[KX1] On the trail with the KX1 -- Antenna ?

[KX1] On the trail with the KX1 -- Antenna ?

Phil Hystad-3
This summer I plan to take my KX1 in my backpack on some of our summer hikes in the Cascades.  Previously, I have only taken my HT but that is not too bad from the 8000 foot level of Mt. Rainier.

So, I am wondering about an antenna.  Part of the problem is that often we are above the tree line.  No trees.  Has anyone operated in that situation.  What do you do when there are no trees to use for elevating a wire?

Also, a slightly different question -- does anyone use a counterpoise of any sort when using a single wire antenna?  Have you thrown another wire along the ground to create a kind of ground plane or does this not make that much difference.

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [KX1] On the trail with the KX1 -- Antenna ?

kevinr@coho.net
On Mt. Hood we just laid the antenna down on the talus and it worked
fine.  I've done the same thing in New Mexico and in Oklahoma.  In OK it
was not talus but sand on Black Butte.
    Kevin.  KD5ONS

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:28:03 -0700, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This summer I plan to take my KX1 in my backpack on some of our summer
> hikes in the Cascades.  Previously, I have only taken my HT but that is
> not too bad from the 8000 foot level of Mt. Rainier.
>
> So, I am wondering about an antenna.  Part of the problem is that often
> we are above the tree line.  No trees.  Has anyone operated in that
> situation.  What do you do when there are no trees to use for elevating
> a wire?
>
> Also, a slightly different question -- does anyone use a counterpoise of
> any sort when using a single wire antenna?  Have you thrown another wire
> along the ground to create a kind of ground plane or does this not make
> that much difference.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [KX1] On the trail with the KX1 -- Antenna ?

John Harper AE5X
If you're taking a hiking stick you might be able to install a threaded insert (3/8" X 24?) into the top of it to accept a HamStick type of whip. I've done this in Oklahoma and the Texas coast with very good results on 20m with my KX1 - 2 or 3 radials complete the antenna. You can more easily use a camera tripod for the same purpose if you'll be carrying one.

This can be used for bands other than 20m of course but with correspondingly lower efficiency that a 6-foot whip would provide and with less likelihood of decent openings on bands higher than 17/20m.

On 40m, good NVIS results from just laying a dipole on brush/bushes 5 or 6 feet high. By good results I mean loud, solid consistent communication out to 250 miles or so.

John AE5X
Radio: http://www.ae5x.com/blog
Photography: http://www.timelesspixel.com

Re: [KX1] On the trail with the KX1 -- Antenna ?

stan levandowski
Absolutely 'yes'.  In my experience it makes a heck of a difference!  I
have had consistently good experiences with a 28' radiator made out of
24 gauge Teflon-coated stranded wire and a 33' counterpoise just
stretched out on the ground.  I bought one of those double BNC
connectors and it works great.  I use this antenna all the time with
both my KX1 and my K2.  I use it on 40 and 20 and cannot comment on how
it would work on other bands.  Just never tried it.  Maybe I will try it
today.

At last week's ham club meeting I brought my K1 and this antenna and
invited folks to try their hand at CW QRP.  There are always those
skeptics.  We opened the window  and I threw the 28' wire into a nearby
Blue Pine and stretched the 33' counterpoise along the ground.  Guys
worked Puerto Rico and the Balearic Islands.

Probably gained at least a couple converts to QRP with simple wire
antennas and hopefully a few more open minds.

I also have a  vertical Ventenna HFp.  It's quite an effective antenna
and is packaged nicely into a very small carrying bag.  It's also
tunable to all bands.

However, in a "practical shootout" the darn little 28'/33' package of
wire in the sandwich baggie always wins out for ease of setup and
overall effective results.

Stan WB2LQF

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> Also, a slightly different question -- does anyone use a counterpoise
> of any sort when using a single wire antenna?  Have you thrown another
> wire along the ground to create a kind of ground plane or does this
> not make that much difference.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: [KX1] On the trail with the KX1 -- Antenna ?

Ken Alexander-2
Hi Phil,

I assume you have the built-in autotuner.  If so, a 24 ft wire with a few counterpoise wires has been recommended here before.  I have used this with great success with my KX1 and worked Seychelles with 2 watts on battery power with the 24 ft wire strung out to a nearby tree and the two 8 ft counterpoise wires laying on my shack floor.  This was the high point in my ham career!

The antenna is very light and compact, too.

Laying your wires on the rocky ground is probably the best you can hope to do without lugging more stuff with you.  After all, if you're at 8000 ft...that's got to count for something!

73,

Ken Alexander,
VE3HLS