KPA500

Robert S. McCuskey-2
I just received my KPA500 (s/n 376)  and am very pleased with it.   What is
the power limitation, if any, for operating the KPA500 on RTTY?  I gather
from the specs that perhaps it is 500 w as long as the duty cycle does not
exceed 10 minutes operate/ 5 minutes standby.  Is this correct?

Bob  W7BV

Re: KPA500

Jim Brown-10
On 9/5/2011 2:17 PM, Robert S. McCuskey wrote:
> What is
> the power limitation, if any, for operating the KPA500 on RTTY?

I run my KPA500 with all the lights lit on RTTY in contests, and with
FSK441,  ISCAT, and JT65 on VHF and HF.  This gives me 540W out on 6M
and 650-675W on the HF bands.  It gets hot enough that the fan speeds up
at the end of a 30 sec FSK transmission, but I rarely see that on HF
with RTTY.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: KPA500

KK7P
Yes, 500 watts PEP regardless of mode.  This is thus 500W RTTY/FM/CW
(key down :-) etc.

If the amplifier gets too hot, it will let you know in a safe,
non-spectacular way.

73,

Lyle KK7P

> I just received my KPA500 (s/n 376)  and am very pleased with it.   What is
> the power limitation, if any, for operating the KPA500 on RTTY?  I gather
> from the specs that perhaps it is 500 w as long as the duty cycle does not
> exceed 10 minutes operate/ 5 minutes standby.  Is this correct?

Re: KPA500

Bruce Beford-2
> If the amplifier gets too hot, it will let you know in a safe,
> non-spectacular way.

How boring. 8-)

My KPA500 has been remarkably quiet and has never done anything spectacular.
Except of course, play in a very well-behaved manner with my K3. It slumbers
there until I need it, and then it instantly delivers. It has performed
exactly to my expectations- which were quite high.

73,
Bruce N1RX

Re: KPA500

Gary Gregory
Now all we need is an add-on RF board....Grin

I assume this will happen as I have tried to get spectacular results but so
far it is flawless despite my failing memory at times...:-)

Of course we may put on a little weight as Elecraft have made operating the
K3-KPA a 'lazy mans' dream.

Gary

On 6 September 2011 07:51, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gone are the days when we could judge proper duty cycle and power output by
> the red or yellow glow of the final amplifier tube plates.
>
> And of course one always had spares because there was no fancy automatic
> monitoring system to intervene if we overdid it.
>
> First technology hid the plates behind ceramic, then did away with them
> altogether in amps like the KPA500.
>
> How boring is right, Hi!
>
> Ron AC7AC

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: KPA500

k6dgw
That removes some of the fun of radio!

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

On 9/5/2011 2:34 PM, Lyle Johnson wrote:

> If the amplifier gets too hot, it will let you know in a safe,
> non-spectacular way.

Re: KPA500

Guy, K2AV
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Bruce Beford
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> > If the amplifier gets too hot, it will let you know in a safe,
> > non-spectacular way.
>
> How boring. 8-)

Indeed boring.  MUCH more interesting:

Exploding electrolytic capacitors.

3-1000Z meltdown and implosion.

3-500Z melting solder off the pins.

Wirewound resistors burning up and leaving a burning carbon track.

Plate transformer so hot it sets paint on fire.

Bandswitch with a half a dozen totally burned contacts

Plate choke with about half the wire evaporated.

Now that's entertainment.

73, Guy

Re: KPA500

Gary Gregory
Boring?......how about an Ole Drake L4B and you are enjoying a nice QSO when
the power supply Carbon Resistor decides it don't want to play the game
anymore...after my "Out Of Body Experience" I departed the room post
haste....needless to say my darling wife (VK4JLG) was seen rolling around
the ground outside crackin' up....sometimes there is NO justice or
compassion in this world by those who profess to love us dearly...Grin

I though SEAL Team 6 had attacked my shack.......

Dang!

Gary

On 6 September 2011 09:14, Guy Olinger K2AV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Bruce Beford
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > > If the amplifier gets too hot, it will let you know in a safe,
> > > non-spectacular way.
> >
> > How boring. 8-)
> >

> Indeed boring.  MUCH more interesting:
>
> Exploding electrolytic capacitors.
>
> 3-1000Z meltdown and implosion.
>
> 3-500Z melting solder off the pins.
>
> Wirewound resistors burning up and leaving a burning carbon track.
>
> Plate transformer so hot it sets paint on fire.
>
> Bandswitch with a half a dozen totally burned contacts
>
> Plate choke with about half the wire evaporated.
>

> Now that's entertainment.
>

> 73, Guy

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: KPA500

How about the excitement of drawing an arc off the plate caps of the PA
tubes with a pencil (keep your fingers on the wood).  That used to be
part of the excitement of ham radio.  Lots of these exciting things have
been lost due to the advent of solid state devices and operating
convenience.

