KPA500 - just 500 watts?

k0wa@swbell.net

OK...

Got my flame suit on....

Why just 500 watts with te KPA-500?  Is that a majic number?  I am just asking.
It seems that 500 watts would be OK if you are on a DXpedition...but if you are
in the "fray" of a contest in the USofA....the more watts the better.

Don't get me wrong...I love the idea of the KPA500 and the KAT500.  But what is
majic about 500 watts when many amps will run much more than that and are a lot
less money?  Cost vs ????

Please don't kill me....just...wondering what the big deal is!

Lee - K0WA
K3/100 with the AL-82

 In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
-  John W. (Kansas)

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

David Pratt
In many countries the maximum permitted power is 400W (26dBW), Lee, so
an amplifier with 500W maximum capability is ideal.  An amplifier with
any greater power will have a limited market.  Over this side of the
pond we tend to stick to our licence conditions ;-)

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, Lee Buller <[hidden email]> writes
--
  + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
  | David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds.   |

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

MontyS

For me it's the difference between operation at 120 and 240 volts.  I would have to add a circuit for a 1500 watt unit.

Monty K2DLJ

> OK...
>
> Got my flame suit on....
>
> Why just 500 watts with te KPA-500?  Is that a majic number?  I am just asking.
> It seems that 500 watts would be OK if you are on a DXpedition...but if you are
> in the "fray" of a contest in the USofA....the more watts the better.

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

Pete Smith N4ZR
I *think* I remember someone at Elecraft saying that it was more related
to the price point.  I wonder, though, if it was also maybe making use
of engineering done on the 1500-watt prototype that never came out (one
of 3 amp modules, perhaps?  I would have mortgaged my first-born for one
of those big ones, even at Alpha-like prices!

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

On 1/25/2011 10:12 AM, Monty Shultes wrote:

> For me it's the difference between operation at 120 and 240 volts.  I would have to add a circuit for a 1500 watt unit.
>
> Monty K2DLJ
>

>> OK...
>>
>> Got my flame suit on....
>>
>> Why just 500 watts with te KPA-500?  Is that a majic number?  I am just asking.
>> It seems that 500 watts would be OK if you are on a DXpedition...but if you are
>> in the "fray" of a contest in the USofA....the more watts the better.

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

Phil Hystad-3
For me, 500 watts is just right.  I work mostly CW and so far I have never even operated CW at more then 100 watts.  There are times when I pick up a station that is so week it is a real struggle to copy.  But, I do and I work that guy with my 100 watts and he hears me.  I think at times 500 watts means I am pushing out more power then most of the stations that I hear.  Sure, someone else could be working with power but I think that CW ops have a tendency to be operating at 100 watts or less.

Oh, I never do contesting -- way too much commitment of time for me.  When the contests hit, I am usually found on 30 meters.

And, 500 watts probably does not bother the neighbors.  I know 100 watts doesn't and I know 1000 watts does (sometimes).  And, 1500 watts would definitely be a bother -- I would have to move to use it.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Jan 25, 2011, at 7:25 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

> I *think* I remember someone at Elecraft saying that it was more related
> to the price point.  I wonder, though, if it was also maybe making use
> of engineering done on the 1500-watt prototype that never came out (one
> of 3 amp modules, perhaps?  I would have mortgaged my first-born for one
> of those big ones, even at Alpha-like prices!
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR

> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
>

> On 1/25/2011 10:12 AM, Monty Shultes wrote:
>> For me it's the difference between operation at 120 and 240 volts.  I would have to add a circuit for a 1500 watt unit.
>>
>> Monty K2DLJ
>>

>>> OK...
>>>
>>> Got my flame suit on....
>>>
>>> Why just 500 watts with te KPA-500?  Is that a majic number?  I am just asking.
>>> It seems that 500 watts would be OK if you are on a DXpedition...but if you are
>>> in the "fray" of a contest in the USofA....the more watts the better.

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

Vic K2VCO
It's interesting that at least two prototypes existed: one each of the KPA-800 and
KPA-1500. I saw them. Maybe there are more.

I presume that Elecraft employees have them. I was told at the time that there were no
serious technical problems, just that they were busy with the K3. Then I presume that
marketing considerations led them to rethink the idea (my unprofessional guess is that
they were right).

But can you imagine how much one of those prototypes would fetch on EBay?

