KX-1 and J-38 hookup?

Gio

KX-1 and J-38 hookup?

Gio
Good Day All,

I'm attempting to connect my old J-38 to my newly-acquired KX-1
without success. Other than setting the input menu to hnd, is there
something else I should be doing? I'm using an old stereo cable with a
1/8 plug for the connection. When I plug it in, I get a continuous
tone *without* actually keying the handkey. Tnx.

~John KK4BOB

--
John Flynn
Tallahassee, Florida

Re: KX-1 and J-38 hookup?

Don Wilhelm-4
  John,

That sounds like you could have a shorted cable.  Unplug it from the KX1
and check between the tip and the shell with your ohmmeter.
You did say "old J38" - if it has been sitting around for a while, maybe
it has developed a short somewhere.

If you have the J-38 on its original base, did you connect the cable to
the rearmost terminals on the base, or did you connect the cable
directly to the terminals on the frame of the key.  You must connect to
the terminals on the frame of the key - the rearmmost terminals have a
shorting bar under them.

On 7/12/2011 1:25 PM, John Flynn wrote:

> Good Day All,
>
> I'm attempting to connect my old J-38 to my newly-acquired KX-1
> without success. Other than setting the input menu to hnd, is there
> something else I should be doing? I'm using an old stereo cable with a
> 1/8 plug for the connection. When I plug it in, I get a continuous
> tone *without* actually keying the handkey. Tnx.
>
> ~John KK4BOB

Re: KX-1 and J-38 hookup?

w1pns

And the shorting bar is disengaged? Wish I had a dime for every time I connected a key and got a solid tone, only to find the shorting bar was in contact (barely) with the base contact.

With best regards,

Pete
W1PNS

Gio

Re: KX-1 and J-38 hookup?

Gio
Thanks. Perhaps I misidentified the key. There's no shorting bar on
this one--just the two terminal posts.

~John

--
John Flynn
Tallahassee, Florida

Gio

Re: KX-1 and J-38 hookup?

Gio
OK, your comments helped me "figure" it out. What I have a is
three-conductor cable. By swapping the various wires around, I found
the two that worked. It ain't pretty, but.... :-)  Now to get the
two-conductor version.

73

~John KK4BOB

--