KPA500 - Z-Bracket Assembly Question

Robert Dorchuck
Finally getting started on Serial 366.  Got to page 22 - attaching the
Z-bracket to the heat sink.  Using the 5/16" flat head screws all of
the screws bottom out before the bracket is tight against the heat
sink.  Has anyone else seen this?  I did double check the screw
length.  I don't think the bracket should be loose.

I have seen an email to support but thought I would check the group.

Thanks

Bob  W6VY

Re: KPA500 - Z-Bracket Assembly Question

Stan Gibbs, KR7C
Yes, I had this same issue building SN401. I just used some spare shorter screws to attach the bracket.
73, Stan - KR7C

Re: KPA500 - Z-Bracket Assembly Question

Doug VE3VS
Quote "Finally getting started on Serial 366.  Got to page 22 - attaching the
Z-bracket to the heat sink.  Using the 5/16" flat head screws all of
the screws bottom out before the bracket is tight against the heat
sink.  Has anyone else seen this?  I did double check the screw
length.  I don't think the bracket should be loose. "

Hmmm! Unusual. Earlier this week I finished assembling #402.  I used hardware exactly as called for in the instructions. No problem with assembling the Z-bracket onto the heat sink, nor with fastening the bottom cover. I was one screw short at one point during the assembly, but simply used one from the "extras" package to complete the work.

I have been successfully integrating the KPA500 into my station, and giving it a good workout during the past couple of days.

73, Doug, VE3VS

Re: KPA500 - Z-Bracket Assembly Question

Robert Dorchuck
The holes in the heat sink were definitely not deep enough.  Gary at
Elecraft Support told me to use the 3/16" flat head screws to attach
the bracket.  I then used the 5/16 screws for the top cover where the
length did not matter.  The only other problem was the transfomer
mounting bolt - it was not threaded all the way.  I was lucky and
found a bolt at Ace Hardware .  The amp is now assembled and works
like a champ.

73,  Bob  W6VY