFF and then ON solved it.

4) Both times the event happened, the rear panel switch was turned ON from the OFF position.

5) Power drive 20 watts. CW mode.

6) Temperature reading at the moment of the event : 22-23 °C.

7) SWR of my antenna on the band (15 meters the first time and 10 meters the second time) 1,3:1 or better.

8) HV : 74,3

9) Both the events happened after installation of Firmware Revision 04.51 and DSP 2.76.

10) I tried to turn off the amplifier after the second event without switching the real panel button in the OFF position, and the event never happened again. I cannot figure out if this is just a coincidence, but maybe it could be of some use to report it.

I have seen this event, or some that have a strong resemblance have already been reported :

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KPA-500-no-RF-until-power-cycle-td7017734.html
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KPA500-No-power-out-in-quot-OPER-quot-mode-td7472228.html

I have reported mine also, as suggested by W6FB, Jack Brindle, so that Elecraft could add this to the feedbacks already received, evaluate and (I hope) find out and solve this minor issue.

Thank you for your attention. My very best regards.

IW0HQE - Alessandro Merolli

Re: [KPA500] Peculiar behavior : no power output on Operate

Roger Dallimore-2
Hello Alessandro,

This has happened with my amp from new, Elecraft support (Jack Brindle)
have been working with myself and one or two others with this problem
for a solution. I'm sure he will soon be in touch after you have
contacted him.

You might find that when changing bands, this corrects this problem also.

73
Roger MW0IDX  KPA500 #268

On 22/10/2012 14:14, iw0hqe wrote:

> Hi, this is IW0HQE, Alessandro, from Italy, a very happy owner of the superb
> K-line.
>
> I would like to report what I consider a minor issue/behavior of my KPA500
> power amplifier.
>
> The amplifier is working flawlessly, and I am definately very satisfied with
> it. Only a very peculiar event happened a couple of times during the last
> week : when I turned on the amplifier and put it on Oper mode, when I begun
> my transmission the PTT triggered correctly (the * symbol appeared as well
> in the leftmost part of the display) but there was no power output at all.
> This was solved by simpli turning the amp OFF and then back online. I will
> now describe the event with further details :
>
> 1) I have owned the amplifier since 18/09/2012 (one month) and the event
> happened only two times during the last week.
>
> 2) The first time the event happened was right after my last K3 and P3
> firmware upgrades. After upgrading both the devices, I then turned on the
> KPA500 to work a DX station and there was no power output; turning OFF and
> then back ON the amp solved it.
>
> 3) The second time the event happened was a couple of days later : I was
> listening to some DX stations and pileups for fun, then I needed the
> amplifier to make a few calls, I turned ON the rear panel switch, put the
> amp on OPER and then begun transmitting, but still no power output. Turning
> the amp OFF and then ON solved it.
>
> 4) Both times the event happened, the rear panel switch was turned ON from
> the OFF position.
>
> 5) Power drive 20 watts. CW mode.
>
> 6) Temperature reading at the moment of the event : 22-23 °C.
>
> 7) SWR of my antenna on the band (15 meters the first time and 10 meters the
> second time) 1,3:1 or better.
>
> 8) HV : 74,3
>
> 9) Both the events happened after installation of Firmware Revision 04.51
> and DSP 2.76.
>
> 10) I tried to turn off the amplifier after the second event without
> switching the real panel button in the OFF position, and the event never
> happened again. I cannot figure out if this is just a coincidence, but maybe
> it could be of some use to report it.
>
> I have seen this event, or some that have a strong resemblance have already
> been reported :
>
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KPA-500-no-RF-until-power-cycle-td7017734.html
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KPA500-No-power-out-in-quot-OPER-quot-mode-td7472228.html
>
> I have reported mine also, as suggested by W6FB, Jack Brindle, so that
> Elecraft could add this to the feedbacks already received, evaluate and (I
> hope) find out and solve this minor issue.
>
> Thank you for your attention. My very best regards.
>
> IW0HQE - Alessandro Merolli

Re: [KPA500] Peculiar behavior : no power output on Operate

alsopb
Does the amp show HV=80 V when switched to xmit?
If not reposition the interlock switch and make sure the screw and nuts
of the "plunger" to activiate it are tight and correct.

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: [KPA500] Peculiar behavior : no power output on Operate

Doug Joyce
Hi Alessandro:  I've been using a KPA500 for over a year now with my K3 / P3
equipment and not experienced the problem you described.  In my case, I
leave the rear panel switch "On" anytime I'm in the ham shack and then if I
need to use the KPA500, I turn On the front panel switch - wait about 5 to
10 sec and then flip it to operate and its ready to transmit.  Perhaps,
someone from Elecraft could comment on whether there is a mandatory wait
time between turning On the rear panel switch and turning On the front panel
switch (either in standby or operate) in order to allow the internal
processor time to properly initialize.

