KX3 Quesiton on PC Control

k0wa@swbell.net

What does this mean and how does this work?  See the following quote....

"Accessory/RS232 port for           computer control using supplied cable"

Is there a port on the rear for a serial connection....or what?  I did not look
at that when I saw it at Dayton.  Can this be clarified?

Lee - K0WA

 In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
-  John W. (Kansas)

Re: KX3 Quesiton on PC Control

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
On the side.
73, Eric

On 5/27/2011 9:00 AM, Lee Buller wrote:

> What does this mean and how does this work?  See the following quote....
>
> "Accessory/RS232 port for           computer control using supplied cable"
>
> Is there a port on the rear for a serial connection....or what?  I did not look
> at that when I saw it at Dayton.  Can this be clarified?
>
> Lee - K0WA
>

>   In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
> have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
> Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
> Sense divine?
>
> Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
> -  John W. (Kansas)

Re: KX3 Quesiton on PC Control

Nr4c
Sounds to me like they are providing a serial cable (one end, DB-9 to
fit computer and the other end a diferent connector to fit KX3 but not a
DB-9 die to limited space).

...bill  nr4c

On Fri, 27 May 2011 09:00:38 -0700 (PDT), Lee Buller wrote:

> What does this mean and how does this work?  See the following
> quote....
>
> "Accessory/RS232 port for           computer control using supplied
> cable"
>
> Is there a port on the rear for a serial connection....or what?  I
> did not look
> at that when I saw it at Dayton.  Can this be clarified?
>
> Lee - K0WA
>

>  In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.
> If you don't
> have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you
> can't find any
> Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.
> Is Common
> Sense divine?
>
> Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in
> my mind.
> -  John W. (Kansas)

Re: KX3 Quesiton on PC Control

M0XDF
not sure it's not a DB9, otherwise, why advertise the KUSB along with the KX3 - Eric/Wayne?
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174, P3 #108, KX3 #???

On 27 May 2011, at 17:59, nr4c wrote:

> Sounds to me like they are providing a serial cable (one end, DB-9 to
> fit computer and the other end a diferent connector to fit KX3 but not a
> DB-9 die to limited space).
>
> ...bill  nr4c

Re: KX3 Quesiton on PC Control

Jim Sheldon

Re: KX3 Quesiton on PC Control

KU4AF
Of course, right next to the Shifafa!

I don't want YaeKenCom,
That's not where I'm from,
Give DX no place to hide.
I want the Mojo sauce
On an awesome rig
With Shifafa on the side.

John, KU4AF
Pittsboro, NC

<quote author="Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft">
On the side.
73, Eric

On 5/27/2011 9:00 AM, Lee Buller wrote:

> What does this mean and how does this work?  See the following quote....
>
> "Accessory/RS232 port for           computer control using supplied cable"
>
> Is there a port on the rear for a serial connection....or what?  I did not look
> at that when I saw it at Dayton.  Can this be clarified?
>
> Lee - K0WA

Re: [KX3] Quesiton on PC Control

Jim Dunstan-2
At 09:00 AM 5/27/2011 -0700, you wrote:

>What does this mean and how does this work?  See the following quote....
>
>"Accessory/RS232 port for           computer control using supplied cable"
>
>Is there a port on the rear for a serial connection....or what?  I did not
>look
>at that when I saw it at Dayton.  Can this be clarified?
>
>Lee - K0WA

Hi Lee

There are 3 connectors (1/8 stereo ?) in a row on the left side marked ACC,
KEY, PHONES.  The first connector marked ACC gives RS232 access.  Since it
is not the traditional 9 pin RS232 connector (which would be rather large
for such a small radio) a special RS232 cable is required to interface with
an external computer.  A stereo plug could carry data in/out quite
easily.  It also mentions that the KX3 uses the same commands as the K3.  I
assume that digital/control software like MixW would be able to work with
the KX3 in much the same way as the K3.  In addition to these 3 connectors
there are 2 more (1/8" stereo ?) connectors ... one for the Mic/PTT and RX
I/Q which could be used for other interesting functions ... like a
pan-adapter ?

