KX3 Grounding & NiMH Batteries

TFJM
Looking for suggestions on some type of quick connect/disconnect for a ground to the chassis of the KX3 instead of having to loosen a thumbscrew each time.

Also, is there one type of NiMH batteries to consider that might be considered the best? Just rec'd my KX3 and haven't bought batteries. I have been using the Pro Audio Engineering power supply.

Thank you-

Re: KX3 Grounding & NiMH Batteries

K1BRA
There are two types of NiMH batteries, ‘regular’ and Low Self Discharge (LSD). LSD NiMH batteries have 10-20% less capacity that the highest capacity standard NiMH cells but lose much less of their charge over time. I use LSD NiMH’s because the charger in the KX3 has to be enabled manually and doesn’t continually top up the batteries. For scenarios where I’d really care about the extra capacity, I use an external lithium iron battery pack anyway

The generally recognized ‘best’ LSD NiMH batteries are the Sanyo Eneloop XX batteries (the black ones, not the standard white Eneloops which have less capacity). They do come at a significant cost premium, however, for the 10-15% extra capacity they have over less expensive NiMH LSD cells.

Tim Henrion
KC1EOQ

> On Mar 20, 2016, at 10:59 AM, TFJM via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Looking for suggestions on some type of quick connect/disconnect for a ground
> to the chassis of the KX3 instead of having to loosen a thumbscrew each
> time.
>
> Also, is there one type of NiMH batteries to consider that might be
> considered the best? Just rec'd my KX3 and haven't bought batteries. I have
> been using the Pro Audio Engineering power supply.
>
> Thank you-

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Grounding & NiMH Batteries

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
I bought high-capacity NiMH batteries for my KX3 and they were nearly
always dead.

I replaced them with "pre-charged" (Low Self-Discharge) cells, and
they're always good.

The choice is easy.

73 -- Lynn

On 3/20/2016 7:59 AM, TFJM via Elecraft wrote:
> Also, is there one type of NiMH batteries to consider that might be
> considered the best?

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Grounding & NiMH Batteries

Rick Robinson
If you do not use the 2 meter module you can do as I have and use the hole
in the case for the 2 meter antenna. I used star washers to bite into the
metal and have a 1/4" or so of a small machine screw sticking out. It does
a great job of grounding the rig.

--
Rick, W8ZT

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 Grounding & NiMH Batteries

F5LCI
" Looking for suggestions on some type of quick connect/disconnect for a ground to the chassis of the KX3 instead of having to loosen a thumbscrew each time. "

- I would simply leave on the thumbscrew a small bit of wire  with a banana plug on the other end.
- Anyway, KX3 on batteries can sometimes work "floating" ; it depends on your antenna setup.

Regards,
F5LCI