KSB2 Install Question

Carl-N8VZ

This weekend I put together the SSB Board -- although I have a few hours of work left on the main K2 kit.  I wanted to make sure that I had SSB ready to go when the K2 is finished.  When I finished the SSB board and looked at the installation instructions, it had a rather weird sentence or two saying that if the filter crystals X7-X11 were ground on the left side that this would interfere with the SSB module installation.  Well, when I construct the RF board the instructions clearly said to ground the aforementioned crystals on both left and right side.  Furthermore, I did a test mounting of the SSB board and discovered that the left side grounds for the crystal covers do not seem to make any kind of physical contact with the SSB board.  My question is is this perhaps a case of my KSB2 instructions being written (2 May 00) before those from my main kit (22 Oct 02).  Perhaps, a modification was made in the RF board which makes these KSB2 instructions null and void.  It's either that, or poor instructions in the general kit manual.  And, we all know Elecraft wouldn't do that! :-)

Any clarification here would be appreciated!

Oh yes, for the record, I have SN 03116

73

Carl
N8VZ
--
Carl J. Denbow, [hidden email] on 5/9/2004

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: KSB2 Install Question

johnny-52
You can download the latest version of KSB2 construction manual from the
official website of elecraft.  The grounding of X7 to X11 should be on both
sides (narrow sides) of the Xtal.

73

Johnny Siu VR2XMC
s/n 1146, 3837, 4165, 4255

Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: KSB2 Install Question

Carl,

Yes, that statement goes back a long way - when the base K2 crystal cases
were grounded by wires soldered at the top - if the grounded wires were
placed on the left side of the crystals, they could physically interfere
with the KSB2 board.  But we are now grounding the crystals low on both
sides of the crystal case, so if your 'low' is low enough to be below the
level of the installed KSB2 board, there is no problem.

I believe that statement has disappeared (or at least has conditioning
words) in the latest version of the KSB2 instructions.

Life is what happens when you are making other plans