KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Richard Fjeld
Before I bought a P3 (which is great), I built a Softrock IF receiver, and I tested a friends LP-Pan also.  So I have experienced some of the software out there, but not much. I believe there is a community interested in this.

My questions are:
--What software(s) did you try when testing the I/Q SDR signals coming out of the KX3?  (Any comments on them?)

--Has, or is, anyone in the process of modifying a SDR software to provide control between the KX3 radio and computer?

--Will Elecraft be offering any software?

--What price range and type (USB vs. internal) was the soundcard used?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Richard Fjeld, n0ce
[hidden email]
I'd rather be learning.

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Tony Estep
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Richard Fjeld <[hidden email]>wrote:

> .... anyone in the process of modifying a SDR software to provide control
> between the KX3 radio and computer?...
>
> =======
Richard, if I understand correctly how the KX3's I-Q output is going to
work, then you can use it directly with SPDR/IF, no modificaton necessary.
And if the KX3 is controllable via CAT commands, you can link SPDR/IF
directly to it using LP-Bridge. This would provide a panadapter setup
identical to what you'd get with a K3 and LP-Pan, which I can attest is a
truly wonderful arrangement.

73,
Tony KT0Y

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

wayne burdick
Richard Fjeld wrote:

> --What software(s) did you try when testing the I/Q SDR signals
> coming out of the KX3?

HDSDR, freeware written by I2PHD and now maintained by a German group (www.hdsdr.de
). But it should work with any package that supports receive I/Q
signals.

> --Has, or is, anyone in the process of modifying SDR software to
> provide control between the KX3 radio and computer?

Not yet. But note that the KX3 supports the same rich remote-control
command set as the K3, which means it will work with HRD and other
third-party applications.

> --Will Elecraft be offering any software?

We'll have KX3 Utility which is used for firmware loading, general
configuration, and command testing. We might offer other applications
in the future.

> --What price range and type (USB vs. internal) was the soundcard used?

EMU 0202, $100 typical (used), USB external.

> Any other comments would be appreciated.

Works great :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Greg - AB7R
Richard,

Hard to answer these as the KX3 has not yet been available for sale.  I
don't expect Elecraft will be doing any software for this as there are
plenty of free options already available.  I use NaP3 which is another
derivitive of PowerSDR but with a much better display resolution.
PowerSDRIF is another good option....this of course need something like
LP-Pan for the IQ signals and a good soundcard.

73
Greg
AB7R

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Richard Fjeld <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Before I bought a P3 (which is great), I built a Softrock IF receiver, and
> I tested a friends LP-Pan also.  So I have experienced some of the software
> out there, but not much. I believe there is a community interested in this.
>
> My questions are:
> --What software(s) did you try when testing the I/Q SDR signals coming out
> of the KX3?  (Any comments on them?)
>
> --Has, or is, anyone in the process of modifying a SDR software to provide
> control between the KX3 radio and computer?
>
> --Will Elecraft be offering any software?
>
> --What price range and type (USB vs. internal) was the soundcard used?
>
> Any other comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Richard Fjeld, n0ce
> [hidden email]
> I'd rather be learning.

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Tony Estep
On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ...of course need something like
> LP-Pan for the IQ signals and a good soundcard...
>
> ==========
Soundcard yes, LP-Pan no. KX3 puts out I-Q signals.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Greg - AB7R
Sorry folks.  Sometimes my head is not screwed on correctly and I had K3 on
the brain when responding to this message....Obviously Tony is correct and
no LP-Pan is needed for the KX3.

Back to work....
:)
73
Greg

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Tony Estep <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Greg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ...of course need something like
>> LP-Pan for the IQ signals and a good soundcard...
>>
>> ==========
> Soundcard yes, LP-Pan no. KX3 puts out I-Q signals.
>
> Tony KT0NY
>

> --
> http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Dave KK7SS
Wayne wrote:
>> --Has, or is, anyone in the process of modifying SDR software to
>> provide control between the KX3 radio and computer?
>
>Not yet. But note that the KX3 supports the same rich remote-control
>command set as the K3, which means it will work with HRD and other
>third-party applications.

>From a selfish point of view:  Is Linux being considered?
(HRD doesn't run under Linux and only sometimes with Wine!)

