KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

Doug Joyce
Group:  I'm checking out a recently completed KPA500 (#234) running FW V1.11 with a K3/10 running FW Ver 4.36.   The K3/100 with which it will eventually be used is otherwise tied up and I wanted to confirm the the per-band power control feature when used with the K3.  (I'm using the AUX interface cable.)

It doesn't seem to work as described in the KPA500 Owner's Manual Rev B - see page 9 Item 4 under Transmitting.  If I put the Amp in Standby and set the K3 for 5 W as a low power level and then turn the Amp to Operate and run the K3 up to a drive level of about 8 W to produce about 100 Watts from the KPA500, then when I turn the Amp back to Standby the power level is 8 W not 5W.

Perhaps the per-band power control is dependent on using a K3/100 not a K3/10.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

73,  Doug  VE3MV

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

Ken Wagner K3IU
Make sure that you turned on the Aux Bus
in the KPA menu.
73,
Ken K3IU

On 8/12/2011 11:41 PM, D Joyce wrote:

> Group:  I'm checking out a recently completed KPA500 (#234) running FW V1.11 with a K3/10 running FW Ver 4.36.   The K3/100 with which it will eventually be used is otherwise tied up and I wanted to confirm the the per-band power control feature when used with the K3.  (I'm using the AUX interface cable.)
>
> It doesn't seem to work as described in the KPA500 Owner's Manual Rev B - see page 9 Item 4 under Transmitting.  If I put the Amp in Standby and set the K3 for 5 W as a low power level and then turn the Amp to Operate and run the K3 up to a drive level of about 8 W to produce about 100 Watts from the KPA500, then when I turn the Amp back to Standby the power level is 8 W not 5W.
>
> Perhaps the per-band power control is dependent on using a K3/100 not a K3/10.
>
> Anyone else seeing the same thing?
>
> 73,  Doug  VE3MV

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

Ken Wagner K3IU
And... make sure the K3 CONFIG:PWR SET
is on Per Band.

Does the KPA500 really have Firmware
version 1.11???

73, Ken K3IU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On 8/13/2011 6:42 AM, Ken Wagner K3IU
wrote:

> Make sure that you turned on the Aux
> Bus in the KPA menu.
> 73,
> Ken K3IU
>
> On 8/12/2011 11:41 PM, D Joyce wrote:
>> Group:  I'm checking out a recently
>> completed KPA500 (#234) running FW
>> V1.11 with a K3/10 running FW Ver
>> 4.36.   The K3/100 with which it will
>> eventually be used is otherwise tied
>> up and I wanted to confirm the the
>> per-band power control feature when
>> used with the K3.  (I'm using the AUX
>> interface cable.)
>>
>> It doesn't seem to work as described
>> in the KPA500 Owner's Manual Rev B -
>> see page 9 Item 4 under
>> Transmitting.  If I put the Amp in
>> Standby and set the K3 for 5 W as a
>> low power level and then turn the Amp
>> to Operate and run the K3 up to a
>> drive level of about 8 W to produce
>> about 100 Watts from the KPA500, then
>> when I turn the Amp back to Standby
>> the power level is 8 W not 5W.
>>
>> Perhaps the per-band power control is
>> dependent on using a K3/100 not a K3/10.
>>
>> Anyone else seeing the same thing?
>>
>> 73,  Doug  VE3MV

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list:
>> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

Richard Griest
Ken,

All good points and must be done to take full advantage of the KPA's capabilities.   The V1.11 threw me too.  I have been communicating with Elecraft on a separate issue on the K3/PR6/KPA compatibility and they have noted the highest (Non Released) Version is 1.09.  I even checked earlier this AM to see what was actually on the Elecraft Site as far as Firmware Download Version and it is "still" as V1.02.   This is what my KPA came with about two weeks ago.   I do not know where the 1.11 came from unless Elecraft generated another Beta Version and sent it out seperately.

Good comments...

