KX1 Kit -- VFO Tuning and Readout ??

Phil Hystad-3
Question For you KX1 experts...

I am in the process of building a KX1 and I am currently doing the Receiver Alignment as described on page 45 of the manual.

I am stuck.  I don't understand the VFO frequency readout.  My KX1 is behaving differently then the description in the manual and I am not sure what kind of mistake I am making or if there is something wrong with the KX1 at this stage (although, all tests and functionality have shown to be OK up until this point).

Here is the problem.  The manual says (page 64) that when you tap the BAND button that the LED readout will the frequency, first showing the MHz, then KHz.  Then, it says that L or U are added in LSB or USB modes.

But, when I tap the BAND button, I get the MHz readout of 7 then I get two readouts following that as 080 and then 80.0 and only on this third number display is the decimal point lit up.  Thus, tapping the BAND button displays 7, then 080, and then 80.0.  Now, I can use the VFO Tune to adjust this final number but I am not sure why I am getting three numbers whereas the manual says that I would get two.

Also, I don't see how to pick a particular frequency as the VFO Tune control and the LED readout do not seem to correspond in a manner that makes sense.  So, I am missing something.

For example, if the frequency were something like 7.058 then I would expect the first number to be 7, the second number to be 058.

Can someone set me straight?

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX1 Kit -- VFO Tuning and Readout ??

Phil Hystad-3
OK, I think I know what I am reading on the LED display but I need confirmation.  I found the W1AW scheduled CW broadcasts on 7.0475 and now see that when I tap the button I get the following displayed sequence: 7, 047, and then 47.5.  So, I see that the final is a 100 Hz digit place and 100 Hz tuning would likely produce this final result (although I have not yet tested that).

I think I got thrown a curve when the manual seemed to hint, no it actually says, that there are TWO readouts, not THREE.

peh

On Nov 11, 2010, at 4:23 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> Question For you KX1 experts...
>
> I am in the process of building a KX1 and I am currently doing the Receiver Alignment as described on page 45 of the manual.
>
> I am stuck.  I don't understand the VFO frequency readout.  My KX1 is behaving differently then the description in the manual and I am not sure what kind of mistake I am making or if there is something wrong with the KX1 at this stage (although, all tests and functionality have shown to be OK up until this point).
>
> Here is the problem.  The manual says (page 64) that when you tap the BAND button that the LED readout will the frequency, first showing the MHz, then KHz.  Then, it says that L or U are added in LSB or USB modes.
>
> But, when I tap the BAND button, I get the MHz readout of 7 then I get two readouts following that as 080 and then 80.0 and only on this third number display is the decimal point lit up.  Thus, tapping the BAND button displays 7, then 080, and then 80.0.  Now, I can use the VFO Tune to adjust this final number but I am not sure why I am getting three numbers whereas the manual says that I would get two.
>
> Also, I don't see how to pick a particular frequency as the VFO Tune control and the LED readout do not seem to correspond in a manner that makes sense.  So, I am missing something.
>
> For example, if the frequency were something like 7.058 then I would expect the first number to be 7, the second number to be 058.
>
> Can someone set me straight?
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX1 Kit -- VFO Tuning and Readout ??

Joe Planisky
Hi Phil,

What you are seeing is exactly correct.  When you tap the Band switch,
you're seeing two "temporary" displays (MHz, then KHz), then it
returns to the normal frequency display for your current tuning rate.
So, yes, the numbers change 3 times, but that 3rd time is just the rig
returning to it's normal display.   This is explained a bit more
clearly on page 29, right hand side, 3rd checkbox:

"You can check the MHz and kHz digits at any time by tapping BAND.
For example, if the VFO frequency is 7100.00 kHz, tapping BAND will
first show 7, then 100, then return to the appropriate display for
your selected tuning rate."

Joe KB8AP

On Nov 11, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> OK, I think I know what I am reading on the LED display but I need
> confirmation.  I found the W1AW scheduled CW broadcasts on 7.0475
> and now see that when I tap the button I get the following displayed
> sequence: 7, 047, and then 47.5.  So, I see that the final is a 100
> Hz digit place and 100 Hz tuning would likely produce this final
> result (although I have not yet tested that).
>
> I think I got thrown a curve when the manual seemed to hint, no it
> actually says, that there are TWO readouts, not THREE.
>
> peh
>
> On Nov 11, 2010, at 4:23 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>
>> Question For you KX1 experts...
>>
>> I am in the process of building a KX1 and I am currently doing the
>> Receiver Alignment as described on page 45 of the manual.
>>
>> I am stuck.  I don't understand the VFO frequency readout.  My KX1
>> is behaving differently then the description in the manual and I am
>> not sure what kind of mistake I am making or if there is something
>> wrong with the KX1 at this stage (although, all tests and
>> functionality have shown to be OK up until this point).
>>
>> Here is the problem.  The manual says (page 64) that when you tap
>> the BAND button that the LED readout will the frequency, first
>> showing the MHz, then KHz.  Then, it says that L or U are added in
>> LSB or USB modes.
>>
>> But, when I tap the BAND button, I get the MHz readout of 7 then I
>> get two readouts following that as 080 and then 80.0 and only on
>> this third number display is the decimal point lit up.  Thus,
>> tapping the BAND button displays 7, then 080, and then 80.0.  Now,
>> I can use the VFO Tune to adjust this final number but I am not
>> sure why I am getting three numbers whereas the manual says that I
>> would get two.
>>
>> Also, I don't see how to pick a particular frequency as the VFO
>> Tune control and the LED readout do not seem to correspond in a
>> manner that makes sense.  So, I am missing something.
>>
>> For example, if the frequency were something like 7.058 then I
>> would expect the first number to be 7, the second number to be 058.
>>
>> Can someone set me straight?
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KX1 Kit -- VFO Tuning and Readout ??

