KPA500 not reading Band Data

w0uo
Elecrafters:

I just installed a "Y" cable from my K-3 to an Array Solutions DBS-1 band
decoder and my KPA 500.  The band decoder follows the K-3 perfectly, but the
K-3 doesn't read band data.  It does tell the K-3 when it is on standby and
operate and the K-3 sets the power level accordingly.  From this I assume
that it is not reading the four band data pins (when powered up it reads 5.3
MHz, all logic zeroes, and does not change until it senses RF).

Has anyone had the same or similar problem and found a solution?

Jim Spaulding W0UO

[hidden email]

817 448 8024 (home)

817 713 9928 (cell)

Re: KPA500 not reading Band Data

Don Wilhelm-4
You may be looking at it backwards - the K3 is always the source for the
band data.  The K3 tells everything else what band it is on and expects
all others to react accordingly.  The band buttons on the KPA500 will
change the K3 band if the ACC cable is connected properly.  Your "Y"
cable may be creating a situation that needs to be addressed.  I do not
know the details.  The solutions got more complex when the K3 was forced
to add pullup resistors to the band data lines because many customers
did not know how to handle open drain outputs - with the KPA500
introduced to the mix, the situation of multiple devices listening to
the band data signals becomes more complex.

BTW - there are no dashes (or spaces) in Elecraft model numbers - it is
the "K3" rather than the "K-3" and "KPA500 instead of "KPA 500" - there
are 2 mini-modules that violate that convention, the N-Gen and the
2T-Gen -- all other models have no dashes.

On 7/13/2012 8:20 PM, w0uo wrote:

> Elecrafters:
>

> I just installed a "Y" cable from my K-3 to an Array Solutions DBS-1 band
> decoder and my KPA 500.  The band decoder follows the K-3 perfectly, but the
> K-3 doesn't read band data.  It does tell the K-3 when it is on standby and
> operate and the K-3 sets the power level accordingly.  From this I assume
> that it is not reading the four band data pins (when powered up it reads 5.3
> MHz, all logic zeroes, and does not change until it senses RF).
>

> Has anyone had the same or similar problem and found a solution?
>

> Jim Spaulding W0UO
>
> [hidden email]
>
> 817 448 8024 (home)
>
> 817 713 9928 (cell)

Re: KPA500 not reading Band Data

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM, w0uo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Elecrafters:
>

> I just installed a "Y" cable from my K-3 to an Array Solutions DBS-1 band
> decoder and my KPA 500.  The band decoder follows the K-3 perfectly, but the
> K-3 doesn't read band data.  It does tell the K-3 when it is on standby and
> operate and the K-3 sets the power level accordingly.  From this I assume
> that it is not reading the four band data pins (when powered up it reads 5.3
> MHz, all logic zeroes, and does not change until it senses RF).

If you unplug the band decoder from the Y-cable (but leave the KPA500
connected to the other "leg"), does the KPA500 work as expected?

73,

    ~iain / N6ML