73,  Doug  VE3MV

> [...]
>
> 10) I tried to turn off the amplifier after the second event without
> switching the real panel button in the OFF position, and the event never
> happened again. I cannot figure out if this is just a coincidence, but
> maybe
> it could be of some use to report it.
>
> I have seen this event, or some that have a strong resemblance have
> already
> been reported :
>
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KPA-500-no-RF-until-power-cycle-td7017734.html
> http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KPA500-No-power-out-in-quot-OPER-quot-mode-td7472228.html
>
> I have reported mine also, as suggested by W6FB, Jack Brindle, so that
> Elecraft could add this to the feedbacks already received, evaluate and (I
> hope) find out and solve this minor issue.
>
> Thank you for your attention. My very best regards.

New K3 on the air

K9QJS
I just finished my build of K3 #6884 and I am delighted.    It's a 100W model with standard filter and a DVR added.

David at Elecraft support was very helpful.

The build process was so much fun that I want like to build another Elecraft kit.

I am enjoying listening to and using this radio!     I really like the AFX feature both with two speakers and with the headphones.

Still a lot to learn.

73,

Hoop
K9QJS
San Juan Island, WA

Re: New K3 on the air

mzilmer
Kit building is so much fun that there is a legion of paid builders out there.  You'll see them put up advertisements from time to time.

Matt Zilmer
Consultant - Product Management Dept.
Magellan Navigation / MiTAC Digital Corp.
Tel: (909) 394-6052
Cell: (909) 730-6552
In status quo voluntas non sufficit

Re: New K3 on the air

KF9QL

David is THE MAN. He is incredible. Without his help I would have purchased way more stuff than my skill level will support. He told me exactly what I needed, and (more importantly) what I didn't. Really helped me a lot--and then he recommended I sign on the the Reflector and ask for additional input. His advice was spot-on as it turns out, and my kit shipped today...
You certainly won't see any complaints from me about Elecraft's tech support, thus far.
TB

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:59:44 -0700
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] New K3 on the air
>
> I just finished my build of K3 #6884 and I am delighted.    It's a 100W model with standard filter and a DVR added.
>
> David at Elecraft support was very helpful.
>
> The build process was so much fun that I want like to build another Elecraft kit.
>
> I am enjoying listening to and using this radio!     I really like the AFX feature both with two speakers and with the headphones.
>
> Still a lot to learn.
>
> 73,
>
> Hoop
> K9QJS
> San Juan Island, WA

Re: [KPA500] Peculiar behavior : no power output on Operate

W5RDW
Has happened to me on a number of times (can't recall the number, but at least 6-8 times) since I purchased the amp. new (factory assembled, S/N 82, shipped 6/15/2011).

Can't remember what I did to solve it. I usually panic and turn things on and off, etc. and the problem goes away. The back panel switch stays ON all the time.
Roger W5RDW

Re: [KPA500] Peculiar behavior : no power output on Operate

WE5ST
Since my KPA500 was new I have experienced this problem. I have always thought it is a communication / handshaking issue between the KPA500 and K3.
My remedy is to:
1. put power to the KPA500 -
2. wait for the K3 to display the "KPA500 ON" message
3. go from "Standby" to "Operate" and again -
4. wait for the K3 to display "KPA500 Operate"

Then I begin transmitting without problem. It's a little delay when trying to snag new DX but every computer controlled device needs some time to initialize. Of course I could be completely wrong about the cause and just "dumb lucky" on the solution!

73 - Jack, WE5ST
Jack - WE5ST

Re: [KPA500] Peculiar behavior : no power output on Operate

W5RDW
Update........

I just turned on the K3/KPA500/P3 as usual (KPA500 is OPER, not Standby) and listened to the band for awhile. I heard a strong station calling on 12 meters SSB from Scotland and gave him a call and noticed only the K3 was putting out power (probably 20 or so watts, the low drive I usually use to drive the KPA500). He answered me and I then came back to him on the OVER, but now, the K3/KPA500 was putting out 400-450 watts as normal.

I now remember this has been the case a number of times before when I was initially at a low power out condition (expecting a high power out condition from the K3/KPA500) and then when I "goosed" it again, everything came up to normal.
Roger W5RDW

Re: [KPA500] Peculiar behavior : possible solution

Jack Berry
My theory on the "Peculiar behavior" issue:
I have seen this problem several times before and finally decided it's an issue of interrupted "handshaking" between the K3 and KPA500. Seems that all communicating digital devices go through and introduction to confirm communication before they get down to business.
My solution is to power on the K3,
-wait till the banner has cleared and then hit the KPA500 front panel ON button.
-Wait till the "KPA500 On" banner has cleared and then switch from Standby to Operate.

When I have taken the few extra seconds to all the handshaking to complete, I don't recall ever seeing a failure of the KPA500 to deliver full power.

