KX3 Baseband filter?

Steve Ellington
Wayne made a comment during the video about the optional roofing filter being "baseband" instead of a crystal filter. Can someone explain what that means? Maybe I missed something.

Steve
N4LQ

Re: KX3 Baseband filter?

Bruce Beford-2
"Baseband" refers to the fact that the QSD down-converts the RF to IQ
streams at directly near-audio range frequencies. The ADC converts this to
digital, and the DSP then does the demodulation. From the description, the
"IF" frequencies are in the 10 KHz range. So, the "baseband roofing" filter
will be a selectable active "audio" filter operating in this range, prior to
the ADC. This will prevent excessive "out of band" energy from reaching the
ADC.

Bruce, N1RX

Re: KX3 Baseband filter?

Rick Prather-2
Thank you Bruce,

I was also puzzled by that part of the presentation.

Rick
K6LE

On 5/21/2011, at 8:01 , Bruce Beford wrote:

> "Baseband" refers to the fact that the QSD down-converts the RF to IQ
> streams at directly near-audio range frequencies. The ADC converts this to
> digital, and the DSP then does the demodulation. From the description, the
> "IF" frequencies are in the 10 KHz range. So, the "baseband roofing" filter
> will be a selectable active "audio" filter operating in this range, prior to
> the ADC. This will prevent excessive "out of band" energy from reaching the
> ADC.
>
> Bruce, N1RX

Re: KX3 Baseband filter?

P.B. Christensen
According to Wayne, Rx performance will be similar to that of the Flex-3000.
With the KX3's QSD down-convert architecture, my guess is that all
performance parameters will be superb, with BDR specs probably well behind
the K3.  I'm basing my opinion only on the little information available.
Who knows what other magic they developed to close the gap in performance.
It's hard to believe that such performance is attainable in a low-current
design.  Take a look at Dan Tayloe's Norcal 2030.  It's nearly a miracle
that he attained such high performance in a quadrature detector design and
yet the  Rx current is less than 12 mA.

The KX3 effectively combines the best performance and portability attributes
of the Flex-3000 and Flex-1500 into a highly modular package.  Once
available, I can't imagine anything better for a DXpedition.  For
contesting, FD , etc., the K3 would still surpass it.

I really like the KX3 panel design.  I'm still hoping that the next major
Elecraft transceiver continues with modular architecture to allow for a
choice in remote control panels between portable and base station sizes.
There's no longer a need to bind the hardware to the control surface.

Paul, W9AC

> I was also puzzled by that part of the presentation.
>
> Rick
> K6LE
>
> On 5/21/2011, at 8:01 , Bruce Beford wrote:
>
>> "Baseband" refers to the fact that the QSD down-converts the RF to IQ
>> streams at directly near-audio range frequencies. The ADC converts this
>> digital, and the DSP then does the demodulation. From the description,
>> the
>> "IF" frequencies are in the 10 KHz range. So, the "baseband roofing"
>> filter
>> will be a selectable active "audio" filter operating in this range, prior
>> the ADC. This will prevent excessive "out of band" energy from reaching
>> the
>> ADC.
>>
>> Bruce, N1RX

Re: KX3 Baseband filter?

k6dgw
"QSD" has always meant, "Your keying is defective."  I'm guessing that
isn't what's meant here?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

On 5/21/2011 8:30 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:

> With the KX3's QSD down-convert architecture, my guess is that all
> performance parameters will be superb, with BDR specs probably well behind
> the K3.

Re: KX3 Baseband filter?

Bruce Beford-2
Quadrature Sampling Detector

> "QSD" has always meant, "Your keying is defective."  I'm guessing that
> isn't what's meant here?

>73,

> Fred K6DGW

Re: KX3 Baseband filter?

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> Once available, I can't imagine anything better for a DXpedition.

I can ... the K3 with its *full* dual receive and reasonable size.
I am, admittedly, not a fan of "portable" or backpack radio but
the KX3 is simply too small and underpowered for my taste,  The
benefits of a "real" 100W radio will still make a K3 the radio of
choice for DXPeditions over the KX3/PPX100 combination.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV