KX1 Red Display Filter

Chuck Guenther
Instructions for installing the LED filter are given on page 52
of the latest KX1 manual (Rev. E, dated May 21, 2010).

The transparent tape just didn't hold in my case, with the result
that the filter is floating around inside the case somewhere, leaving
the LED display chip exposed.

Has anyone discovered a better way to attach this filter?  I'm thinking
of using a very small quantity of RTV sealant, judiciously applied
around the edges of the filter with a toothpick.  Any thoughts?

Thanks & 73,

Chuck Guenther  NI0C
KX1 s/n 2512

Re: KX1 Red Display Filter

Chuck Stover
I used two thin strips of duct tape.  The tape supplied with my kit did not hold either.

Chuck K4QS

> of the latest KX1 manual (Rev. E, dated May 21, 2010).
>
> The transparent tape just didn't hold in my case, with the
> result
> that the filter is floating around inside the case
> somewhere, leaving
> the LED display chip exposed.
>
> Has anyone discovered a better way to attach this
> filter?  I'm thinking
> of using a very small quantity of RTV sealant, judiciously
> applied
> around the edges of the filter with a toothpick.  Any
> thoughts?
>
> Thanks & 73,
>
> Chuck Guenther  NI0C
> KX1 s/n 2512

Re: KX1 Red Display Filter

Chuck Stover

Silicone just sounds so messy. Hi!

Chuck K4QS
> Many thanks for your very quick response!  Duct tape--
> why didn't I
> think of that?
> Tnx again & 73,
> Chuck  NI0C
>

> On 4/7/2011 6:56 AM, Chuck Stover wrote:
> > I used two thin strips of duct tape.  The tape
> supplied with my kit did not hold either.
> >
> > Chuck K4QS
> >
> > --- On Thu, 4/7/11, Chuck Guenther<[hidden email]
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Chuck Guenther<[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: [Elecraft]  KX1 Red Display Filter
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Date: Thursday, April 7, 2011, 7:49 AM
> >> Instructions for installing the LED
> >> filter are given on page 52
> >> of the latest KX1 manual (Rev. E, dated May 21,
> 2010).
> >>
> >> The transparent tape just didn't hold in my case,
> with the
> >> result
> >> that the filter is floating around inside the
> case
> >> somewhere, leaving
> >> the LED display chip exposed.
> >>
> >> Has anyone discovered a better way to attach this
> >> filter?  I'm thinking
> >> of using a very small quantity of RTV sealant,
> judiciously
> >> applied
> >> around the edges of the filter with a
> toothpick.  Any
> >> thoughts?
> >>
> >> Thanks&  73,
> >>
> >> Chuck Guenther  NI0C
> >> KX1 s/n 2512

> >> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: KX1 Red Display Filter

K8QI
I just checked my Red Display Filter that I installed yesterday.    The tape did not hold either.    Guess I'll try the ductape method.

73
Barry K8QI

Re: KX1 Red Display Filter

On 4/7/2011 7:49 AM, Chuck Guenther wrote:

> Instructions for installing the LED filter are given on page 52
> of the latest KX1 manual (Rev. E, dated May 21, 2010).
>
> The transparent tape just didn't hold in my case, with the result
> that the filter is floating around inside the case somewhere, leaving
> the LED display chip exposed.
>
> Has anyone discovered a better way to attach this filter?  I'm thinking
> of using a very small quantity of RTV sealant, judiciously applied
> around the edges of the filter with a toothpick.  Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks&  73,
>
> Chuck Guenther  NI0C
> KX1 s/n 2512

Re: KX1 Red Display Filter

Sorry all, I fumble-fingered the SEND button.

Sorry about the tape Chuck.  Actually, you can use anything that will
stick it down.  If you use RTV, be careful that it does not creep into
the display window (actually that is a good method, but not without
hazard).  Duct tape will work, but it does harden with age.  Scotch
transparent tape actually works quite well - get enough of the adhesive
surface on the metal and it will stick for a long time.
Other glues that will work well are found as "Glass and Bead Glue" in
craft stores - the same cautions as for the RTV apply.

In other words, just "get it stuck on" with a glue that will last and
not make a mess.  Whatever is chosen must adhere to both plastic and metal.