KX1 #712 on the air

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
Looks like I'm next in line after Brent WB4X who built #711 [1].

I received my KX-1 Wednesday and finished the RX in time for Wayne's
talk at PAARA [2] and completed the TX about 3AM today.

I lost or never got one of the 1000pF capacitors, but found them at
Fry's Electronics 2 for 59 cents.  Other than that it went together
smoothly and worked on all tests first time.

My first contact with it was cross-mode SSB/CW on 40M with JA1DOT in
Tokyo; he was running a kilowatt into a 4-element beam and I was using
my KX1 and HFPacker amp (40-50W) [3].

[1] http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2004-May/033189.html
[2] http://www.paara.org
[3] http://wa5znu.org/log/archives/2004_06_01_index.html

You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: KX1 #712 on the air

bprats
Leigh, Good News, you will really like the hfpack amp with the KX1, this is
a super combination that is high on output and easy on the batteries.  I
recommend using the internal batteries to drive the amp at 20 watts on 40 as
it is a very effective power level with a poor ground mounted antenna.  As
Leigh knows, the KX1 does quite well from a city park picnic table using a
Buddistick antenna and a couple of radials.

Super stuff!!!!  Regards, Bill K6ACJ

KX1 waist pack $4.79 at Walmart

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
At the PAARA meeting, Wayne showed off his waist pack for the KX1, but
said that the pack seemed to be discontinued.

I was envious, and while in search of a good price on Li AA's, I found
an assortment of similar packs at WalMart, and got one that (to my
untrained eye) looked very similar, for $4.79.

See http://tinyurl.com/37ry5 for pictures of the one I got and
descriptions of the ones I didn't.

Leigh.