73's
Richard Griest - WB4VMH

wrote:

> Make sure that you turned on the Aux
> Bus in the KPA menu.
> 73,
> Ken K3IU
>
> On 8/12/2011 11:41 PM, D Joyce wrote:
>> Group:  I'm checking out a recently
>> completed KPA500 (#234) running FW
>> V1.11 with a K3/10 running FW Ver
>> 4.36.   The K3/100 with which it will
>> eventually be used is otherwise tied
>> up and I wanted to confirm the the
>> per-band power control feature when
>> used with the K3.  (I'm using the AUX
>> interface cable.)
>>
>> It doesn't seem to work as described
>> in the KPA500 Owner's Manual Rev B -
>> see page 9 Item 4 under
>> Transmitting.  If I put the Amp in
>> Standby and set the K3 for 5 W as a
>> low power level and then turn the Amp
>> to Operate and run the K3 up to a
>> drive level of about 8 W to produce
>> about 100 Watts from the KPA500, then
>> when I turn the Amp back to Standby
>> the power level is 8 W not 5W.
>>
>> Perhaps the per-band power control is
>> dependent on using a K3/100 not a K3/10.
>>
>> Anyone else seeing the same thing?
>>
>> 73,  Doug  VE3MV

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list:
>> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

John E. Reiser
Hi Doug VE3MV,

I have noticed a similar anomaly with the per-band power control.  I suspect
a bug in the firmware.

I run FW 4.39 on my K3/100 with the AUX cable to the KPA500 (#192) running
FW 1.02.  (Where did you find version 1.11?)

I have set  the K3 CONFIG:PWR SET  to PER BAND, and I have set the KPA500
MENU: AUXBUS to ON, as Richard, WB4VMH and Ken, K3IU have responded to you.
Additionally, I have set the KPA500 MENU: BAND CHG to STBY.  This is
supposed to switch the amp to standby after a band change, which it does.

I set two power levels per band.  When the amp is on STANDBY, I set 100
watts on the K3.  And, when the amp is on OPERATE, I set the power out of
the K3 to whatever it takes to produce 500 watts out from the amp (25 to 31
watts depending on the band).

My expectation is that the power out from the K3 will switch to 100 watts
whenever the amp is in STANDBY mode and then drop to the appropriate lower
level whenever I put the amp in OPERATE mode by tapping the operate/standby
switch on the amp.

This works perfectly as long as I use the switch on the amp to go back and
forth from STANDBY to OPERATE.

*** But, If I change bands on the K3, and the amp automatically goes into
STANDBY mode as a result, as it should because I have set the KPA500 MENU:
BAND CHG to STBY, the dual power switching feature doesn't work. ***

The K3 seems to "remember" the last power level that was set.  This anomaly
persists even if you return to the original band and put the amp in OPERATE
mode.  This is wrong.

It risks over driving the amp for anyone who reasonably expects a low power
level whenever the amp is in OPERATE mode, and high power whenever the amp
is in STANDBY mode, whether it is invoked by a button tap on the amp or a
band change.  I did it twice before I figured out what was happening.
Luckily, there was no damage.  Now I don't trust the dual power level
feature.  I have to check the power on the K3 whenever I change bands.

I realize that my situation is slightly different from yours Doug.  But I
think they are related.  I took the time to describe it as best I could
because I have confidence that Elecraft will let me know what I have missed,
or fix this in a future firmware release.  Having dual K3 power levels per
band dependent on whether the KPA500 is in STANDBY or OPERATE mode is a
superb feature_ if only I could get it to work properly.

Many thanks to all, and 73,

John, W2GW

> Group:  I'm checking out a recently completed KPA500 (#234) running FW
> V1.11 with a K3/10 running FW Ver 4.36.   The K3/100 with which it will
> eventually be used is otherwise tied up and I wanted to confirm the the
> per-band power control feature when used with the K3.  (I'm using the AUX
> interface cable.)
>
> It doesn't seem to work as described in the KPA500 Owner's Manual Rev B -
> see page 9 Item 4 under Transmitting.  If I put the Amp in Standby and set
> the K3 for 5 W as a low power level and then turn the Amp to Operate and
> run the K3 up to a drive level of about 8 W to produce about 100 Watts
> from the KPA500, then when I turn the Amp back to Standby the power level
> is 8 W not 5W.
>
> Perhaps the per-band power control is dependent on using a K3/100 not a
> K3/10.
>
> Anyone else seeing the same thing?
>
> 73,  Doug  VE3MV

