KX1 30-80 meter option

K8QI
Last week I finished my KX1 s/n 2520 basic kit.   I've spent the week learning the operation of the great little rig, 23 states and 3 countries (one was Yemen in a pile up.)   I took it to "Show and Tell" at the local Ham Club Meeting.  Glading accepting all the oh's and ah's.     Now I'm itching to build the 30/80 meter module.   Again, thanks to all who give me suggestions on building the kit.   I plan on taking the KX1 with me when I travel to the Dayton Hamvention and give it a true Portable Operation test.   My question is - what is the average time it takes to build and install the 30/80 meter module?     I want to make sure I'm allowing enough time to complete it before I leave for Dayton.

Thanks and 73
Barry K8QI

Re: KX1 30-80 meter option

Mike WA8BXN
Barry -

As I recall its a fairly small board to assemble and install. But everyone
builds things at different rates. I would guess one evening to build and one
evening to install might do it. But I question how it relates to Dayton.
Assuming you have the basic kit with no options, I would think that adding
the tuner might be a better choice so you can use whatever wire you can get
up/out for an antenna to use on 40 or 20. Those are probably the top two
bands to pick for portable operation. 80 meters really requires more wire
for a decent antenna. 30 meters can be a good alternative band during
contests. So the 80/30 module can be a good addition but I would really want
the tuner first.

73 - Mike WA8BXN

Re: KX1 30-80 meter option

g3ymc
On 15 Apr 2011 at 18:59, K8QI wrote:

> I've spent the week
> learning the operation of the great little rig, 23 states and 3
> countries (one was Yemen in a pile up.)

Really???? Yemen 7O has not been active for years and amateur licences
are currently impossible to get. Either a pirate or you mis-copied the
call.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com

Re: KX1 30-80 meter option

K8QI
Dave,
I rechecked my log and it was A45XR in Oman - Not Yemen.

Now I'm wondering why my "Mental Database" thought it was Yemen?????

73
Barry K8QI

Re: KX1 30-80 meter option

Tony Estep
On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 12:36 AM, Dave Sergeant <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 15 Apr 2011 at 18:59, K8QI wrote:
> .....Yemen 7O has not been active for years and amateur licences
> are currently impossible to get......

Sad but true. But just to show how old I am, I have the (now deleted)
Republic of Yemen from 1958, VS9AD. Back when solar flux was 3x what it is
today, and stuff like that was heard every day.

Tony KT0NY