Nostalgia is wonderful - I have to just look at the array of boat
anchors featured in the tailgate section at hamfests.  There is a lot of
gear that I drooled over when I was a youngster who could not afford an
HRO50  or an SX-100 or an NC-300.  I see these receivers and think back
to that time when I wanted one, but I resist the temptation, the new
solid state gear has much better specs and reviews, and I know that I
would not want to indulge in a restoration project for that boat-anchor
gear no matter how strong the nostalgia may be - so I just enjoy the
looking and resist the drooling.

You are allowed to differ, but I am sufficiently occupied with repairs
of Elecraft gear and other personal projects, and do not have spare time
to restore antique gear - others may have different perspectives.

On 9/5/2011 7:14 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Bruce Beford
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>>> If the amplifier gets too hot, it will let you know in a safe,
>>> non-spectacular way.
>> How boring. 8-)
>>
> Indeed boring.  MUCH more interesting:
>
> Exploding electrolytic capacitors.
>
> 3-1000Z meltdown and implosion.
>
> 3-500Z melting solder off the pins.
>
> Wirewound resistors burning up and leaving a burning carbon track.
>
> Plate transformer so hot it sets paint on fire.
>
> Bandswitch with a half a dozen totally burned contacts
>
> Plate choke with about half the wire evaporated.
>

> Now that's entertainment.
>

> 73, Guy

Re: KPA500

dj7mgq
 > Now that's entertainment.

Also fun is: Applying HV to a kilowatt class amp for 70cm on a cool,
misty, damp, dewy morning after sleeping in a trailer together with all
of the equipment.

The result is one very big and very loud bang.

vy 73 de toby, DD5FZ

Old Gear was Re: KPA500

Grant Youngman

>  I see these receivers and think back
> to that time when I wanted one, but I resist the temptation, the new
> solid state gear has much better specs and reviews,

Old gear is about ... well ... old gear, and love for it. It has nothing to do with specs. Restoration is literally an act of love ... at my age you'll go for anything you can get ;-). Would I rather SWL with a K3 or an SX-28?  K3 loses period.

I have yet to hear anything (at least ssb, cw) on my K3 that I can't copy with an NC-303 with a bit of effort, and copy, with smoother and more pleasing audio (than the K3 frankly) on an SX-115. Not that I'd part with my K3 ...  OR the SX-115 ...

I'm waiting for the K3PP6V6 audio output option. ;-)

Grant/ NQ5T

Re: Old Gear was Re: KPA500

Kurt Cramer-2

Thats GREAT! My R4s a,b,c all sound better on SSB then my K2! But I love my K2.
Kurt, W7QHD

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 19:27:48 -0500
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] Old Gear was Re:  KPA500
>

> >  I see these receivers and think back
> > to that time when I wanted one, but I resist the temptation, the new
> > solid state gear has much better specs and reviews,
>
> Old gear is about ... well ... old gear, and love for it. It has nothing to do with specs. Restoration is literally an act of love ... at my age you'll go for anything you can get ;-). Would I rather SWL with a K3 or an SX-28?  K3 loses period.
>
> I have yet to hear anything (at least ssb, cw) on my K3 that I can't copy with an NC-303 with a bit of effort, and copy, with smoother and more pleasing audio (than the K3 frankly) on an SX-115. Not that I'd part with my K3 ...  OR the SX-115 ...
>
> I'm waiting for the K3PP6V6 audio output option. ;-)
>
> Grant/ NQ5T

Mel

Re: Old Gear was Re: KPA500

Mel
There is, a portion of the brain, that gets satisfaction by enjoying and reliving a distant past memory.  For my part, it is getting into AM again with fever.  Yes, the newer K3 gear takes the center position in the ham/computer room.  However, down in the winecellar, lurks a Bauer 707 with is companions the  HRO 50 and a NC183 with, of course, appropriate full range speakers.  Now, there is where the smooth AM sounds are found.  Cherish them, they are what dreams are made of.......

Never outdate and discard the past memories.