Speaking of dollars per watt, I'm presently using a homebrew pair of 813's which produce
800 watts (QSK but no 6M) and I have less than $400 into it. $0.50 dollars per watt.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

wayne burdick
500 W (+) is the ideal output level for many operators and situations.
Call it "medium" power, if you will -- but the KPA500 can get the job
done, while taking up just a K3's worth of space on your desk. And you
can pick it up and move it if you need to.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

John Ragle
1 S-unit is about 6 dB. To get an S-unit improvement over 500 watts
(output) would require about 2 kW of output power. In comparison, even
the simplest directional antenna is capable of producing at least 6 dB
"gain." It seems to me that the QRO philosophy of "Stomp 'em into the
Dust" is a poor substitute for operating skill. Moreover, it is probably
even illegal in the sense that it constitutes deliberate interference
with another's signals and a disdain for the rule that says that only
enough power is to be used to maintain effective communication.

There is a connection between this attitude and the impulse to
communicate by voice methods, even to the resurgence of interest in
broadcast quality AM transmission. These are all wasteful of spectrum
space and energy resources. Digital modes are surely capable of more
effective DX'ing with much lower power levels, and attention to antenna
design and operating conditions would seem to be much more thoughtful
and professional than the CB-like attitude which is now found on the
phone bands. BPSKnn is suitable for chatting, and if your bag is
"hello-goodbye," take a look at JT65-HF and what is possible with only a
few watts of TX power.

John Ragle -- W1ZI -- with almost 65 years of licensed experience in
amateur radio...

=====

On 1/25/2011 9:35 AM, Lee Buller wrote:
> Got my flame suit on....

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

P.B. Christensen
> Speaking of dollars per watt, I'm presently using a homebrew pair of 813's
> which produce
> 800 watts (QSK but no 6M) and I have less than $400 into it. $0.50 dollars
> per watt.

Impressive, Vic. I would love to see some photos of your amp!  In addition
to the price/watt factor, perhaps equally important is a figure that takes
into account price in relation to IMD in -dBc per $.

Paul, W9AC

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

alsopb
John,

Fine in theory.  Now tell me the power level I need to crack any given
pileup in a reasonable amount of time and I'll use it.  The fact is that
one doesn't know.   The best way to lower the overall pileup QRM is to
work the station quickly and QRT.

The appropriate measure of QRM is energy not power.  Energy is power
times time.

Pointing to WSJT isn't reasonable since the power level required is mode
and mode bandwidth dependent.  I've tried WSJT on HF and fell asleep
during the 5+ minute exchange.  It isn't a mode for everyone and every
situation.  Given that other modes can work the same station in 10
seconds, multiply the WSJT power by 60 to get the same amount of energy
put into the atmosphere for one contact.  So WSJT energy emitted
/contact is more like a 120 watt xmitter in some other mode.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 1/25/2011 11:21 AM, John Ragle wrote:

> 1 S-unit is about 6 dB. To get an S-unit improvement over 500 watts
> (output) would require about 2 kW of output power. In comparison, even
> the simplest directional antenna is capable of producing at least 6 dB
> "gain." It seems to me that the QRO philosophy of "Stomp 'em into the
> Dust" is a poor substitute for operating skill. Moreover, it is probably
> even illegal in the sense that it constitutes deliberate interference
> with another's signals and a disdain for the rule that says that only
> enough power is to be used to maintain effective communication.
>
> There is a connection between this attitude and the impulse to
> communicate by voice methods, even to the resurgence of interest in
> broadcast quality AM transmission. These are all wasteful of spectrum
> space and energy resources. Digital modes are surely capable of more
> effective DX'ing with much lower power levels, and attention to antenna
> design and operating conditions would seem to be much more thoughtful
> and professional than the CB-like attitude which is now found on the
> phone bands. BPSKnn is suitable for chatting, and if your bag is
> "hello-goodbye," take a look at JT65-HF and what is possible with only a
> few watts of TX power.
>
> John Ragle -- W1ZI -- with almost 65 years of licensed experience in
> amateur radio...
>
> =====
>
> On 1/25/2011 9:35 AM, Lee Buller wrote:
>
>> Got my flame suit on....

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

N2TK
Hi John,
I agree with some of what you said. There are times, especially on the lower
bands, even with an antenna with gain that signals are very weak whether on
CW or SSB. Sometimes 100W just doesn't make it happen. Having the capability
to go to 1500W in these situations may make the difference between working a
"new one" and not working the "new one".
Many times we are at the mercy of the DX that we want to work. So having the
ability of using higher power that we are allowed to use may make all the
difference in the world.

Usually in the winter my amp is ON even though I normally don't use it for
casual operating. The darn 3 minute warm up has caused me to miss a new one
such as Zone 19 on Topband a few years back when I heard him and could not
work him on 160M with 100W. By the time the amp cycled ON he faded away. The
amp is in the basement so no added heat or noise in the shack and most of
the power while idling is for the filaments in the two tubes.
This is one reason I would like to have a 1500W 160-6M solid-state amp in
the basement. I could leave it off till I really needed it.

