KX3 - Is KXUSB same as RT-Sys USB29A?

mike
I want to program my IC-2300H and wondered if the Elecraft KXUSB that came with the KX3 can be used instead of buying an rt-Systems USB29A. I would want it to work with the rt-Systems WCS-2300 software.

.. mike  AI6II

Re: KX3 - Is KXUSB same as RT-Sys USB29A?

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM, mike <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I want to program my IC-2300H and wondered if the Elecraft KXUSB that came
> with the KX3 can be used instead of buying an rt-Systems USB29A. I would
> want it to work with the rt-Systems WCS-2300 software.

Unfortunately (AFAIK) the Icom radios use a single wire TTL for the
data communication, where the Elecraft radios use actual RS232 TX/RX.
I don't believe that you could use the KXUSB directly - you'd need a
converter like the OPC-478.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KX3 - Is KXUSB same as RT-Sys USB29A?

Brendon Whateley
Sounds like a simple problem to resolve with an Arduino, PIC or similar.  It should be a simple project for somebody and they could distribute the results to others.

- Brendon
KK6AYI

On Jun 9, 2013, at 9:11 AM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 8:56 AM, mike <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I want to program my IC-2300H and wondered if the Elecraft KXUSB that came
>> with the KX3 can be used instead of buying an rt-Systems USB29A. I would
>> want it to work with the rt-Systems WCS-2300 software.
>
> Unfortunately (AFAIK) the Icom radios use a single wire TTL for the
> data communication, where the Elecraft radios use actual RS232 TX/RX.
> I don't believe that you could use the KXUSB directly - you'd need a
> converter like the OPC-478.
>
> 73,
>
>    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KX3 - Is KXUSB same as RT-Sys USB29A?

Scott Manthe-2
The RT Systems software will only work with their proprietary cable, so
if you're going to use the RT Systems software, you'll need to buy the
cable.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 6/9/13 11:56 AM, mike wrote:
> I want to program my IC-2300H and wondered if the Elecraft KXUSB that came
> with the KX3 can be used instead of buying an rt-Systems USB29A. I would
> want it to work with the rt-Systems WCS-2300 software.
>
> .. mike  AI6II

Re: KX3 - Is KXUSB same as RT-Sys USB29A?

Fred Smith-2
NO

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

I want to program my IC-2300H and wondered if the Elecraft KXUSB that came
with the KX3 can be used instead of buying an rt-Systems USB29A. I would
want it to work with the rt-Systems WCS-2300 software.

.. mike  AI6II

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: KX3 - Is KXUSB same as RT-Sys USB29A?

mike
Yep. Got it. Not the same. Thanks es 73  ..mike  AI6II