KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
A feature suggestion ... may not be the best time for it, but incase
it could be worked into the dev-cycle somehow....

I'd like to be able to configure the KPA500 to automatically put
itself in standby on certain bands, and active on others...
configuration would look like the K3's band-map.

The reason... in my remote setup, I have resonant antennas on some
bands, and currently use a KAT3 to make other bands (mostly WARC)
work. I'd like to be able to use the KPA500 on the "main" bands, but
still use KAT3 on the others... without having to remember to place
the KPA500 in standby..... at least until the KAT500 is ready :)

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Tony Estep
Yep, this is an obvious requirement. It may already be there but I
can't find it. If it is, please point it out for me. Thanks.
73,
Tony KT0NY

Sent from my iPod

On Apr 6, 2011, at 1:53 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> A feature suggestion ... may not be the best time for it, but incase
> it could be worked into the dev-cycle somehow....
>
> I'd like to be able to configure the KPA500 to automatically put
> itself in standby on certain bands, and active on others...
> configuration would look like the K3's band-map.
>
> The reason... in my remote setup, I have resonant antennas on some
> bands, and currently use a KAT3 to make other bands (mostly WARC)
> work. I'd like to be able to use the KPA500 on the "main" bands, but
> still use KAT3 on the others... without having to remember to place
> the KPA500 in standby..... at least until the KAT500 is ready :)
>
>    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Well that sounds very disappointing ... can we gets specs on the
maximum reflected power that this sensor circuitry can safely handle ?

    ~iain / N6ML

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Jack Brindle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Think twice before you do this. Subjecting the KPA500 to very high SWR
> between the transceiver and the antenna (with KPA500 in between, even if at
> standby) might damage the KPA500 circuitry. The ATU belongs _after_ the
> KPA500, not before it.
>
> Even though the amplifier section is bypassed, there is still sensor
> circuitry active in the front end of the KPA500 that may be damaged from
> high power and SWR.
>
> If you are going to do something like this, be sure to built a relay box
> that bypasses the KPA500 to protect it.
>
> Jack Brindle, W6FB
>

> On Apr 6, 2011, at 11:53 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
>
>> A feature suggestion ... may not be the best time for it, but incase
>> it could be worked into the dev-cycle somehow....
>>
>> I'd like to be able to configure the KPA500 to automatically put
>> itself in standby on certain bands, and active on others...
>> configuration would look like the K3's band-map.
>>
>> The reason... in my remote setup, I have resonant antennas on some
>> bands, and currently use a KAT3 to make other bands (mostly WARC)
>> work. I'd like to be able to use the KPA500 on the "main" bands, but
>> still use KAT3 on the others... without having to remember to place
>> the KPA500 in standby..... at least until the KAT500 is ready :)
>>
>>   ~iain / N6ML
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

KK7P
As Jack points out, the ATU belongs AFTER the KPA500 if you are using
non-resonant antennas.

if you are using some resonant and some non-resonant, and you want to
use the KAT3 for the non-resonant, then attach the resonant antennas to
the KPA500 and the non-resonant antennas to the other antenna connector
on the KAT3,  This way, the KPA500 will not be subjected to the voltage
or current extremes that might occur ion the feedline if you attempt to
put the KPA500 between the ATU and the antenna.

Otherwise, a high-power-capable ATU after the KPA500 will be needed, or
you will need to bypass the KPA500.

73,

Lyle KK7P

> Well that sounds very disappointing ... can we gets specs on the
> maximum reflected power that this sensor circuitry can safely handle ?

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Tony Estep
Like most hams, I use an antenna tuner on some bands. When I switch to those
bands, the amp will automatically switch but of course it will have to be
put in standby so I can adjust the tuner. I'm sure this is a common
situation, shared by many others.

The auto-bandswitch function of the amp should have an option to put the amp
into standby. Otherwise, it will guarantee that eventually the amp will be
operated into a mismatch and something will hot switch and/or blow.

Tony KT0NY

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 3:55 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Well that sounds very disappointing ...

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Hi Ian,

Jack is incorrect. It is not as critical as he implied. I operate often
into high SWRs with my K3/KAT3 running through  the amp in bypass mode.
I'll discuss this with the team here and get back to the list with any
bypass mode operating limits.

73, Eric

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:26 PM, Lyle Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As Jack points out, the ATU belongs AFTER the KPA500 if you are using
> non-resonant antennas.

Kinda tricky to do that with the KAT3 that's already inside the K3 :P

> if you are using some resonant and some non-resonant, and you want to use
> the KAT3 for the non-resonant, then attach the resonant antennas to the
> KPA500 and the non-resonant antennas to the other antenna connector on the
> KAT3,  This way, the KPA500 will not be subjected to the voltage or current
> extremes that might occur ion the feedline if you attempt to put the KPA500
> between the ATU and the antenna.

It's not quite that simple... basically, I'm using a Force12 C3SH,
which is resonant on 10/15/20, but also provides some gain on the WARC
bands, with a tuner for matching. I want to be able to use it QRO on
the bands where it's resonant, and barefoot with KAT3 on the 12/17m.

> Otherwise, a high-power-capable ATU after the KPA500 will be needed, or you
> will need to bypass the KPA500.