God Bless & 73!Jack - WE5ST

________________________________

Re: [KPA500] Peculiar behavior : possible solution

W5RDW
Could be that is what is happening. I know I usually turn on the Astron, the K3 and the KPA500 (but leave the KPA500 in STBY (just out of habit). Usually I am hunting DX, so after I hear a station I want to contact, I usually flip on the KPA500 to OPER and then call, sometimes rather fast.

Best I need to let things get comfortable  before I start to call!
Roger W5RDW

Re: [KPA500] Peculiar behavior : possible solution

Gary Gregory
*Jack,

That has been my suspicion since the KPA500FT arrived. I wait till the
banner has cleared AND the kpa500 has been acknowledged by the K3.

In the early days of testing I noticed this anomaly quite often but since I
started to 'wait' for the K-Line to complete 'turn on' the issue has not
returned.

Gary
*
On 28 October 2012 03:31, Jack Berry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My theory on the "Peculiar behavior" issue:
> I have seen this problem several times before and finally decided it's an
> issue of interrupted "handshaking" between the K3 and KPA500. Seems that
> all communicating digital devices go through and introduction to confirm
> communication before they get down to business.
> My solution is to power on the K3,
> -wait till the banner has cleared and then hit the KPA500 front panel ON
> button.
> -Wait till the "KPA500 On" banner has cleared and then switch from Standby
> to Operate.
>
> When I have taken the few extra seconds to all the handshaking to
> complete, I don't recall ever seeing a failure of the KPA500 to deliver
> full power.
>
> God Bless & 73!Jack - WE5ST
>

> ________________________________

*Gary*
*Start the day off slow, then taper off.........*
K3 #679
KPA500FT #18
KAT500FT 007
P3 #1629

Re: [KPA500] Peculiar behavior : possible solution

George Danner
My observations:
The K3 is delivering only the KPA500 drive level power not 100 watts. So at
least the K3 "thinks" it is driving the PA in operating mode. The KPA500 has
only the first one or 2 power leds lit.
The PA has the *. I think that indicates key is being generated.
Mine does this about 1 or 2% of the time and only for the First QSO.

I have had the issue after starting the K-Line sequentially, i.e. K3 boots
first (to the end of the banner), P3 boots (after waiting for SVGA) then I
turn on the KPA500; as well as starting all at the same time. I have been
using the sequential method for a while now.

If it is important to have the KPA500 operating (Net Control), I test it
into the dummy to be sure. The failure is very low & my observations are
over many times not just one. They could be flawed; but I think not.

George
AI4VZ

Re: [KPA500] Peculiar behavior : possible solution

KENT TRIMBLE
My profound input . . .

1)  K3 and KPA500 can be turned on in any sequence, any order, without
any pause.

2)  KPA500 can be set to power up in OPERATEmode with no adverse
consequences.

3)  KPA500 _must _be allowed to complete its booting before being used
(mere seconds)

4)  KPA500 _must not_ be used until the K3 displays both the "KPA500"
and "OPERATE" indicatorsor else it will fault.

5)  When observing the above and when the K3 output is properly
adjusted, the KPA500 always delivers its ratedpower.

5) Over the last two years mine has been used at numerous Special
Events, Boy Scout retreats, JOTA, National Level Exercises, etc.,
without a single miscue, snit, or failure.

73,

Kent K9ZTV

On 10/27/2012 2:38 PM, GDanner wrote:

> My observations:
> The K3 is delivering only the KPA500 drive level power not 100 watts. So at
> least the K3 "thinks" it is driving the PA in operating mode. The KPA500 has
> only the first one or 2 power leds lit.
> The PA has the *. I think that indicates key is being generated.
> Mine does this about 1 or 2% of the time and only for the First QSO.
>
> I have had the issue after starting the K-Line sequentially, i.e. K3 boots
> first (to the end of the banner), P3 boots (after waiting for SVGA) then I
> turn on the KPA500; as well as starting all at the same time. I have been
> using the sequential method for a while now.
>
> If it is important to have the KPA500 operating (Net Control), I test it
> into the dummy to be sure. The failure is very low & my observations are
> over many times not just one. They could be flawed; but I think not.
>
> George
> AI4VZ

I don't want to belabor my problem (albeit a very minor one), but had the K3/KPA500/P3 on for maybe an hour or so just tuning the band. I heard a station on 17M SSB calling CQ and I answered him. Just like a few times before, I saw only low power out (only K3 drive power to KPA500) at first. I un-keyed for a second or so and then keyed up again and full power came out of KPA500. BTW, I even went so far as doing the routine that Kent, K9ZTV had detailed first when I turned everything on.

No big deal here, but just an observation of what happens on occasion. I made another few Q's and everything was responding like expected. I am going to conclude this is an minor anomaly I can live with for now and truck on!

Going to drive down to Array Solutions tomorrow to pick up a new play toy, so I will have my hands full then!

Roger W5RDW