By the way, there is nothing magic that you need a 6db difference to make
the difference between making or not making a contact. When the DX is at the
noise level much less than 6db gain could make all the difference.

73,
N2TK, Tony

1 S-unit is about 6 dB. To get an S-unit improvement over 500 watts
(output) would require about 2 kW of output power. In comparison, even
the simplest directional antenna is capable of producing at least 6 dB
"gain." It seems to me that the QRO philosophy of "Stomp 'em into the
Dust" is a poor substitute for operating skill. Moreover, it is probably
even illegal in the sense that it constitutes deliberate interference
with another's signals and a disdain for the rule that says that only
enough power is to be used to maintain effective communication.

There is a connection between this attitude and the impulse to
communicate by voice methods, even to the resurgence of interest in
broadcast quality AM transmission. These are all wasteful of spectrum
space and energy resources. Digital modes are surely capable of more
effective DX'ing with much lower power levels, and attention to antenna
design and operating conditions would seem to be much more thoughtful
and professional than the CB-like attitude which is now found on the
phone bands. BPSKnn is suitable for chatting, and if your bag is
"hello-goodbye," take a look at JT65-HF and what is possible with only a
few watts of TX power.

John Ragle -- W1ZI -- with almost 65 years of licensed experience in
amateur radio...

=====

On 1/25/2011 9:35 AM, Lee Buller wrote:
> Got my flame suit on....

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

John Ragle
My reaction to your question is "who cares?" Your response indicates
your lack of regard for the others who must share spectrum space with you.

=====

On 1/25/2011 11:59 AM, briana wrote:
> John,
>
> Fine in theory.  Now tell me the power level I need to crack any given
> pileup in a reasonable amount of time and I'll use it.

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

k6rb
The question of "how much power is enough?" is always good for a lot of
chatter. Yes, an extra S unit requires 6 dB more power. Under some
conditions, if 100 w gets you to S7, then dumping in enough power to get
you to S8 is a case of diminishing returns. But, if 100 watts gets you to
S3 with ambient noise hovering between S2 and S4, then that extra S unit
can make the difference between making that contest Q or getting that new
country.

Emotionally, it's hard to grok that going from 500 watts to 1500 watts
makes scant difference in what's heard on the other end of the circuit. I
know that there are rare cases where cutting back from 1 KW to 500 watts
reduces the R from a 5 to a 4, but usually it makes no difference.

After a zillion years of running 100 watts or less into random lengths
strung out of windows, I got my first yagi in 1981, and my first amp - an
Ameritron AL-80 (the very first one with quasi-QSK built in). It put out
about 700 watts, comfortably, and with the TET 4-element/triband yagi, I
felt indominitable. Pile ups? No problem. Contest score surges; big time.

Since then, I've spent considerably more on tower, yagis, SO2R radios and
amps, and I've never felt the same sense of differentiation as when I
first got a yagi and an amp.

Right now, I have a Alpha 87A and Ten-Tec Centurion. I never run either
above 1 KW. When the KPA-500 comes out, I'm inclined to put it in place of
the Centurion and see how it plays. If I see little difference, I'll
probably put the Centurion on the shelf, or sell it. If the difference is
really scant, I may do the same with the Alpha. I already have 240 at the
rig desk, so that's not an issue.

I have been hesitant to go solid-state QRO because of the horror stories
I've heard about amps blowing up. But, I don't think Elecraft will put an
amp on the market until they believe it's reasonably bullet proof.

My dos centavos,

Rob K6RB

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

Vic K2VCO
I'm planning to photos on my website soon.

IMD would be terrible because it operates in class C. I'm a CW operator! But I designed
the circuit so that the keying characteristics of my K3 are preserved.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

Jim Brown-10
On 1/25/2011 8:59 AM, N2TK, Tony wrote:
> Having the capability to go to 1500W in these situations may make the difference between working a "new one" and not working the "new one".

I used to be one of those "100 watts is plenty" guys -- licensed for 55
years now, I bought my first amp in 2004. Now I use it almost all the
time.  The main reason is RF noise on the other end.  I live in the
mountains with fairly low population density, so most of the time I have
a local noise level of less than S3 (on a calibrated K3 meter). It's
common for guys living in towns or cities to have an S7-9 noise level.
When I lived in Chicago my noise level was rarely below S7.

On a calibrated S-meter, the difference between S3 and S7 is 24dB. S3 to
S9 is 36dB.  The difference between 100W and 500W is 7db; 500W to 1.5kW
is another 4.7dB. So the short answer is that the 500W amp gives you a
one S-unit boost to get over the other guy's RF noise, and the 1.5kW amp
gives you two S-units.