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

k6dgw
I notice the same thing.  I would love to have VFO B show the K3 power
out when I change bands.  Right now "KPA500" and "OPERATE" of "STANDBY"
are spelled out.  They could be abbreviated leaving room for the actual
power my K3 is going to make the first time I press the key.  I'm always
wary that something didn't change the power and I'm going fry the 500
with a full 100W of drive.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean something really isn't out to
get me."

On 8/13/2011 7:11 AM, John E. Reiser wrote:
> Hi Doug VE3MV,

> This works perfectly as long as I use the switch on the amp to go back and
> forth from STANDBY to OPERATE.
>
> *** But, If I change bands on the K3, and the amp automatically goes into
> STANDBY mode as a result, as it should because I have set the KPA500 MENU:
> BAND CHG to STBY, the dual power switching feature doesn't work. ***

K2/100 w KAT-100 Mounting Bracket ?

Eugene Balinski
All,

    Has anyone developed a bracket for the combination of
the K2/100 and the KAT-100 ?  I need a method of
transporting them and moving them around easily.

    Maybe Elecraft could sell a set of side plates that
would screw in to both the K2 and the KAT-100 with a handle
on one plate and rubber feet on the other ?  According to
my measurements, we just need another 3/8" of metal.

    Anyone else interested ?

72/73
K1NR

K2  6Kxx

Re: K2/100 w KAT-100 Mounting Bracket ?

Don Wilhelm-4
Gene,

I once fixed a KAT100 to the bottom of the K2/100 at the request of the
owner.
All that was required was a strip of metal about 1 inch (OK maybe 1.5
inches) wide with holes drilled in the places required to substitute for
the normal screws in the bottom side panels of the K2 and the top side
panels of the KAT100.

Use longer screws - 3/16 inch plus the thickness of the added plates -
5/16 inch would be ideal for a 1/8 inch added strip, but these
particular screws can be longer since there is not another screw located
on the other side of the 2D connector, and I would suggest 3/8 inch
screws which can be commonly obtained.  If you want black screws you
will have to order from a supply house like McMaster-Carr
(www.mcmaster.com) and you will probably have to buy a box of 100.

You can purchase lengths of aluminum in various thicknesses and widths
at your local DIY store (or from McMaster-Carr).  I would suggest the
1/8 inch thickness.

To service either unit, simply remove the added strips.

I have seen other implementations that involved removing the feet from
the K2 and routing the connecting cable to the KAT100 inside the
enclosure, but these are a bear to open for troubleshooting and repair
if that is ever necessary.

On 8/13/2011 1:47 PM, Eugene Balinski wrote:

> All,
>
>      Has anyone developed a bracket for the combination of
> the K2/100 and the KAT-100 ?  I need a method of
> transporting them and moving them around easily.
>
>      Maybe Elecraft could sell a set of side plates that
> would screw in to both the K2 and the KAT-100 with a handle
> on one plate and rubber feet on the other ?  According to
> my measurements, we just need another 3/8" of metal.

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

John E. Reiser
Hi Fred, K6DGW,

Many thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone.  With over 300 KPA500s
out there, no one else has responded to my post.  That made me start to
think that maybe I had missed some necessary setting.  (Not really.)

By the way, could someone please send me the url for the KPA500 beta
firmware directory?

