KPA500 question

Joe K2UF
When the tuner comes out will it be internal to the KPA500 or will it be an
outboard unit like the P3?  I am getting ready to order a KPA500 and want to
know if I should wait. If the tuner is inside the KPA case I will wait and
order it all at once but if it is an outboard unit then it makes no
difference when I order the amp.

Joe K2UF

No trees were harmed in the sending of this e-mail; however, many electrons
were inconvenienced.

Re: KPA500 question

KK7P
The KAT500 is external to the KPA500.  It will have the same footprint
as the KPA500 and K3, but is very low profile and will sit nicely on top
of either unit.

73,

Lyle KK7P

> When the tuner comes out will it be internal to the KPA500 or will it be an
> outboard unit...

Re: KPA500 question

Bruce Beford-2
This is the first semi-official news we have received on the KAT500 in some
time. Originally, I believe a design target was the same size as the P3, not
the K3 or KPA500. I wonder if the new case dimensions actually contain a
larger volume than the P3 box? A low-profile design with the same footprint
as the K3 will still integrate nicely.

Given that the feedlines will come from the KAT500, and given that the
KPA500 is "top-cooled" wouldn't it seem that more likely the KPA500 would
sit -under- the KPA500? The mass of the amp would keep it from being pulled
around by the feedlines. Hmm. Maybe the case would need extra structural
support for the weight of the KPA500, though. Hmmm, just daydreaming here...

One (previously announced) very interesting option will be for those K3
users with a sub receiver- the ability to have the second non-tuned antenna
pass through to the sub RX aux input to support diversity reception. I
imagine that the amount of hardware/shielding needed for the required
isolation between the active TX port (at 500W+) and the RX port may have
added to the volume required to house it all.

Thanks for the morsel, Lyle.

73,
Bruce, N1RX