KPA500 on 240 VAC in the USA?

ke9uw
Anybody using 240 VAC in the US? So it uses the same connector on the amp, but you have to fit a different plug to mate with your 240VAC/20A wall socket? Looks like this -! ...only without the dot.
Or better still, any droop using the 120VAC option? About 10 amps I guess.
Chuck, KE9UW
Chuck, KE9UW

Re: KPA500 on 240 VAC in the USA?

Roy Morris-6
I am using a separate 220v cable with a 15 amp plug.  This cable can be
purchased from Datacomm Cables, Inc.  It is NEMA 6-15P to IEC320 C13 -
5A  - 6 Feet.  This is a 14 gauge 3 wire SJT jacket black cable.  Cost is
$18.25 shipped.  This is a molded cable on both ends and works well with my
KPA500.  I can easily replace the 6 amp fuses with the 12 amp fuses, turn
over the fuse block, install the 115v cable.  I am then ready for 115v
operation.  I like this flexibility without having to open the amp to make
this change.
I have no connection whatsoever with Datacomm Cables, Inc. other than being
a satisfied customer.  Roy Morris  W4WFB

Re: KPA500 on 240 VAC in the USA?

Chuck,

The "do-it-yourself" solution is to purchase a plug that matches your
socket, cut off the 115 volt plug and install the 230 volt plug.  Those
plugs are available at DIY and hardware stores as well as at electrical
supply centers.

On 7/28/2011 5:39 PM, ke9uw wrote:
> Anybody using 240 VAC in the US? So it uses the same connector on the amp,
> but you have to fit a different plug to mate with your 240VAC/20A wall
> socket? Looks like this -! ...only without the dot.
> Or better still, any droop using the 120VAC option? About 10 amps I guess.
> Chuck, KE9UW

Re: KPA500 on 240 VAC in the USA?

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: KPA500 on 240 VAC in the USA?

Jim Brown-10
On 7/28/2011 2:39 PM, ke9uw wrote:
> Anybody using 240 VAC in the US? So it uses the same connector on the amp,
> but you have to fit a different plug to mate with your 240VAC/20A wall
> socket? Looks like this -! ...only without the dot.
> Or better still, any droop using the 120VAC option?

I have 240VAC in the shack to run my legal limit Ten Tec amps, but I've
never taken the trouble to add another outlet so I could use it for my
KPA500.  I'm running on a 120V/20A circuit that' probably about 50 ft of
wire from the panel.  I get 550W out on 6M and 675W on the HF bands. If
the match were better on 6M I might get a bit more.

If you already have 240V in the shack, all it takes to try it is to buy
a new standard IEC line cord (but buy a #14 -- most standard IEC cords
are #18) and stick a male plug on it that matches your 240V outlet.  If
you don't have 240V in the shack, I wouldn't worry about it. And there
are instructions in the manual about how to change transformer taps if
you need to for full power.

FWIW, I don't think Ron's 60 ft of #14 is anywhere near worst case. In
many houses you can have 100-200 ft between the panel and an outlet,
often with multiple outlets daisy-chained, and with shared neutrals.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: KPA500 on 240 VAC in the USA?

ny9h@arrl.net
I had 220 available so i started out with
110 and when confirmedall.was well i chopped off the pl ug from a heavy iec cord set and swiped the 220 plug from my TT hercules..

Wow this box is tiny....

Bill/ 3i

Sent from myTouch 4G

The "do-it-yourself" solution is to purchase a plug that matches your
socket, cut off the 115 volt plug and install the 230 volt plug.  Those
plugs are available at DIY and hardware stores as well as at electrical
supply centers.

On 7/28/2011 5:39 PM, ke9uw wrote:
> Anybody using 240 VAC in the US? So it uses the same connector on the amp,
> but you have to fit a different plug to mate with your 240VAC/20A wall
> socket? Looks like this -! ...only without the dot.
> Or better still, any droop using the 120VAC option? About 10 amps I guess.
> Chuck, KE9UW

Re: KPA500 on 240 VAC in the USA?

Edward R Cole
I use top run 600w with my 2m-8877 running on a HV PS that ran on
120vac.  As I recall voltage drop was about 5vac, but my house is
wired with 12ga wiring.  When I switched to a bigger PS that could
provide enough to run 1.5kW on the 8877 I ran 240vac to the shack
using about 35 foot of 8-4 wiring (3-8ga plus safety ground).  I
decided on using twist-lock receptacles and plugs.  All the material
was bought at Home Depot.

I am now in process of wiring in a transfer switch at my meter to
permanently connect my 6500w Honda standby generator.  The generator
takes a four-prong twist lock plug.

BTW my line runs 244vac unloaded and 242vac when key-down with 1400w
CW.  I added two 120vac circuits to run some other power supplies
from the new 240v power feed (I installed a 40A load box in the shack
with one 240v-20A and two 120v-20A breakers).  Now I wil have to add
another 240v outlet to run a 50v-50A switching PS for my 1100w 6m PA.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: KPA500 on 240 VAC in the USA?

AB3EN
I run my KPA500 on 240V and did the cut and replace plug job. The amp works great and the plug is 3 feet from the breaker panel. The only concern I had was having the female end the same as the 120V type cords. I wrapped red tape aroung the power cord on the female side to warn stupid people like me that the voltage was changed on the male side. The amp is a real piece of art! I love it.  Great job Elecraft!!

Dan AB3EN