73, John, W2GW

>I notice the same thing.  I would love to have VFO B show the K3 power
> out when I change bands.  Right now "KPA500" and "OPERATE" of "STANDBY"
> are spelled out.  They could be abbreviated leaving room for the actual
> power my K3 is going to make the first time I press the key.  I'm always
> wary that something didn't change the power and I'm going fry the 500
> with a full 100W of drive.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
> - www.cqp.org
>
> "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean something really isn't out to
> get me."
>
> On 8/13/2011 7:11 AM, John E. Reiser wrote:
>> Hi Doug VE3MV,
>
>> This works perfectly as long as I use the switch on the amp to go back
>> and
>> forth from STANDBY to OPERATE.
>>
>> *** But, If I change bands on the K3, and the amp automatically goes into
>> STANDBY mode as a result, as it should because I have set the KPA500
>> MENU:
>> BAND CHG to STBY, the dual power switching feature doesn't work. ***

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

Doug Joyce
Just to bring everyone up to date on the problem I reported last evening -
doing the K3 Config:Power Set --> per band (as suggested by Ken K3IU) fixed
the problem.  Band control works from either the K3 or the KPA500 and K3
power settings are rememberd for all bands.  Works slick.

73,  Doug

> Group:  I'm checking out a recently completed KPA500 (#234) running FW
> V1.11 with a K3/10 running FW Ver 4.36.   The K3/100 with which it will
> eventually be used is otherwise tied up and I wanted to confirm the the
> per-band power control feature when used with the K3.  (I'm using the AUX
> interface cable.)
>
> It doesn't seem to work as described in the KPA500 Owner's Manual Rev B -
> see page 9 Item 4 under Transmitting.  If I put the Amp in Standby and set
> the K3 for 5 W as a low power level and then turn the Amp to Operate and
> run the K3 up to a drive level of about 8 W to produce about 100 Watts
> from the KPA500, then when I turn the Amp back to Standby the power level
> is 8 W not 5W.
>
> Perhaps the per-band power control is dependent on using a K3/100 not a
> K3/10.
>
> Anyone else seeing the same thing?
>
> 73,  Doug  VE3MV

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

John E. Reiser
Yes, that much works here too.

What doesn't work is setting the KPA500 MENU: BAND CHG to STBY and expecting
that the power out from the K3 will reliably switch to higher power whenever
the amp is in STANDBY mode, both whether invoked by the button on the amp or
by simply changing bands on the K3, and then reliably dropping to an
appropriate lower level whenever the amp is put  in OPERATE mode by tapping
the operate/standby button on the amp.

Whew!  I got it all into one sentence.  With 300+ KPA500s out there, am I
the only one to observe this?  Come on guys, can't anyone test this for me
with their setup?  How about it W4TV?

73, John, W2GW

> Just to bring everyone up to date on the problem I reported last evening -
> doing the K3 Config:Power Set --> per band (as suggested by Ken K3IU)
> fixed
> the problem.  Band control works from either the K3 or the KPA500 and K3
> power settings are rememberd for all bands.  Works slick.
>
> 73,  Doug

Many thanks to Fred, K6DGW, Paul, NF8J, Frank,W6NEK, and Tom, W1TXT, who responded to my post regarding this problem.

They have all concurred that the K3 does not retain the dual power settings correctly when KPA500 MENU: BAND CHG is set to STBY.

I'm now confident that Elecraft will fix this in a future firmware release.  Accordingly, I wish to end this thread.

73,  John, W2GW

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

Doug Joyce
GM John:

I'm not seeing that problem here with KPA500 s/n 234 and a recent K3/10 (s/n
54xx).  I'm using FW 4.39 in the K3 and FW 1.11 in the KPA500.  (Gary sent
me this most recent FW for the Amp on Fri).

I changed the PWR ON config in the KPA500 to "STBY" and the only thing it
affects is the power setting when turning the Amp On.  Changing bands from
either the K3 or the Amp doesn't change OPER to STBY or STBY to OPER.  I've
set the STBY power level to be 5 W and the OPER power level to be 125W
(approx 8 W from the K3) on all bands (all in CW mode).  Then regardless of
which unit is used to change bands and whether the Amp is in OPER or STBY
the power levels are as just indicated.  It works as expected.

Hope that helps.

