KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

Steve KC8QVO
I have tuned around the bands a bit on my KX3 but I haven't had a QSO on it yet. I was working on hooking up a mic the past couple days and got it wired up. So I decided to give it a try listening on my FT-857D. The KX3 was plugged in to a dummy load.

I put both rigs in CW first just to see what the signal strength was like listening on an antenna and transmitting in to the dummy load. I couldn't find the transmitted signal from the KX3.

Long story short, I changed bands a few times and that didn't work. So I put the antenna on the KX3 and found that I was detecting a close signal on the other rig. I took a spin around the dial to find it.

My KX3 was on 18.070 and my FT-857D tuned it in at 18.057.67. I put the dummy load back on the KX3 and tried USB. Without touching the frequency on the KX3 the FT-857D pulled in the SSB signal at 18.057.5, 12.5kHz off.

The FT-857D is my every day rig in the truck, I know its not that far off.

How can I align/calibrate the frequency on the KX3?

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

Steve KC8QVO
Here are some more numbers:

        FT857D / KX3
160:     1800 / 1801.18
80:     3.500 /3.502.35
40:     7.000 / 7.004.76
30:   10.100 / 10.106.88
20:   14.000 / 14.009.55
17:   18.100 / 18.112.37
15:   21.000 / 21.014.36
12:   24.900 / 24.917.1
10:   28.000 / 28.019.18
6:    50.100 / 50.134.32

These were all measured on CW. I have a service monitor back home so I have a better reference to use, just not with me right now. If there is an alignment procedure that would be a big help.

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

The frequency calibration is in the manual.

Refer to the KX3 manual beginning on page 31 to calibrate your reference
frequency..  That procedure should achieve an accuracy better then +/- 1
ppm.

On 7/14/2012 10:09 PM, Steve KC8QVO wrote:

> Here are some more numbers:
>
>          FT857D / KX3
> 160:     1800 / 1801.18
> 80:     3.500 /3.502.35
> 40:     7.000 / 7.004.76
> 30:   10.100 / 10.106.88
> 20:   14.000 / 14.009.55
> 17:   18.100 / 18.112.37
> 15:   21.000 / 21.014.36
> 12:   24.900 / 24.917.1
> 10:   28.000 / 28.019.18
> 6:    50.100 / 50.134.32
>
> These were all measured on CW. I have a service monitor back home so I have
> a better reference to use, just not with me right now. If there is an
> alignment procedure that would be a big help.
>
> Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

k7sss
Steve,
Check the KX3 Owner's manual. Revision B4 Page 31
73
Jim H
K7SSS

In a message dated 7/14/2012 6:11:52 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Here are  some more numbers:

FT857D /  KX3
160:     1800 / 1801.18
80:     3.500  /3.502.35
40:     7.000 / 7.004.76
30:   10.100  / 10.106.88
20:   14.000 / 14.009.55
17:   18.100 /  18.112.37
15:   21.000 / 21.014.36
12:   24.900 /  24.917.1
10:   28.000 / 28.019.18
6:    50.100 /  50.134.32

These were all measured on CW. I have a service monitor back  home so I have
a better reference to use, just not with me right now. If  there is an
alignment procedure that would be a big help.

Steve,  KC8QVO

Post:  mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by:  http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

Steve KC8QVO
Can a few of you give me your cal numbers? I threw mine off. I didn't write the number down because it was so far off, got it tuned on 40 meters just right, then went to tune it on 30 and it was out of the ball park. Now I'm trying to get it tuned on 40 again.

I guess its just one cal number across the board. That has me a bit worried. Based on my numbers before as the frequency went up the frequency error went up too. I am not sure that will calibrate out, but I'll give it a shot.

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

Don Wilhelm-4
Steve,

Start with REF CAL at 114.321.44.
Yes, there is just one setting for all bands.  I suggest using WWV at
the highest frequency you can receive it.
Follow the instructions for calibrating REF CAL in the manual.
If that is done correctly and you have a significant error on the bands,
you have something else wrong and you should contact support.

On 7/15/2012 9:57 AM, Steve KC8QVO wrote:

> Can a few of you give me your cal numbers? I threw mine off. I didn't write
> the number down because it was so far off, got it tuned on 40 meters just
> right, then went to tune it on 30 and it was out of the ball park. Now I'm
> trying to get it tuned on 40 again.
>
> I guess its just one cal number across the board. That has me a bit worried.
> Based on my numbers before as the frequency went up the frequency error went
> up too. I am not sure that will calibrate out, but I'll give it a shot.
>
> Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

Steve KC8QVO
OK, Ill try that.

I am trying to get the radio to where I can use it. I'll be back home tonight so I can dial it in better on the service monitor.

