KX1 1000 miles per watt

Alan Dewey
  Last evening I was in my backyard on 40m with my KX1 that I just built 12
days ago.  I was using a car battery so I had 3.1 watt output.  Had a lots
of trouble making a contact.
I thought maybe I had gotten water in the coax of my temporary
post-hurricane 18 ft high
inverted vee in the back yard.  Or, maybe all US hams were watching the
presidential debates.
I had a brief contact with KI4CKT in Kentucky (probably 700 miles) and
received a 449 report.

A llittle more tuning around and I came across RV6YZ/6. He was 589 here in
southeast Florida.
At 01:30z, after I put in about a dozen calls, operator Al gave me a 459
report.   !  !  !
I probably deserved a 339 as it took many tries for him to confirm my
callsign.

I do not know where RV6 is, but I figure it is at least 2000 miles per watt.

Where / how do I apply ?

73 de WB9JTK in Delray Beach, Florida

Re: KX1 1000 miles per watt

Steve, G4GXL
> Where / how do I apply ?

Congratulations !
For award details take a look at -
http://www.qrparci.org/arciawds.html

73
Steve, G4GXL
QRP-ARCI Webmaster

Re: KX1 1000 miles per watt

Sandy W5TVW
My greatest QRP thrill was quite a few years ago.  Had a Ten-Tec PM3A at
the time.  I managed to work a ZL in New Zealand on 20 meters with a dipole at
15'.  The output was around 3 watts.

Later with a Ten-Tec "Argonaut" (serial #61) I managed to work a whole bunch of
Pacific stuff one night.  Kwajelien Island, Caroline Islands, Hawaii, American Samoa
all on SSB with 3 watts PEP and a Newtronics  "Hustler" mobile antenna on
my old Ford Mustang.  That was quite a thrill!

You'd be surprised wjhat you can work if you are presistant!
73,
Sandy W5TVW

Re: KX1 1000 miles per watt

Benny Aumala
CONGRATULATIONS !

I know how good it feels.
But very short calculations here gave curious results:
I thought my JA1 Long Path with 2xQRP was my best. Both had 5W.

5W         JA1     32.700km    6.500km/W    LongPath
500mW      JA      17.365km   14.700km/W    ShortPath
20mW       N2NB     3.900km  195.000km/W
10mW       Z31      2.700km  270.000km/W

Anyway, there is no officially classified QRPP and milliwatt-classes,
this is something where you match against yourself; all must be in
order technically and operation skill-wise. And feels good.

73    K2    No 3969

OH9NB

> | > Where / how do I apply ?
> |
> | Congratulations !
> | For award details take a look at -
> | http://www.qrparci.org/arciawds.html
> |
> | 73
> | Steve, G4GXL
> | QRP-ARCI Webmaster
_

Re: KX1 1000 miles per watt

Art - W6KY
Maybe my K1 doesn't count as this is a KX1 thread, but on
9/10/2004 I worked 3DA0RN in Swaziland on 40 meter CW
using my K1 at 5 watts. Swaziland is 10,561 miles so that
is 2112 miles per watt....
Gonna send for my Certificate!
73, Art  W6KY    K1-2  K1-4

Alan Dewey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

R: KX1 1000 miles per watt

I0SKK - Alessandro Santucci
Hallo Guys, at this proposal I can say also that in VHF you can reach higher
results...
I put an attenuator ahead my FT817 ad went down at about 5 uW (micro!) and
witha QRB of about 50 km, I passed the 10 million km/W limit. In past HF
were favourite, but VHF can give more.
Last year during the CQ WWDX I had three mW QSO with USA and one with Ja,
but QRP seem to be a limit if don't use beam antenna (I used just my wire
windom with the I7SWX balun modified).

Really a personal challenge!

73  K2 no 01146

Alex I0SKK

But very short calculations here gave curious results:
I thought my JA1 Long Path with 2xQRP was my best. Both had 5W.

5W         JA1     32.700km    6.500km/W    LongPath
500mW      JA      17.365km   14.700km/W    ShortPath
20mW       N2NB     3.900km  195.000km/W
10mW       Z31      2.700km  270.000km/W

Anyway, there is no officially classified QRPP and milliwatt-classes,
this is something where you match against yourself; all must be in
order technically and operation skill-wise. And feels good.

73    K2    No 3969

OH9NB

> | > Where / how do I apply ?
> |
> | Congratulations !