[KPA500] Suggested checklist for installing KPA and KAT with K3?

[KPA500] Suggested checklist for installing KPA and KAT with K3?

W5UXH
I placed the order for the factory assembled KPA and KAT to go with my K3/100.  I would like to identify any specific configuration items I need to be aware of to hopefully smooth the integration of all three units.

Things already taken care of:
Latest K3 firmware (04.67).
Two 15 pin cables assembled per AD5X instructions.
KPA and KAT utilities installed.
I plan to use a single USB to RS-232 cable (already in use on the K3) with a switch box for all three units.  I still need to fabricate the DE-9 to 1/8" stereo plug adaptor for the KAT but have the wiring information needed for that.

Obvious configuration menu items to set:
Amplifier Key Interrupt Power:  select "Optimize for the KPA500"
Tuner Antenna selection per band:  I will set this appropriately for the two antennas I use.  (It appears that this can be set in the Configuration menu, but it sounds as if one can just "train" this setting on each band while training the tuner settings.)

In reading the KPA and KAT manuals I have not run across anything else so far.  I will need to set my K3 drive level for each band of course (currently set for an AL-80B/QSK amp).

My hope is to be able to hook everything up and be ready to train the KAT for each frequency segment of bands of interest, set the K3 drive level for each band, and be ready to go.

I will appreciate any suggestions / pointers that current users can provide.  I suspect there will be one or more menu items in the K3 needed, so I need to study the K3 documentation next.

Re: [KPA500] Suggested checklist for installing KPA and KAT with K3?

Rick Tavan N6XI
Using a switch for your three devices' RS232 connections reduces the number
of parts on the desk and the number of COMn allocations in your O/S. It may
work for you if your only use for RS232 is occasional firmware updates. In
fact, for that you could lose the switch, too, and just swap connectors.
But there are nice operating aids on the Operate pages of the KPA and KAT
Utilities that you might want to use while also operating the radio and
controlling it with a logging program. There are also some third party apps
that help with KPA and KAT operation and take up less screen space than the
Elecraft Utilities. If you operate remotely, one or the other is almost
essential. I always use separate RS232 connections for each device. No, I
don't have lots of real serial ports on my computer - just one, actually.
But I use lots of USB-Serial adapters with considerable success. They add
some maintenance chores but to me they're worth it.

Have fun,

/Rick N6XI

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM, W5UXH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I placed the order for the factory assembled KPA and KAT to go with my
> K3/100.  I would like to identify any specific configuration items I need
> be aware of to hopefully smooth the integration of all three units.
>
> Things already taken care of:
> Latest K3 firmware (04.67).
> Two 15 pin cables assembled per AD5X instructions.
> KPA and KAT utilities installed.
> I plan to use a single USB to RS-232 cable (already in use on the K3) with
> switch box for all three units.  I still need to fabricate the DE-9 to 1/8"
> stereo plug adaptor for the KAT but have the wiring information needed for
> that.
>
> Obvious configuration menu items to set:
> Amplifier Key Interrupt Power:  select "Optimize for the KPA500"
> Tuner Antenna selection per band:  I will set this appropriately for the
> two
> antennas I use.  (It appears that this can be set in the Configuration
> menu,
> but it sounds as if one can just "train" this setting on each band while
> training the tuner settings.)
>
> In reading the KPA and KAT manuals I have not run across anything else so
> far.  I will need to set my K3 drive level for each band of course
> (currently set for an AL-80B/QSK amp).
>
> My hope is to be able to hook everything up and be ready to train the KAT
> for each frequency segment of bands of interest, set the K3 drive level for
> each band, and be ready to go.
>
> I will appreciate any suggestions / pointers that current users can
> provide.
> I suspect there will be one or more menu items in the K3 needed, so I need
> to study the K3 documentation next.

Rick Tavan N6XI
Truckee, CA

Re: [KPA500] Suggested checklist for installing KPA and KAT with K3?

Dick Dievendorff-4
I use a four port USB to serial adapter  that connects to four Elecraft devices. It's almost as cheap and a bit simpler than a switch and associated cables. Gearmo makes it and I bought mine from Amazon. You might want a KXSER cables or the equivalent for the KAT500. Or use the KXUSB that comes with it.

Have fun!!

Dick, K6KR

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 27, 2013, at 19:45, W5UXH <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I placed the order for the factory assembled KPA and KAT to go with my
> K3/100.  I would like to identify any specific configuration items I need to
> be aware of to hopefully smooth the integration of all three units.
>
> Things already taken care of:
> Latest K3 firmware (04.67).
> Two 15 pin cables assembled per AD5X instructions.
> KPA and KAT utilities installed.
> I plan to use a single USB to RS-232 cable (already in use on the K3) with a
> switch box for all three units.  I still need to fabricate the DE-9 to 1/8"
> stereo plug adaptor for the KAT but have the wiring information needed for
> that.
>
> Obvious configuration menu items to set:
> Amplifier Key Interrupt Power:  select "Optimize for the KPA500"
> Tuner Antenna selection per band:  I will set this appropriately for the two
> antennas I use.  (It appears that this can be set in the Configuration menu,
> but it sounds as if one can just "train" this setting on each band while
> training the tuner settings.)
>
> In reading the KPA and KAT manuals I have not run across anything else so
> far.  I will need to set my K3 drive level for each band of course
> (currently set for an AL-80B/QSK amp).
>
> My hope is to be able to hook everything up and be ready to train the KAT
> for each frequency segment of bands of interest, set the K3 drive level for
> each band, and be ready to go.
>
> I will appreciate any suggestions / pointers that current users can provide.
> I suspect there will be one or more menu items in the K3 needed, so I need
> to study the K3 documentation next.

Re: [KPA500] Suggested checklist for installing KPA and KAT with K3?

N5GE

I recently replaced the mother board in one onf the computers here and
found that there were NO RS232 connectors on it, but a kazilion USB
ports.

I remedied the situation by purchasing a SIIG external device with
eight RS232 connectors and one USB 2 port that connects to a USB 2
port on the computer case.

It was not cheep, but was cheeper than buying 8 RS232 to USB connector
cables.

Tom
N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: [KPA500] Suggested checklist for installing KPA and KAT with K3?

W5UXH
All,

Thanks for the comments.  No one has mentioned anything other than the USB to Serial so maybe I have everything else covered (fat chance!).

I planned to use the single USB to Serial along with the switch because I already had all the cables and adaptors and the switch on hand and rarely have used the K3 utility.  I will look at the Gearmo and probably pick one up since I currently will be using most of my serial cables even though I would only be using one of the USB to Serial cables.  I definitely do not want to use up all of my individual USB to Serial (I think I only have three unused ones at the moment).

I am not a DXer or contester and doubt there will be features I will need to change on the fly.  I suspect this will be a "set up once" and forget about it configuration for me.

Thanks again.

Chuck, W5UXH