KSB2 problem status: befuddled

Neal Campbell and Sarah Ferrell
Hi Don and all,

I have spent the afternoon looking for where I could have made a
mistake on the 40m LPF circuit. I didn't find any obvious ones, the
toroids came from 'The guy de Toroids' but I counted them all anyway,
and they are (luckily!) correct. Same for capacitors. Did the run of
voltage checks and didn't notice anything really wrong.

On cw, cranking the output knob to the max, the display readings for
current are
80 3.22
40 3.36
30 2.84
20 2.38
17 3.08
15 2.84
12 2.62
10 2.42

Output reads over 15 watts in all cases, usually abt 15.2. This reads
pretty much the same with or without the SSB module installed.

I take it from your comments that the fact that 40m is the highest cw
reading, its indicative of something wrong. Looked at LPF and BPF
areas. What should I expect on the amp readings, 2.35 on 40 and a
gradual increase as I go towards 10m?

I could reinstall the resistors and jumper and take out the noise
blanker module as thats something put in yesterday, I take it that I
need to do that if I want to test without it?

I have boosted cal cur to 4.0 and still can get hi cur signal with
output fully counterclockwise on both usb and lsb. I have been very
happy working cw all week as it is (set the cal cur to 3.5 and it
hasn't tripped yet).

Any more ideas to look at?

RE: KSB2 problem status: befuddled

Don Wilhelm-3
Neal,

There may be nothing wrong with 40 meters after all - I had missed the point
that you were setting the Power control to absolute max.  What is your power
supply voltage?  13.8 volts is typical (13.6 on the display), and lower
power supply voltages will result in increased current draw.  What is the
voltage when you are seeing a current of 3 amps or greater?

I don't have a straightforward answer here.  Can it be that your Carrier
Balance is not correctly set and you are really generating more RF drive
with SSB than with CW?

It is not really a fair comparison to compare current draw from band to band
with the Power control set all the way clockwise.  Set it to 10 watts and
check the current drawn for each band and both CW and SSB modes.
Actually SSB mode should draw little current without audio if the carrier is
balanced because there should be little or no RF output.

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Your current readings don't look out of hand to me! 40 is normally higher
because that is the band that usually produces the greatest RF output. Your
readings are consistent with my K2.

Interesting that you say the "output reads over 15 watts in all cases,..".
Few K2's make 15 watts on 10. Many are capable just over 10. When they do
produce more power they draw more current.  The current is proportional to
the actual power output. The maximum power output varies according to the
overall RF gain available in the transmitter strip and that tends to be
highest in the 7-10 MHz range. So in that range the current draw is the
highest too.

Your current draw on 10 meters is consistent with an output of just about 10
watts output "wide open".

I don't see how that's connected to your overcurrent with  the SSB module
plugged in, but it's an anomaly.

Have you confirmed that your K2 internal current sensor is accurate by
putting an ammeter in the lead from the external power supply?

If it's okay, then there's little else but for your SSB module itself to be
making up the extra current draw. Something on that module is drawing more
current than it should.

Ron AC7AC

[...]

Hi all,

Thanks for giving some ideas!

I checked the resistors on the bottom of the ssb board, they are all
correct. I must say that trying to identify parts on the top of the
board is a real challenge, its so stuffed that its almost impossible!

Don, I redid the output  amperage at 10 watts:
80 - 2.68
40 - 2.72
30 - 2.28
20 - 1.96
17 - 2.42
15 - 2.50
12 - 2.24
10 - 2.16

At 10 watts on 40, the voltage on rx is 13.5 on tx its 12.9.

The group is right, I did not notice the power output on lower than 17m
(which is 15 watts). On 15 through 10, highest output is 13.3 watts.

Do I still need to investigate the 40m current usage?

Do I need to replace the 3 resistors and jumper that I pulled out to
eliminate the noise blanker module from the mix of things to
investigate? I should have done one module and waited to know it worked
before doing a second one!

Neal
On Feb 21, 2005, at 5:37 PM, W3FPR - Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Neal,
>
> There may be nothing wrong with 40 meters after all - I had missed the
> point
> that you were setting the Power control to absolute max.  What is your
> power
> supply voltage?  13.8 volts is typical (13.6 on the display), and lower
> power supply voltages will result in increased current draw.  What is
> the
> voltage when you are seeing a current of 3 amps or greater?
>
> I don't have a straightforward answer here.  Can it be that your
> Carrier
> Balance is not correctly set and you are really generating more RF
> drive
> with SSB than with CW?
>
> It is not really a fair comparison to compare current draw from band
> to band
> with the Power control set all the way clockwise.  Set it to 10 watts
> and
> check the current drawn for each band and both CW and SSB modes.
> Actually SSB mode should draw little current without audio if the
> carrier is
> balanced because there should be little or no RF output.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR

Taking things in reverse order - go ahead and put the Noise Blanker itself
back in rather than the 6 dB pad resistors. It will only affect the receive
path and not the Transmit path.

OK - your current draw at a constant 10 Watts output looks just fine to me.
It is a bit unusual that your minimum current draw for 10 watts out is at 20
meters - usually that will occur at 40 or 30 meters - but this does not look
like a real problem to me (actually it indicates better efficiency than
normal on the higher bands).

so now that still leaves us with the original problem of excessive current
draw in SSB mode.  Actually something is 'fishy' here, because an SSB signal
with no audio will result in very little output power (and quite low current
draw).  So my thinking now is that you do not have the SSB balance set
properly - or there is something incorrect on the KSB2 board.  I know it is
difficult to do, but do look again - particularly at the balanced modulator
and those things shown around it in the schematic.  It does now seem that
your problems are coming from the KSB2.  Just as a wild guess I must ask -
did you remove C167 from the RF board when installing the KSB2?  If you fail
to remove it, that alone could explain the conditions you are seeing.

Just an additional note - I usually adjust the SSB Carrier balance by
looking at the RF output (with no audio signal) with my 'scope - I adjust
the carrier balance for minimum power output (compromising if necessary
between USB and LSB).  You should find the proper point near the mid-point
setting of the carrier balance pot.  If it is not near the midpoint, look
for some component misplaced or improper soldering.

I think you just won the kupie doll!

I had inadvertantly checked off the instruction about removing C167
when I did the j11, 10 and 9 installation for finishing the K2. I am
sure I did not remove it. Will give it a go this afternoon and report
back!!!!!

Thanks!!!
Neal