Mel, K6KBE

________________________________
Thats GREAT! My R4s a,b,c all sound better on SSB then my K2! But I love my K2.
Kurt, W7QHD

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 19:27:48 -0500
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] Old Gear was Re:  KPA500
>

> >  I see these receivers and think back
> > to that time when I wanted one, but I resist the temptation, the new
> > solid state gear has much better specs and reviews,
>
> Old gear is about ... well ... old gear, and love for it. It has nothing to do with specs. Restoration is literally an act of love ... at my age you'll go for anything you can get ;-). Would I rather SWL with a K3 or an SX-28?  K3 loses period.
>
> I have yet to hear anything (at least ssb, cw) on my K3 that I can't copy with an NC-303 with a bit of effort, and copy, with smoother and more pleasing audio (than the K3 frankly) on an SX-115. Not that I'd part with my K3 ...  OR the SX-115 ...
>
> I'm waiting for the K3PP6V6 audio output option. ;-)
>
> Grant/ NQ5T

         Â Â Â     Â Â Â

Re: KPA500

Robert Friess
Yep, some of the old stuff was the subject of dreams of the teenage ham.  I
will never give up my Collins 75A4.

Bob

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> About 10 years ago I collected all the parts for a 100 watt tube amp
> running
> a pair of 807's. I was planning to drive it with my K2, which back then ran
> 10 watts output. Then Elecraft released the KPA100 and I, to, was seduced
> by
> the "dark side" (literally!)
>
> Still have the parts. Still occasionally fantasize about a glowbug rig, but
> not enough motivation or time.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Re: KPA500

Ron,

I have a pair of 6146 tubes that suffered the same aspirations and destiny.
I now am working on a WA6EBY amplifier to augment my QRP rigs - it runs
on 24 volts, much safer than fooling with a 750 volt supply., and will
work fine for mobile with a 12 volt input.  Besides that, transformers
for that 750 volt power supply are not easy to come by these days, no
more junk TV transformers easily obtainable.  I have a couple of those
in my junkbox, but realistically, they will never see the light of an
operational day.

On 9/5/2011 9:10 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> About 10 years ago I collected all the parts for a 100 watt tube amp running
> a pair of 807's. I was planning to drive it with my K2, which back then ran
> 10 watts output. Then Elecraft released the KPA100 and I, to, was seduced by
> the "dark side" (literally!)
>
> Still have the parts. Still occasionally fantasize about a glowbug rig, but
> not enough motivation or time.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Re: KPA500

Tony Estep
On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV <[hidden email]>wrote:

> ....Exploding electrolytic capacitors.
>
> 3-1000Z meltdown and implosion....

Re: KPA500

Jim Wiley-2

Not to mention the time one of the diodes in my Drake L-4B amplifier
power supply decided to let go under load  - -  sounded like someone had
let loose a 12-gauge under the operating desk.  We're talking LOUD!

Or the time one of the (tube) finals in a  Drake T-4XC  went South - I
was on 20 CW at the time.  One heck of a light show from the back of the
rig, but the thing was still making power, so I sent a string of AS AS
AS until it finished cratering and blew the fuse in the PS-4.  Then
switched to a backup rig and finished the QSO.

Them were the days.

- Jim, KL7CC

Tony Estep wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> ....Exploding electrolytic capacitors.
>>
>> 3-1000Z meltdown and implosion....
>>
>> ================
>>
> Not to mention the parasitic choke gadgets attached to the plate caps
> suddenly going off like grenades....
>
> Tony KT0NY

Re: Old Gear was Re: KPA500

Jeff Cochrane - VK4XA
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Old Gear was Re: KPA500

Gary Gregory
Jack Benny?.....gee I remember that.....an I'm only nearing old as
dirt....Grin

Gary

On 6 September 2011 13:34, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I find saddest is that I can't fire up my S-40 and swing down into the
> broadcast band to catch a Jack Benny program or an next episode of "The
> Green Hornet"...
>
> So I passed it onto a younger fellow who doesn't remember those programs.
>
> 73,
> Ron AC7AC

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: Old Gear was Re: KPA500

John Ragle
To the rest of the DOF network...my granddaughter just asked me what
sort of GameBoy I had when I was a kid...

I had to tell her that I was a pre-TV type. I was 17 before I ever saw a
TV set, and at least 18 before I saw a PICTURE on a TV set. S-40 and
SX-28 are good memories. My first commercial TX was an HT-17. 807, 829B,
813, 866...all good examples from the numerology of the 1940's. I too
grit my teeth and pass by all those wonderful oldies on eBay. When I
recently stopped off in front of an SX-43 at a local ham fest and
remarked on having owned one, the seller asked "how much did it cost you
to restore it?" I told him I bought mine new and carried it and its
speaker in my arms a mile and a half from the store to home, on December
26, 1947. Those were spectacular sunspot years, and I remember listening
to a Philadelphia FM broadcast station from home, which was Fairbanks,
Alaska.

Sic Transit Gloria Monday (it is actually Tuesday @0230)

John Ragle -- W1ZI (once KL7PM)