Thanks

--
Dave G  KK7SS
 Richland, WA

'59 Morris Minor 1000 - working on it :|
'65 Sprite - running :)
'76 Midget - co-owned with #4 Son :)
'06 Honda Civic Hybrid

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

KK7P
Linux, Mac, PC - it all depends on the software developer community.  I
would expect Linrad to work very well with the KX3, for example.  In the
end, it is just a baseband I/Q output from the KX3.  Any
soundcard+software combination that works with a softrock receiver, for
example, should work with the KX3.

Whether or not the program that handles the I/Q stream also controls the
radio is a different matter.  Some will, some won't, and some may...
someday.

73,

Lyle KK7P

>>> --Has, or is, anyone in the process of modifying SDR software to
>>> provide control between the KX3 radio and computer?
>> Not yet. But note that the KX3 supports the same rich remote-control
>> command set as the K3, which means it will work with HRD and other
>> third-party applications.
> > From a selfish point of view:  Is Linux being considered?
> (HRD doesn't run under Linux and only sometimes with Wine!)

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Dave KK7SS
Lyle,

Many Thanks <g>

--

----- "Lyle Johnson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Linux, Mac, PC - it all depends on the software developer community.
> I would expect Linrad to work very well with the KX3, for example.  In
> the end, it is just a baseband I/Q output from the KX3.  Any
> soundcard+software combination that works with a softrock receiver,
> for example, should work with the KX3.
>
> Whether or not the program that handles the I/Q stream also controls
> the radio is a different matter.  Some will, some won't, and some may...
> someday.

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

k6dgw
On 11/4/2011 9:23 AM, Dave KK7SS wrote:

>> From a selfish point of view:  Is Linux being considered?
> (HRD doesn't run under Linux and only sometimes with Wine!)

Here in California, everything runs well with wine.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > Here in California, everything runs well with wine.

The wine seems to be concentrating in Oakland (and New York City)
if the news reports are accurate.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 11/4/2011 1:32 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:

> On 11/4/2011 9:23 AM, Dave KK7SS wrote:
>
>>>  From a selfish point of view:  Is Linux being considered?
>> (HRD doesn't run under Linux and only sometimes with Wine!)
>
> Here in California, everything runs well with wine.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
> - www.cqp.org

KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Richard Fjeld
Due to Wayne's prompt reply to my questions, I went to the website mentioned and downloaded HDSDR software and learned that OmniRig software DOES offer control between the radio and HDSDR.

I found no guide or instructions, but I stumbled through it and got HDSDR with OmniRig to work. It will change freq and modes from radio to HDSDR and vice versa.  I don't know how to set things up properly yet, so it is not completely user friendly at this point.  I will look into the user group listed on one of the web-pages for some info. Even though I have a P3, I would like to see the SDR-IF receiver-only project that I built be a useful success.

People with KX3's should find it easier to enter the computerized pan-adapter world as it will plug directly into a computer soundcard without the need to build, or provide, an SDR-IF receiver. Plus, from what I read, I am assuming it will be a SDR transceiver. That will be interesting.

Richard Fjeld, n0ce
[hidden email]
I'd rather be learning.

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Tony Estep
On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Richard Fjeld <[hidden email]>wrote:

> ....People with KX3's should find it easier to enter the computerized
> pan-adapter world as it will plug directly into a computer....

==============
I would add to Richard's comment that the KX3 design appears to me to be an
ideal implementation of SDR for amateur purposes. I have played around
quite a bit with SDRs. I've owned 2 Flex radios and have 2 Softrocks, and
that experience has convinced me that the actual signal detection, DSP
filtering and processing, etc. should all be done inside the radio, not by
a general-purpose PC. Today's SDRs are an interesting proof of concept, but
as operating ham rigs they have insuperable flaws that result mainly from
trying to get a PC to do tasks that would be much better done by a
special-purpose computing system with a suitable OS and tailored data paths.

The computerized panadapter is quite neat and I have found it to be even
more useful than the very useful P3 (I use PSDR-IF, but there are many
more; see the LP-Pan home page and/or many other SDR pages for samples).
However, to use it with an analog radio like the K3, you need extra
gadgetry and complexity in the shack. I'm really looking forward to getting
my hands on a KX3. Perhaps after it hits the market, ham rigs will start to
provide I-Q output as standard equipment. That would be a step forward for
ham radio, and another chapter in Elecraft's history of innovations in the
industry.

73,
Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Richard Fjeld
I have included Tony's comments below.  I agree with paragraph one.

However, in paragraph two I take issue.  I am considering the ease and convenience
of using a P3. Plus the bandwidth is wider. It is plug and play. No computer
issues of hardware, software, and soundcards.