73,  Doug  VE3MV

> What doesn't work is setting the KPA500 MENU: BAND CHG to STBY and
> expecting that the power out from the K3 will reliably switch to higher
> power whenever the amp is in STANDBY mode, both whether invoked by the
> button on the amp or by simply changing bands on the K3, and then reliably
> dropping to an appropriate lower level whenever the amp is put  in OPERATE
> mode by tapping the operate/standby button on the amp.
>
> Whew!  I got it all into one sentence.  With 300+ KPA500s out there, am I
> the only one to observe this?  Come on guys, can't anyone test this for me
> with their setup?  How about it W4TV?
>
> 73, John, W2GW

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

Nels Anderson
I reported this same issue way back in May when I first got my KPA500,
but at the time there were so few amps out there that no one really
cared. I still think it's a bug, but I was told my Elecraft that it was
intended to work that way.

73 Nels K1UR

On 8/13/2011 6:24 PM, John E. Reiser wrote:

> Yes, that much works here too.
>
> What doesn't work is setting the KPA500 MENU: BAND CHG to STBY and expecting
> that the power out from the K3 will reliably switch to higher power whenever
> the amp is in STANDBY mode, both whether invoked by the button on the amp or
> by simply changing bands on the K3, and then reliably dropping to an
> appropriate lower level whenever the amp is put  in OPERATE mode by tapping
> the operate/standby button on the amp.
>
> Whew!  I got it all into one sentence.  With 300+ KPA500s out there, am I
> the only one to observe this?  Come on guys, can't anyone test this for me
> with their setup?  How about it W4TV?
>
> 73, John, W2GW

Hi Nels, K1UR,

I agree.  It has to be a bug.  For it to be intended to work the way it does
with the current firmware is simply illogical.

Being the weekend, I have not heard from anyone at Elecraft yet.  But I
expect they will agree with us when they do respond tomorrow.

Thanks for your support.

73,  John, W2GW

>I reported this same issue way back in May when I first got my KPA500,
> but at the time there were so few amps out there that no one really
> cared. I still think it's a bug, but I was told my Elecraft that it was
> intended to work that way.
>
> 73 Nels K1UR
>

> On 8/13/2011 6:24 PM, John E. Reiser wrote:
>> Yes, that much works here too.
>>
>> What doesn't work is setting the KPA500 MENU: BAND CHG to STBY and
>> expecting
>> that the power out from the K3 will reliably switch to higher power
>> whenever
>> the amp is in STANDBY mode, both whether invoked by the button on the amp
>> or
>> by simply changing bands on the K3, and then reliably dropping to an
>> appropriate lower level whenever the amp is put  in OPERATE mode by
>> tapping
>> the operate/standby button on the amp.
>>
>> Whew!  I got it all into one sentence.  With 300+ KPA500s out there, am I
>> the only one to observe this?  Come on guys, can't anyone test this for
>> me
>> with their setup?  How about it W4TV?
>>
>> 73, John, W2GW

Richard Squire - HB9ANM
I remember reading a post by someone at Elecraft (can't remember who it was) saying it was a timing problem (well, call it a bug if you like) which would be solved in the next FW release.
Someone wrote on this reflector he already had pre-beta release 1.11 and no problem.
Let be patient!
73
Richard - HB9ANM

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

N5GE

I have never had the problems you guys have described with the OPER and STBY
power settings on my KPA500 #119.

What do they say at Elecraft Support when you ask them?  Have you ever talked
with anyone at Elecraft about this?

Thanks for ending the thread.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 08:03:46 -0400, "John E. Reiser" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Many thanks to Fred, K6DGW, Paul, NF8J, Frank,W6NEK, and Tom, W1TXT, who responded to my post regarding this problem.
>
>They have all concurred that the K3 does not retain the dual power settings correctly when KPA500 MENU: BAND CHG is set to STBY.
>
>I'm now confident that Elecraft will fix this in a future firmware release.  Accordingly, I wish to end this thread.
>
>73,  John, W2GW
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: KPA500 Question re the K3s per band power control

Phil Salas
I occasionally saw this problem in earlier KPA firmware.  It seemed
intermittant and I was unsure if it was me or the firmware that was causing
this - sounds like it was the firmware.  I'm currently testing the latest
1.11 and don't see the problem at all.  Be patient - I think the latest
KPA500 firmware will be released soon.

Phil - AD5X
K3 SN308
KPA500 SN12