KX-1 buttons

Albers
Last night I was ready to try checking into ECN-20 with my KX-1 but couldn't get off 40 meters. The band pushbutton simply would not respond. (I did do an ohmmeter check just now, to verify that it is indeed a switch failure and not a bad solder joint!)

I haven't kept track, but if memory serves, this is about the third time I've had to replace a pushbutton switch - my KX-1 is serial number 608 and I built it in April 2004.

Has anyone had similar troubles? More importantly, anyone have suggestions on where I might get more dependable switches?  I have a circuit board in my junk box with a bunch of snap action switches that I think might fit the PCB holes, but I'd have to find a way to glue the blue button caps on, or rig some sort of substitute.

73
Ray K2HYD
KX-1  #  608

Re: KX-1 buttons

kevinr@coho.net
Hi Ray,
    I most likely would not have heard you.  Band was not happy during
ECN/20.
       73 and GL,
           Kevin.  KD5ONS

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 12:15:57 -0700, Albers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Last night I was ready to try checking into ECN-20 with my KX-1 but
> couldn't get off 40 meters. The band pushbutton simply would not
> respond. (I did do an ohmmeter check just now, to verify that it is
> indeed a switch failure and not a bad solder joint!)
>
> I haven't kept track, but if memory serves, this is about the third time
> I've had to replace a pushbutton switch - my KX-1 is serial number 608
> and I built it in April 2004.
>
> Has anyone had similar troubles? More importantly, anyone have
> suggestions on where I might get more dependable switches?  I have a
> circuit board in my junk box with a bunch of snap action switches that I
> think might fit the PCB holes, but I'd have to find a way to glue the
> blue button caps on, or rig some sort of substitute.
>
> 73
> Ray K2HYD
> KX-1  #  608

Re: KX-1 buttons

  Ray,

It is unusual that you have had multiple pushbutton failures.  I repair
a lot of KX1s and have never seen a pushbutton failure on my bench.  I
would think if the switches were not reliable, I would have seen at
least one failure.  Is it possible that you did not mount the switch
body tight against the board?  I could believe that a mechanical failure
could occur due to flexing of the leads if the switch were supported by
its leads rather than the board.