[KX1] Auto-tuners for KX1

Phil Hystad-3
So, what is the better way to go.  There is the internal KXAT1 auto-tuner for $99 and then there is the external T1 auto-tuner for $136.

Are these the same or equivalent tuners?

What is the SWR range for these?  10:1, 5:1, or 3:1 or whatever?

Is there an advantage to the KXAT1 other then the fact that it is internal?

Thanks for any answers and comments.

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [KX1] Auto-tuners for KX1

wayne burdick
Administrator
Hi Phil,

The T1 has a wider matching range. The internal tuner is optimized for
40-20 m and a wire tossed in a tree.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

----
http://www.elecraft.com

On Jun 12, 2010, at 8:07 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, what is the better way to go.  There is the internal KXAT1 auto-
> tuner for $99 and then there is the external T1 auto-tuner for $136.
>
> Are these the same or equivalent tuners?
>
> What is the SWR range for these?  10:1, 5:1, or 3:1 or whatever?
>
> Is there an advantage to the KXAT1 other then the fact that it is
> internal?
>
> Thanks for any answers and comments.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [KX1] Auto-tuners for KX1

Phil Hystad-3
Wayne,

Thanks.  So, is tossing the wire in the tree part of the tuning process? :-)

phil

On Jun 12, 2010, at 8:15 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> The T1 has a wider matching range. The internal tuner is optimized for 40-20 m and a wire tossed in a tree.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> ----
> http://www.elecraft.com
>
> On Jun 12, 2010, at 8:07 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> So, what is the better way to go.  There is the internal KXAT1 auto-tuner for $99 and then there is the external T1 auto-tuner for $136.
>>
>> Are these the same or equivalent tuners?
>>
>> What is the SWR range for these?  10:1, 5:1, or 3:1 or whatever?
>>
>> Is there an advantage to the KXAT1 other then the fact that it is internal?
>>
>> Thanks for any answers and comments.
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [KX1] Auto-tuners for KX1

Phil,

The T1 tuner has a greater tuning range than the KXAT1.  One cannot just
simply say that a tuner will match a specific SWR - the characteristics
of that particular SWR must be expressed in terms of resistance and
reactance to totally answer your question.
Look at the maximum L and maximum C proveded by each tuner, and then
apply those values to an L-network at the frequency of interest.

All tuners will have a greater matching range at higher frequencies, and
the range will be compressed at lower frequencies.

So one must translate the SWR into resistance and reactive components
(the values plot to a circle on the Smith Chart), and then see what
values of C and L in an L network will bring that SWR to a 50 ohm point
on the Smith Chart - if those values are within the maximum L and C
values provided by the tuner, then that tuner will handle it - if
outside those boundaries, a good match is not possible.

Phil Hystad wrote:

> So, what is the better way to go.  There is the internal KXAT1 auto-tuner for $99 and then there is the external T1 auto-tuner for $136.
>
> Are these the same or equivalent tuners?
>
> What is the SWR range for these?  10:1, 5:1, or 3:1 or whatever?
>
> Is there an advantage to the KXAT1 other then the fact that it is internal?
>
> Thanks for any answers and comments.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [KX1] Auto-tuners for KX1

Michael Babineau-2
For what it is worth ... I have found that the KXAT1 to be more than adequate for tuning my KX1 portable antennas
on 40m/30m/20m. I don't have 80m in my KX1 so I can't comment on that band.  Keep in mind that this
tuner (and the T1) are not designed to tune an end-fed half wave .. but an intelligent choice of end-fed
wire length will give you something that will match and perform well enough to make lots of QSOs.
I often use the recommended 24 to 28 foot near-vertical wire worked against about 5 ground radials,
each  about 16 feet long and have had very good results with this setup.

For me, the convenience of having the KXAT1 internal to the rig offsets any possible limitations of the tuning
range.  If you are looking for a tuner just for the KX1 then I suggest going with the KXAT1, if you want an
autotuner to use with other rigs as well as the KX1 then the T1 is a very good choice (I have both).

I operate portable and pedestrian mobile year round and in spite of having a lot of radios to choose from,
my KX1 seems to get the most use  because it works well, it is self-contained and the TFR design is
very usable whether sitting or walking.  I have also grown to appreciate the choice of LED vs LCD display in the
rig as I have used it many times at temperatures well below -20 degrees C without any issues whatsoever.

Michael VE3WMB