I'm hoping the KAT500 (?) will be a solution some day soon. Meanwhile,
Eric has given me renewed hope. I'll not cancel my order just yet ;)

    ~iain / N6ML

>> Well that sounds very disappointing ... can we gets specs on the
>> maximum reflected power that this sensor circuitry can safely handle ?

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Phil Salas
Tony - There is a menu set-up option in the KPA500 such that it can either
be set to stay in OPERATE when you change bands, or drop to STANDBY when you
change bands.

Phil - AD5X

"Like most hams, I use an antenna tuner on some bands. When I switch to
those
bands, the amp will automatically switch but of course it will have to be
put in standby so I can adjust the tuner. I'm sure this is a common
situation, shared by many others.

The auto-bandswitch function of the amp should have an option to put the amp
into standby. Otherwise, it will guarantee that eventually the amp will be
operated into a mismatch and something will hot switch and/or blow.

Tony KT0NY"

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

w0mu
If the amp is in standby the amp should do whatever it needs to protect
itself from high swr or whatever.  The other options suggested seem a
bit out of the ordinary to me.

I will probably buy a LDG tuner anyway as I understand the KAT500 is
still in design.  The LDG unfortunately does not handle 500 watts on 6m
even with their 1k version if I am not mistaken.

On 4/6/11 3:30 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> Jack is incorrect. It is not as critical as he implied. I operate often
> into high SWRs with my K3/KAT3 running through  the amp in bypass mode.
> I'll discuss this with the team here and get back to the list with any
> bypass mode operating limits.
>
> 73, Eric
>
> On 4/6/2011 1:55 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
>> Well that sounds very disappointing ... can we gets specs on the
>> maximum reflected power that this sensor circuitry can safely handle ?
>>
>>       ~iain / N6ML
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Jack Brindle<[hidden email]>   wrote:
>>> Think twice before you do this. Subjecting the KPA500 to very high SWR
>>> between the transceiver and the antenna (with KPA500 in between, even if at
>>> standby) might damage the KPA500 circuitry. The ATU belongs _after_ the
>>> KPA500, not before it.
>>>
>>> Even though the amplifier section is bypassed, there is still sensor
>>> circuitry active in the front end of the KPA500 that may be damaged from
>>> high power and SWR.
>>>
>>> If you are going to do something like this, be sure to built a relay box
>>> that bypasses the KPA500 to protect it.
>>>
>>> Jack Brindle, W6FB

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Yes,  but then you have to remember to "do the right thing" for the
band that you're changing to, every time... I'm envisaging a band-map
where I can specify:

6m Active
10m Active
12m Standby
15m Active
17m Standby
20m Active
....etc...

    ~iain / N6ML

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Phil & Debbie Salas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tony - There is a menu set-up option in the KPA500 such that it can either
> be set to stay in OPERATE when you change bands, or drop to STANDBY when you
> change bands.
>
> Phil - AD5X
>
> "Like most hams, I use an antenna tuner on some bands. When I switch to
> those
> bands, the amp will automatically switch but of course it will have to be
> put in standby so I can adjust the tuner. I'm sure this is a common
> situation, shared by many others.
>
> The auto-bandswitch function of the amp should have an option to put the amp
> into standby. Otherwise, it will guarantee that eventually the amp will be
> operated into a mismatch and something will hot switch and/or blow.
>
> Tony KT0NY"

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Tony Estep
Thanks, Phil. I was hoping someone would reassure me on this. I didn't see
it in the manual. Now I'm happy.

73,
Tony KT0NY

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Phil & Debbie Salas <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Tony - There is a menu set-up option in the KPA500 such that it can either
> be set to stay in OPERATE when you change bands, or drop to STANDBY when
> you
> change bands.
>
> Phil - AD5X

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
I just confirmed that there is -no- limitation when using the K3 at 100W
with KAT3 to work into a high SWR load through the KPA500 (in stand by
pass-through mode). If the KAT3 tunes it, you will be well within the
safe range for everyhting.  :-)

Also, there is a KAT500 in the works for release later this summer if
all goes to plan. Stay tuned!

73, Eric   WA6HHQ
----

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

John Harper AE5X
Can an Ele-Yagi be far behind?!

John Harper
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

>Also, there is a KAT500 in the works for release later this summer if
>all goes to plan. Stay tuned!

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

wayne burdick
Administrator
John Harper wrote:

> Can an Ele-Yagi be far behind?!

Don't I wish.

OTOH, we're considering bottling our own microbrew. (Might even be
more popular than the Kool-aid :)

Wayne
N6KR

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Bill N2BC
Sign me up for field test.

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Eugene Balinski
Me too !!

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 20:57:16 -0400
 "Bill Coleman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sign me up for field test.

Elecraft Ale

Phillip Lontz
> I need some.

Re: KPA500 feature suggestion - band bypass

Gary Gregory
*Hmmm...field testing the brew I assume?...:-)*
*
*
*Hic...me too please!*
*
*
*Ele-Brew Time is 1630 Local, here...:-)*
*
*
*73's*
*
*
*Gary
*
On 7 April 2011 11:05, Eugene Balinski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Me too !!
>
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 20:57:16 -0400
>  "Bill Coleman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Sign me up for field test.

*VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!*

KAT500

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy
Eric,

Any good possibility that later on you might also release a kW version which
can be used as a remote ATU?

Am planning for the not too distant future :-)

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD