KX1 Paddle Question

stan levandowski
Can anyone tell me what size nut will properly fit the little screw that
secures the paddle to the KX1?

I'm working on a project to fabricate a stand-alone mount for the KX1
paddle.  I know a 4-40 machine screw fits nicely through the bottom hole
and also could be used through the top (threaded) hole, but I'd rather
try to make use of the stock "thumb-and-forefinger-operated" screw to
preserve the ability to move the paddle back and forth to the KX1
quickly and without tools.

I brought the paddle to a hardware store today and nothing seemed to
mate properly with it !!

73,

Stan Levandowski WB2LQF
HF QRP CW -- Doing more with less for over 50 years!
QCWA #35038   OOTC #4558   NAQCC #4740   SKCC #6488   FISTS #14992

Re: KX1 Paddle Question

Don Wilhelm-4
  Stan,

Since you could not find a match, I would be suspicious of your hardware
store's stock.
It is 6-32 threads - I just threaded a 6-32 nut onto one of the thumbscrews.

On 11/7/2010 7:41 PM, stan levandowski wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what size nut will properly fit the little screw that
> secures the paddle to the KX1?
>
> I'm working on a project to fabricate a stand-alone mount for the KX1
> paddle.  I know a 4-40 machine screw fits nicely through the bottom hole
> and also could be used through the top (threaded) hole, but I'd rather
> try to make use of the stock "thumb-and-forefinger-operated" screw to
> preserve the ability to move the paddle back and forth to the KX1
> quickly and without tools.
>
> I brought the paddle to a hardware store today and nothing seemed to
> mate properly with it !!

Re: KX1 Paddle Question

stan levandowski
Don, thanks!  6-32 did fit but with a little wobble.  I just went
downstairs and ran a known 6-32 nut up a known 6-32 stud and it also
wobbled a bit!

So 6-32 it is after all!  Funny how one can fail to notice the obvious
for so long...

Guess I've spent too much time messing around with plastic insert
locknuts.  They do NOT wobble!

73 and thanks again for confirming the nut.