Dollar cost of the power amp is only part of the equation.  As others
have noted, you'll need to run 240V into your shack to run most 1.5kW
amps effectively.  That costs money.  The power supplies for most 1.5kW
amps are big and HEAVY -- as we get older, it gets tougher to lift them
(or transport them), and it can get very expensive to ship them.  The
tubes used in most big power amps require a 3-minute warm-up, while most
500W solid state amps are instant-on.  I've missed more than a few DX
contacts in that 3-minute cycle.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

wayne burdick
[hidden email] wrote:

> The question of "how much power is enough?" is always good for a lot
> of chatter.

Indeed.

This thread is always entertaining to those (including myself) who
have completed DXCC with less than 5 watts and a random wire. Not that
I'm biased. It was a struggle, and there's definitely a time and place
for more power.

But occasionally I like to drop down to nearly nothing to remind
myself that, when the bands are really open, you *can* do it with a
lot less.

Eric doesn't talk about his own QRP accomplishments much, but he
worked over 100 countries on a NorCal 40 (one of my first designs)
running just a few watts. In fact that's how we first met; I think he
called me to (a) thank me for the design and (b) boast just a little
to someone who would appreciate it :)

Wayne
N6KR

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

k6dgw
On 1/25/2011 8:21 AM, John Ragle wrote:
> 1 S-unit is about 6 dB.

Agreed.  500W to 1500W [legal max in US] is 4.7712 dB, or 0.7952
S-units.  I'd bet my paycheck, if I still got one, that being in the
right place and time in the pileup and/or a better antenna will make way
more difference snagging the DX than being 0.7952 S-units stronger.
Many countries have lower limits ... 400W in G, VK, and ZL, I think, and
there are a lot those folks on this list with E-radios.  My 1500W amp,
which I normally run at about 600W to keep peace with the TV when the
beam is pointed at the house, will depart as soon as I have my KPA500.

> There is a connection between this attitude and the impulse to
> communicate by voice methods, even to the resurgence of interest in
> broadcast quality AM transmission.

I believe this stems from the "If I shout into my cell phone, the other
guy [and everyone around me] will hear me better" theory.

73,

Fred K6DGW [only 57 years]
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

W0FK
In a pileup, you want to work the target station. Everone is bunched up over the listening range of the DX station, which is sometimes one frequency plus or minus a fraction of a KHz. In that situation, you want to get the contact and regard for others in the pileup plays little role.

Most hams will put up the best antenna they can. After that, the limiting factors are (1) propogation (it is what it is when you are hearing the target and want to try and work it), (2) operating skill (something to acquire and constantly improve), (3) luck (truly being in the right place at the right time) and (4) signal strength on the receiving end (in that situation, every watt counts to some extent).

Sometimes, barefoot does it. Othertimes, a KW doesn't. A good analogy is entering a knife fight with your bare hands. You might win, but then again....

I'll take the availability of legal limit any day when I head into a pileup.

Lou, W0FK

John Ragle wrote
My reaction to your question is "who cares?" Your response indicates
your lack of regard for the others who must share spectrum space with you.

=====

On 1/25/2011 11:59 AM, briana wrote:
> John,
>
> Fine in theory.  Now tell me the power level I need to crack any given
> pileup in a reasonable amount of time and I'll use it.

St. Louis, MO

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that
genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

Jim Rogers, W4ATK
The QRPer's mantra, "Skill not power"

73s Jim, W4ATK
On Jan 25, 2011, at 12:47 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> The question of "how much power is enough?" is always good for a lot
>> of chatter.
>
> Indeed.
>
> This thread is always entertaining to those (including myself) who
> have completed DXCC with less than 5 watts and a random wire. Not that
> I'm biased. It was a struggle, and there's definitely a time and place
> for more power.
>
> But occasionally I like to drop down to nearly nothing to remind
> myself that, when the bands are really open, you *can* do it with a
> lot less.
>
> Eric doesn't talk about his own QRP accomplishments much, but he
> worked over 100 countries on a NorCal 40 (one of my first designs)
> running just a few watts. In fact that's how we first met; I think he
> called me to (a) thank me for the design and (b) boast just a little
> to someone who would appreciate it :)
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

JIM ROGERS, W4ATK
[hidden email]
http://web.me.com/jimrogers_w4atk
K3/100 P3
K2/10

Re: KPA500 - just 500 watts?

Lu Romero - W4LT
John, what follows is "The W4LT Big-Time Radio Corollary of
Contesting (or DX'ing):

---------
Antenna
Brains