[KX3] Power connector size

Rick Miller - N1RM
The manual states that the KX3 power connector is 2.1mm.  There are two standard sizes that have an inner diameter of 2.1mm.  One is 5.0mm OD and one is 5.5mm OD.  I believe that the supplied cable has an OD of 5.5mm, but just wanted to confirm.  Both sizes will probably work, but the larger size will be retained better as long as it isn't too large.  Can anyone confirm this before I make up my power cables?

BTW - Radio Shack's size letters are 'K' for the 5.0mm OD and 'M' for the 5.5mm OD.

Rick
AI1V

Re: [KX3] Power connector size

Don Wilhelm-4
Rick,

Yes, all the 2.1mm coaxial connectors used by Elecraft are 2.1mm inner
conductor 5.5mm outside.

On 9/25/2012 9:14 AM, Rick Miller - AI1V wrote:
> The manual states that the KX3 power connector is 2.1mm.  There are two
> standard sizes that have an inner diameter of 2.1mm.  One is 5.0mm OD and
> one is 5.5mm OD.  I believe that the supplied cable has an OD of 5.5mm, but
> just wanted to confirm.  Both sizes will probably work, but the larger size
> will be retained better as long as it isn't too large.  Can anyone confirm
> this before I make up my power cables?

Re: [KX3] Power connector size

F5LCI
There are 2 flavors of 5.5 OD power connectors.
Check that your connector inside female "tip" diameter is 2.1, not 2.5 : I had made such a wrong cable for my K2 and was plagued with intermittent power contact, making loud audio "thumps", also the RS232 had to be repaired. No more thumps when a few ...years later  I inadvertently changed for a cable with the original connector.
72 from FO land

Re: [KX3] Power connector size

Christian AK4VV
Somebody else is a fan of the enercell stuff ;-) .. I like their
2500mA wall wart with the adaptaplug.  Life saver on several
occasions.

73,
Christian
AK4VV

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 25, 2012, at 9:42, Rick Miller - AI1V <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The manual states that the KX3 power connector is 2.1mm.  There are two
> standard sizes that have an inner diameter of 2.1mm.  One is 5.0mm OD and
> one is 5.5mm OD.  I believe that the supplied cable has an OD of 5.5mm, but
> just wanted to confirm.  Both sizes will probably work, but the larger size
> will be retained better as long as it isn't too large.  Can anyone confirm
> this before I make up my power cables?
>
> BTW - Radio Shack's size letters are 'K' for the 5.0mm OD and 'M' for the
> 5.5mm OD.
>
> Rick
> AI1V

Re: [KX3] Power connector size

danielz
I just ordered the connector from PowerWerx with powerpoles on the side for a battery conenction.
They sent the thinner outside dimension (5.0 I believe) and the KX3 (new this week) powered-off frequently if I moved the mic cable or key cable and bumped the power cord, so I think it looks like we need the wider one 5.5mm to stay stable in the KX3.......