Jim - VE3CI

Re: KX3 Quesiton on PC Control

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
I would expect there to be a DB9 on the "computer end" of the supplied
cable. My guess is that the KX3 end will be a 1/8" TRS jack, like the
W2, to save space, as Bill said. The "computer end" of the supplied
cable could plug into the KUSB.

    ~iain / N6ML

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM, David Ferrington, M0XDF
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> not sure it's not a DB9, otherwise, why advertise the KUSB along with the KX3 - Eric/Wayne?
> 73 de M0XDF, K3 #174, P3 #108, KX3 #???
>
> On 27 May 2011, at 17:59, nr4c wrote:
>
>> Sounds to me like they are providing a serial cable (one end, DB-9 to
>> fit computer and the other end a diferent connector to fit KX3 but not a
>> DB-9 die to limited space).
>>
>> ...bill  nr4c

Re: [KX3] Quesiton on PC Control

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Same cable as used on the W1, W2, K144XV and XG3.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
---

On 5/27/2011 11:26 AM, Jim Dunstan wrote:

> At 09:00 AM 5/27/2011 -0700, you wrote:
>

>> What does this mean and how does this work?  See the following quote....
>>
>> "Accessory/RS232 port for           computer control using supplied cable"
>>
>> Is there a port on the rear for a serial connection....or what?  I did not
>> look
>> at that when I saw it at Dayton.  Can this be clarified?
>>
>> Lee - K0WA
> Hi Lee
>
> There are 3 connectors (1/8 stereo ?) in a row on the left side marked ACC,
> KEY, PHONES.  The first connector marked ACC gives RS232 access.  Since it
> is not the traditional 9 pin RS232 connector (which would be rather large
> for such a small radio) a special RS232 cable is required to interface with
> an external computer.  A stereo plug could carry data in/out quite
> easily.  It also mentions that the KX3 uses the same commands as the K3.  I
> assume that digital/control software like MixW would be able to work with
> the KX3 in much the same way as the K3.  In addition to these 3 connectors
> there are 2 more (1/8" stereo ?) connectors ... one for the Mic/PTT and RX
> I/Q which could be used for other interesting functions ... like a
> pan-adapter ?
>
> Jim - VE3CI

Re: [KX3] Quesiton on PC Control

Guy, K2AV
Using a stereo jack as RS232 is quite common.  I have some number of
non-Elecraft devices that do that, including Microham boxes.  It does
preclude use of RTS and DTR for anything.  All has to be done in the
ASCII stream, but it has worked just fine.

73, Guy.

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Same cable as used on the W1, W2, K144XV and XG3.
>
> 73, Eric  WA6HHQ
> ---
>
> On 5/27/2011 11:26 AM, Jim Dunstan wrote:
>> At 09:00 AM 5/27/2011 -0700, you wrote:
>>

>>> What does this mean and how does this work?  See the following quote....
>>>
>>> "Accessory/RS232 port for           computer control using supplied cable"
>>>
>>> Is there a port on the rear for a serial connection....or what?  I did not
>>> look
>>> at that when I saw it at Dayton.  Can this be clarified?
>>>
>>> Lee - K0WA
>> Hi Lee
>>
>> There are 3 connectors (1/8 stereo ?) in a row on the left side marked ACC,
>> KEY, PHONES.  The first connector marked ACC gives RS232 access.  Since it
>> is not the traditional 9 pin RS232 connector (which would be rather large
>> for such a small radio) a special RS232 cable is required to interface with
>> an external computer.  A stereo plug could carry data in/out quite
>> easily.  It also mentions that the KX3 uses the same commands as the K3.  I
>> assume that digital/control software like MixW would be able to work with
>> the KX3 in much the same way as the K3.  In addition to these 3 connectors
>> there are 2 more (1/8" stereo ?) connectors ... one for the Mic/PTT and RX
>> I/Q which could be used for other interesting functions ... like a
>> pan-adapter ?
>>
>> Jim - VE3CI

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: KX3 Quesiton on PC Control

Guy, K2AV
XG3 cable is female RS232 (holes) to stereo jack.  73, Guy.