Once I started in on the calibration my plan was to check it on different bands, but that didn't work out so well HIHI.

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

Steve KC8QVO
I am not having any luck with that CAL number. I am on 40 transmitting with my FT-857D in to a dummy load and I can't find the signal. I've gone way below and above the transmit frequency (7.025).

Before when I adjusted the CAL number the first time I was on 40 and did the same thing - transmitted with the FT-857D and tuned the CAL number, with the KX3's VFO on the same frequency as the FT-857D, to zero-beat. It took a fair amount of dial spinning to get there but it went. Now I'm not sure where it is.

Is there a standard starting number from the factory? How much variation is there in CAL numbers? I was thinking if I got a group of numbers and averaged them I might have a better shot, but until I can even find a signal on the rig I might be shooting in the dark.

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

Tony Estep
Steve, just cal using WWV per the manual, then verify by listening to a signal generator or BC station. Doing it by transmitting to the ft857 you may be hearing a spurious signal from the rcvr.

Tony kt0ny

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 15, 2012, at 11:14 AM, Steve KC8QVO <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not having any luck with that CAL number. I am on 40 transmitting with
> my FT-857D in to a dummy load and I can't find the signal. I've gone way
> below and above the transmit frequency (7.025).
>
> Before when I adjusted the CAL number the first time I was on 40 and did the
> same thing - transmitted with the FT-857D and tuned the CAL number, with the
> KX3's VFO on the same frequency as the FT-857D, to zero-beat. It took a fair
> amount of dial spinning to get there but it went. Now I'm not sure where it
> is.
>
> Is there a standard starting number from the factory? How much variation is
> there in CAL numbers? I was thinking if I got a group of numbers and
> averaged them I might have a better shot, but until I can even find a signal
> on the rig I might be shooting in the dark.
>
> Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

KU7Y
Just as another data point, my REF CAL setting shows 114.330.40

The rig seems to be "right on", as close as I can measure.

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
SOWP 5545M
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club
Brenda, AZ (Winter)
Caldwell, ID (Summer)
[hidden email]
http://www.hatpinsandmore.com
KX3 #0062

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

Steve,

I strongly suggest you do it like the manual indicates - tune in WWV and
not a frequency on 40 meters.  Once you have accomplished that, if the
frequency is not correct on 40 (or 30 or any other band) it is time to
contact support for assistance.

You really don't know how accurate your FT857 is either, and I suspect
your service monitor does not have a current calibration tag, so relying
on them for precision is not the way to go.
The carrier of WWV is accurate, but be certain you are tuned to the
carrier and not to one of the transmitted tones.

On 7/15/2012 12:14 PM, Steve KC8QVO wrote:

> I am not having any luck with that CAL number. I am on 40 transmitting with
> my FT-857D in to a dummy load and I can't find the signal. I've gone way
> below and above the transmit frequency (7.025).
>
> Before when I adjusted the CAL number the first time I was on 40 and did the
> same thing - transmitted with the FT-857D and tuned the CAL number, with the
> KX3's VFO on the same frequency as the FT-857D, to zero-beat. It took a fair
> amount of dial spinning to get there but it went. Now I'm not sure where it
> is.
>
> Is there a standard starting number from the factory? How much variation is
> there in CAL numbers? I was thinking if I got a group of numbers and
> averaged them I might have a better shot, but until I can even find a signal
> on the rig I might be shooting in the dark.
>
> Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

Steve KC8QVO
Well everything looks back on track now.

I'm at 114.206.48. I tuned it in using WWV on 10mHz, then went to 15mHz and it was OK there. Then I went to 6 meters. If you look at my numbers above this is the band that had the largest error.

I keyed up at 50.100 CW on the FT-857D then tuned it in with the KX3. It was off a bit so I centered the KX3's VFO at 50.100 and went back to the calibration to zero-beat it.

After that I went back to WWV at 15 and 10mHz, all OK.

Then I went to 80 meters - 3.500 CW. The  KX3 shows 3.500.08 at zero beat. I think that's close enough for now.

I still can't figure out why I couldn't find the FT-857D's signal before. It was fine last night when I recorded all the band errors and also when I calibrated it on 40. Then when I went to 30 I lost it.

In any event, it all seems OK now. Thanks everyone. I'll check it again when I get home, but I don't know that I'll get it any closer. If anything changes I'll report back.

Steve, KC8QVO

Re: KX3 - Calibrating Frequency/Aligning?

Steve KC8QVO
114.206.70 was right on. I checked it on 40m, 20m, and 6m. My guess before at it wasn't too far off, all things considered.

I used the the CWT function on the KX3 and generated a -100dBm signal in to it. Once I zeroed the signal on the CWT meter I changed bands and it was right on.

Steve, KC8QVO