I have used PSDR-IF. I would like to be able to run PSDR-IF, but I am not alone
in experiencing mirrored images. Yes, my I & Q signals are balanced. Yet WinRad and
HDSDR works with no images.

I have to ask what type of soundcard and computer you are using to accomplish this?
Also, would you include the total value of your package if I were to purchase the same?

Thank you,
Richard Fjeld, n0ce

[...]

David Gilbert
"I have to ask what type of soundcard and computer you are using to accomplish this?
Also, would you include the total value of your package if I were to purchase the same?"

That's kind of like figuring in the cost of your shack, tower, or antennas.  If you already have a decent computer and sound card, the relevant answer would be zero additional cost since there is some very competent free SDR software out there and the KX3 isn't going to require anything else except an inexpensive cable.  I'm not sure any of that will be any more difficult to install than doing P3 and K3 firmware updates.  Worst case, if I didn't already have them, I might factor in the cost of a high end sound card, a video card with outputs for two monitors, and a second monitor.

But just for the sake of argument, a dedicated computer with great software flexibility can be purchased new (or factory refurbished) for less than $300; a low noise, high dynamic range sound card capable of 192 KHz band coverage for maybe $120 (see N8LP's list of suggested models); and a dedicated monitor with much larger size and resolution than the P3 for around $100.

To each his own, but I think KT0NY is totally correct and I think Elecraft has done an admirable thing by including I/Q outputs in the KX3.  If the KX3 turns out to be significantly less susceptible to mushing of multiple low level in-band signals than the K3, the combination of that and the I/Q outputs might even be enough to make me sell my K3 and buy a KX3.

Dave   AB7E

On 11/7/2011 12:34 PM, Richard Fjeld wrote:

> I have included Tony's comments below.  I agree with paragraph one.
>
> However, in paragraph two I take issue.  I am considering the ease and convenience
> of using a P3. Plus the bandwidth is wider. It is plug and play. No computer
> issues of hardware, software, and soundcards.
>
> I have used PSDR-IF. I would like to be able to run PSDR-IF, but I am not alone
> in experiencing mirrored images. Yes, my I&  Q signals are balanced. Yet WinRad and
> HDSDR works with no images.
>
> I have to ask what type of soundcard and computer you are using to accomplish this?
> Also, would you include the total value of your package if I were to purchase the same?
>
> Thank you,
> Richard Fjeld, n0ce
>
> I would add to Richard's comment that the KX3 design appears to me to be an
> ideal implementation of SDR for amateur purposes. I have played around
> quite a bit with SDRs. I've owned 2 Flex radios and have 2 Softrocks, and
> that experience has convinced me that the actual signal detection, DSP
> filtering and processing, etc. should all be done inside the radio, not by
> a general-purpose PC. Today's SDRs are an interesting proof of concept, but
> as operating ham rigs they have insuperable flaws that result mainly from
> trying to get a PC to do tasks that would be much better done by a
> special-purpose computing system with a suitable OS and tailored data paths.
>
> The computerized panadapter is quite neat and I have found it to be even
> more useful than the very useful P3 (I use PSDR-IF, but there are many
> more; see the LP-Pan home page and/or many other SDR pages for samples).
> However, to use it with an analog radio like the K3, you need extra
> gadgetry and complexity in the shack. I'm really looking forward to getting
> my hands on a KX3. Perhaps after it hits the market, ham rigs will start to
> provide I-Q output as standard equipment. That would be a step forward for
> ham radio, and another chapter in Elecraft's history of innovations in the
> industry.
>
> 73,
> Tony KT0NY

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Nr4c
Folks, are you assuming the P3 will plug into the KX3?  If so, I think it
will be while until such an adapter is offered.  The P3 accepts input from
the IF out connector on the KXV3(a) board.  I don't think the KX3 even has
an IF to output.  It outputs I/Q signals which are audio level outputs for
direct input into a computer sound card.

...bill  nr4c

> [...]

> as operating ham rigs they have insuperable flaws that result mainly from
> trying to get a PC to do tasks that would be much better done by a
> special-purpose computing system with a suitable OS and tailored data
paths.

