KPA500

Martin Staffa
Does anybody know the cost of this unit? Not that it will matter Hi N1KGP
Martin

Re: KPA500

Jim Rhodes-2
Last  I saw about $2k for the kit if I remember correctly

Jim K0XU
Sent from my Droid X
On Apr 1, 2011 8:21 PM, "Martin Staffa" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anybody know the cost of this unit? Not that it will matter Hi N1KGP
> Martin

Re: KPA500

AB3LS
Well for myself anyway, I wouldn't say that the price of the thing
wouldn't matter. It seems to me anyway that $2K seems a bit high. I'm
imaging that most of the discussion on price so far has been
speculation.

I'm in the process of getting my feet wet with Elecraft. I'm hoping to
have a K3 with a P3 up and running by the end of May. Since I'm
setting up my first shack, I'm not diving into the pool of kickers
just yet. However, I'm leaving room in my antenna plans, etc. for an
amplifier down the road. I've figured that picturing a ~500W would be
pretty spot on. I don't want to start getting close to a kW since the
extra power starts to bring unwanted consequences.

The KPA500 is news to me as of tonight. I'm glad to see that Elecraft
is really widening their RF product line to include this kind of
stuff. I can definitely say that I'll be keeping an eye out for the
KPA500 in the future be because it's a perfect match for the K3.

Can't wait for the details!

Geoffrey Wolf
University of Pittsburgh '14
AB3LS - Amateur radio call sign
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
(717)319-1396

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 1, 2011, at 9:21 PM, Martin Staffa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anybody know the cost of this unit? Not that it will matter Hi N1KGP
> Martin

Geoffrey Wolf
AB3LS
University of Pittsburgh '14
grw20@pitt.edu
liltechdude13@gmail.com
http://www.ab3ls.com

Re: KPA500

Gary Gregory
*Geoff,*
*
*
***When you look at the THP products you will see quality inside. The
KPA-500 is an extremely good design with excellent specs and if you use an
amplifier you want it to be clean, robust and simple to use...the KPA-500
meets all the above.*
*
*
*Now if you look at the Ameritron product you will notice the quality of the
design/build IS lacking and is priced accordingly.*
*
*
*I have had many amplifiers including solid state units and I can tell you I
have done everything to break the one I have for field test and it has
performed flawlessly.*
*
*
*I don't have shares in Elecraft but I am a convert to their products after
many years of throwing my money away on equipment that needed upgrading to
meet my requirements and that always entailed buying a new model.*
*
*
*Whatever decision you make, try before you buy because nobody wants to pay
top dollar for an average amplifier on the used market.*
*
*
*YMMV*
*
*
*73's*
*Gary
*

On 2 April 2011 19:10, Geoff Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well for myself anyway, I wouldn't say that the price of the thing
> wouldn't matter. It seems to me anyway that $2K seems a bit high. I'm
> imaging that most of the discussion on price so far has been
> speculation.
>
> I'm in the process of getting my feet wet with Elecraft. I'm hoping to
> have a K3 with a P3 up and running by the end of May. Since I'm
> setting up my first shack, I'm not diving into the pool of kickers
> just yet. However, I'm leaving room in my antenna plans, etc. for an
> amplifier down the road. I've figured that picturing a ~500W would be
> pretty spot on. I don't want to start getting close to a kW since the
> extra power starts to bring unwanted consequences.
>
> The KPA500 is news to me as of tonight. I'm glad to see that Elecraft
> is really widening their RF product line to include this kind of
> stuff. I can definitely say that I'll be keeping an eye out for the
> KPA500 in the future be because it's a perfect match for the K3.
>
> Can't wait for the details!
>
> Geoffrey Wolf
> University of Pittsburgh '14
> AB3LS - Amateur radio call sign
> [hidden email]
> [hidden email]
> [hidden email]
> (717)319-1396
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 1, 2011, at 9:21 PM, Martin Staffa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know the cost of this unit? Not that it will matter Hi N1KGP
> > Martin
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

*VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!*

Re: KPA500

Thomas Horsten
Hi Gary,

On 2 April 2011 12:47, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *Geoff,*
> *
> *
> ***When you look at the THP products you will see quality inside. The
> KPA-500 is an extremely good design with excellent specs and if you use an
> amplifier you want it to be clean, robust and simple to use...the KPA-500
> meets all the above.*

What's the deal with the "*"'s in your messages, it makes them very hard to
read! Is it some feature I've overlooked or am I viewing it in the wrong
format?

73, Thomas
2E0ETT