  Phil,

The frequency display is not always simply MHz and kHz.  It all depends ...
The final display depends on the frequency resolution that you have set
by tapping (or holding) the VFO knob.
Consider that the display shows only 3 digits.

If you hold the VFO knob down, the display (and the knob resolution)
will change to kHz.  So what is displayed when you tap the band button
is MHz followed by kHz (and nothing more).

If you tap the VFO knob to show 1 place behind the decimal, the VFO knob
tunes in 100 Hz increments and the display shows those 100 Hz
increments.  So the display will show something like 32.5 when tuned to
7032.5 kHz.  When you tap the BAND button, you will see "7" followed by
"032" and then the display will show 32.5.

If you tap the VFO knob again, you will be set to 10 Hz increments, and
the display will show something like 2.54 (using the example above).
Tapping the BAND button will consecutively show you "7", then "032" and
finally "2.54".

So it really does flash first MHz, and then kHz, but then shows you the
greatest resolution that you have set by tapping/holding the VFO knob.

In other words, there is an initial display (MHz), then an interim
display of the kHz, then a final display which can be either 10 Hz, 100
Hz or 1 kHz depending on the resolution that you have set.

On 11/11/2010 7:23 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> Question For you KX1 experts...
>
> I am in the process of building a KX1 and I am currently doing the Receiver Alignment as described on page 45 of the manual.
>
> I am stuck.  I don't understand the VFO frequency readout.  My KX1 is behaving differently then the description in the manual and I am not sure what kind of mistake I am making or if there is something wrong with the KX1 at this stage (although, all tests and functionality have shown to be OK up until this point).
>
> Here is the problem.  The manual says (page 64) that when you tap the BAND button that the LED readout will the frequency, first showing the MHz, then KHz.  Then, it says that L or U are added in LSB or USB modes.
>
> But, when I tap the BAND button, I get the MHz readout of 7 then I get two readouts following that as 080 and then 80.0 and only on this third number display is the decimal point lit up.  Thus, tapping the BAND button displays 7, then 080, and then 80.0.  Now, I can use the VFO Tune to adjust this final number but I am not sure why I am getting three numbers whereas the manual says that I would get two.
>
> Also, I don't see how to pick a particular frequency as the VFO Tune control and the LED readout do not seem to correspond in a manner that makes sense.  So, I am missing something.
>
> For example, if the frequency were something like 7.058 then I would expect the first number to be 7, the second number to be 058.

Re: KX1 Kit -- VFO Tuning and Readout ??

Phil Hystad-3
Don (and, also Joe)...

Thanks for the answers and the clarification.  Now, I think I can move on with the receiver alignment task and then finish up the kit.  However, even though I am not done any alignment yet, the receiver seems to work pretty good.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Nov 11, 2010, at 4:50 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> But, when I tap the BAND button, I get the MHz readout of 7 then I get two readouts following that as 080 and then 80.0 and only on this third number display is the decimal point lit up.  Thus, tapping the BAND button displays 7, then 080, and then 80.0.  Now, I can use the VFO Tune to adjust this final number but I am not sure why I am getting three numbers whereas the manual says that I would get two.
>>
>> Also, I don't see how to pick a particular frequency as the VFO Tune control and the LED readout do not seem to correspond in a manner that makes sense.  So, I am missing something.
>>
>> For example, if the frequency were something like 7.058 then I would expect the first number to be 7, the second number to be 058.

Re: KX1 Kit -- VFO Tuning and Readout ??

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: KX1 Kit -- VFO Tuning and Readout ??

Phil Hystad-3
On page 64, left column (Pushbutton Switch Function), in the middle of the page on the description of the BAND button (single tap).  The text reads:

     [BAND]      One tap shows frequency (MHz first, then kHz;     L
                      or U is added in LSB or USB modes).  Two quick taps
                      selects the next higher band.

I think it should read as follows to make it more clear:

     [BAND]      One tap shows frequency: first MHz, second KHz, third display frequency
                      with resolution dependent on setting by VFO tap (or double-tap).
                      ...and so on...

What threw me for a loop was that the third display looked to be something unusual
since I was not expecting it and I was confused as a result.  I now understand how this
works but when first confronted by the display of MHz, KHz, and so on I was not
expecting three different numbers.

73, phil, K7PEH