> The computerized panadapter is quite neat and I have found it to be even
> more useful than the very useful P3 (I use PSDR-IF, but there are many
> more; see the LP-Pan home page and/or many other SDR pages for samples).
> However, to use it with an analog radio like the K3, you need extra
> gadgetry and complexity in the shack. I'm really looking forward to
getting
> my hands on a KX3. Perhaps after it hits the market, ham rigs will start
> provide I-Q output as standard equipment. That would be a step forward for
> ham radio, and another chapter in Elecraft's history of innovations in the

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Richard Fjeld
Thanks Dave,

My comments were to address only the pan-adapter aspect.  The SDR-IF
receiver was the means to achieve a seemingly low cost computerized
pan-adapter. (I acknowledge that the SDR receiver offers unique features. No
argument.) I will be interested to see where a 192 KHz card can be bought
for $120.

I have been trying to run PSDR-IF on an HP with a P4 at 3 GHz.  with a 96
KHz SoundBlaster card.  The image problem makes it unusable. Yet WinRad
displays fine. I've used both a Softrock and an LP-PAN.

I have a friend, and I read about others, who are trying to make it work on
other radios with the same problem.  We can't find the solution. I have been
told that others are successful. Perhaps it lies with the Video Card which
you omitted in your cost estimates.

Dick, n0ce

> "I have to ask what type of soundcard and computer you are using to
> accomplish this?
> Also, would you include the total value of your package if I were to
> purchase the same?"
>
> That's kind of like figuring in the cost of your shack, tower, or
> antennas.  If you already have a decent computer and sound card, the
> relevant answer would be zero additional cost since there is some very
> competent free SDR software out there and the KX3 isn't going to require
> anything else except an inexpensive cable.  I'm not sure any of that will
> be any more difficult to install than doing P3 and K3 firmware updates.
> Worst case, if I didn't already have them, I might factor in the cost of a
> high end sound card, a video card with outputs for two monitors, and a
> second monitor.
>
> But just for the sake of argument, a dedicated computer with great
> software flexibility can be purchased new (or factory refurbished) for
> less than $300; a low noise, high dynamic range sound card capable of 192
> KHz band coverage for maybe $120 (see N8LP's list of suggested models);
> and a dedicated monitor with much larger size and resolution than the P3
> for around $100.
>
> To each his own, but I think KT0NY is totally correct and I think Elecraft
> has done an admirable thing by including I/Q outputs in the KX3.  If the
> KX3 turns out to be significantly less susceptible to mushing of multiple
> low level in-band signals than the K3, the combination of that and the I/Q
> outputs might even be enough to make me sell my K3 and buy a KX3.
>
> Dave   AB7E

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

David Gilbert

I'm not assuming anything relative to the P3 and the KX3.  I merely
echoed the original comment made by KT0NY about the K3/P3 combination
versus the more flexible combination of the KX3 and a computer without
significant additional complexity.

Dave  AB7E

On 11/7/2011 2:13 PM, Bill Conkling wrote:

> Folks, are you assuming the P3 will plug into the KX3?  If so, I think it
> will be while until such an adapter is offered.  The P3 accepts input from
> the IF out connector on the KXV3(a) board.  I don't think the KX3 even has
> an IF to output.  It outputs I/Q signals which are audio level outputs for
> direct input into a computer sound card.
>
> ...bill  nr4c

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

Sebastian, W4AS
What image problem do you mean?  If you are seeing a ghost, or the same signal on both sides of the center, then you have a ground loop.  Try removing the ground of the power cable, or the audio cable, and see if it goes away.

If you have a 'hump' just in the center, then that is common of sound card based SDRs.  Although some software, such as SDR-Radio, will remove some of it.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS

On Nov 7, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Richard Fjeld wrote:

> Thanks Dave,
>
> I have been trying to run PSDR-IF on an HP with a P4 at 3 GHz.  with a 96
> KHz SoundBlaster card.  The image problem makes it unusable. Yet WinRad
> displays fine. I've used both a Softrock and an LP-PAN.
>
> I have a friend, and I read about others, who are trying to make it work on
> other radios with the same problem.  We can't find the solution. I have been
> told that others are successful. Perhaps it lies with the Video Card which
> you omitted in your cost estimates.
>
> Dick, n0ce

Re: KX3 I/Q SDR questions

John Ragle
Infrasonic's Quartet goes for around this price.

See Auzentech's ads and DO NOT be discouraged by package stores'
comments (NewEgg, etc) that this board is out of production -- this is
just totally wrong -- the board is available without problems and works
like gangbusters.

I have used this board for I/Q PMSDR units, and the 192 kHz sampling
rate is totally adequate.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

=====