KPA500 Serial 0194 Done!

Bruce W1UJR
Just finished up serial # 1094, nice kit, takes about 5 hours or so if you're enjoying the process.
On the air flawlessly this afternoon, photos up at http://www.w1ujr.net/elecraft_builds.htm

A few observations:

LEDS
Metering LEDS not very straight or level, was somewhat disappointed with the installation
job on the LEDs, many are not installed in line or level. Tempted to touch that up
myself as I have a nice rework station, but thought I'd call Elecraft first. I won't care
so much if it were something like the W1 wattmeter, but on a product the cost of the
amp, I know that Elecraft can do better.
Anyone else notice this?

Missing Hardware
I'm short almost all of the flat head screws for the top.
Thought I misplaced a bag, double checked, I was very
careful to measure screw length though out the build.
Anyone else have a problem with this?

Ribbon Cable
Anyone short the ribbon cable for front display?
I remember these back in the days of the early PCs,
think you can just pop off the back plastic cover
and punchdown the cable at another spot.

Love the product, these are just some feedback points and questions.

Cordially,
Bruce J. Howes W1UJR
www.W1UJR.net

Re: KPA500 Serial 0194 Done!

Tony Estep
On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Bruce W1UJR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...Metering LEDS not very straight or level...

====
Bruce, I had good luck by just holding a ruler along the bottom of the line
of LEDs (with the panel on) and straightening them with a finger. They look
pretty good now.

73, Tony KT0NY

Re: KPA500 Serial 0194 Done!

Dana Roode
Hi Bruce, built my KPA500 (# 166) last Sunday afternoon.  Had a pause
when I fired it up for the first time and got a fault - had the top
off, easy fix.  I too was short flat head screws for the top cover,
but found enough in the spares bag.  My LEDs lined up ok with my
finger.  No problem with ribbon cable.

  dana

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Bruce W1UJR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just finished up serial # 1094, nice kit, takes about 5 hours or so if you're enjoying the process.
> On the air flawlessly this afternoon, photos up at http://www.w1ujr.net/elecraft_builds.htm
>
> A few observations:
>
> LEDS
> Metering LEDS not very straight or level, was somewhat disappointed with the installation
> job on the LEDs, many are not installed in line or level. Tempted to touch that up
> myself as I have a nice rework station, but thought I'd call Elecraft first. I won't care
> so much if it were something like the W1 wattmeter, but on a product the cost of the
> amp, I know that Elecraft can do better.
> Anyone else notice this?
>
> Missing Hardware
> I'm short almost all of the flat head screws for the top.
> Thought I misplaced a bag, double checked, I was very
> careful to measure screw length though out the build.
> Anyone else have a problem with this?
>
> Ribbon Cable
> Anyone short the ribbon cable for front display?
> I remember these back in the days of the early PCs,
> think you can just pop off the back plastic cover
> and punchdown the cable at another spot.
>
> Love the product, these are just some feedback points and questions.
>

> Cordially,
> Bruce J. Howes W1UJR
> www.W1UJR.net

Re: KPA500 Serial 0194 Done!

ke9uw
I am really wanting to order this, started to twice, but the LED alignment kind of is holding me back. The screws I can manage. Any chance one of you can post a picture so I can see what or not the misalignment looks like?
Thanks, Chuck KE9UW

Tony Estep wrote
On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Bruce W1UJR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...Metering LEDS not very straight or level...

====
Bruce, I had good luck by just holding a ruler along the bottom of the line
of LEDs (with the panel on) and straightening them with a finger. They look
pretty good now.

73, Tony KT0NY

Chuck, KE9UW

Re: KPA500 Serial 0194 Done!

Tony Estep
Chuck, it's just a fraction of an inch, maybe 1/64". There's a line of LEDs
that make a bar-graph display of power. They're already soldered in place.
All you have to do after it's all finished is run your finger along the
bottom edge to straighten them up. Definitely shouldn't be something that
keeps you from enjoying this dynamite amp.

73,
Tony KT0NY

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 7:43 PM, ke9uw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am really wanting to order this, started to twice, but the LED alignment
> kind of is holding me back. ....

Re: KPA500 Serial 0194 Done!

ke9uw
Sounds good...I like things on the mark, why I chose Elecraft actually.
Chuck, KE9UW
Chuck, KE9UW

Re: KPA500 Serial 0194 Done!

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: KPA500 Serial 0194 Done!

ke9uw
Ha! I just put a Elecraft Noise Gen. kit together...missing one of the screws for the battery holder.
BUT!
All the other important parts were there, so I forgive them. I love the instructions and the way stuff just works when it's done.
Chuck, KE9UW
Chuck, KE9UW