KX3 Questions

Sid Leben
I received my KX3 a few days ago & we are getting acquainted.  Similar to my K3, but not the same..
I downloaded the newest Beta, 1.06.
As I understand it, there is some form of DSP installed.  When I invoke "NR" the screen reads "tbd"  I assume that more is to come, as there are no levels to adjust as in the K3.  The AGC left at the default Threshold of 7, is not sufficient.  I will try lower levels to stop the overload from strong stations.
I am trying to use the APF mode.  A little complex, but it tends to ring when peaked in mode II.

XPD3 paddle.  Mechanically a very nice match to the rig.  I prefer a tight (little movement ) paddle. I adjusted the paddles until constant contact & then backed off, then tightened.  Still more movement then I like, but I can acclimate.  Sometimes in the middle of a transmission, I would get a string of dits or dahs, generally happens when settings too tight.  I have opened the settings more, inducing more travel, & I still get the "stuck" condition.  I am wondering if this is a mechanical problem with the key, or a software pblm with the encoder circuit ????

I will take it portable this afternoon & give it a workout.  I would appreciate comments.

Sid
KC2EE

Re: KX3 Questions

Bill Gerth
Sid,

Regarding your KXPD3, I have had similar experiences. I, too, prefer
small gap spacing and also had the same experiences that you did
regarding a string of dits or dahs.  I may be imagining this, but I
think it may have to do with thermal expansion / contraction of the
metal components.  I think I can correlate paddle performance at tight
gap spacing with temperature changes.  My shack tends to cool off
overnight when my equipment is off and the HVAC gets ahead of the heat
load.  Then during the day it heats up.  I should probably get out my
feeler gauges and prove or disprove my theory.  But, I now have a gap
setting that works 24/7.  It is a bit wider than I'd like, but I have
adapted easily and I really like the KXPD3.

When you're outdoors this afternoon, maybe you can detect the same
thermal effects that I experienced.

Good luck and stay cool!

73,

BILL GERTH, W4RK
Jefferson City, MO
First Licensed 1954
CWOPS #459
KX3 (S/N 112)

On Jul 2, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Sid Leben wrote:

> I received my KX3 a few days ago & we are getting acquainted.
> Similar to my K3, but not the same..
> I downloaded the newest Beta, 1.06.
> As I understand it, there is some form of DSP installed.  When I
> invoke "NR" the screen reads "tbd"  I assume that more is to come,
> as there are no levels to adjust as in the K3.  The AGC left at the
> default Threshold of 7, is not sufficient.  I will try lower levels
> to stop the overload from strong stations.
> I am trying to use the APF mode.  A little complex, but it tends to
> ring when peaked in mode II.
>
> XPD3 paddle.  Mechanically a very nice match to the rig.  I prefer a
> tight (little movement ) paddle. I adjusted the paddles until
> constant contact & then backed off, then tightened.  Still more
> movement then I like, but I can acclimate.  Sometimes in the middle
> of a transmission, I would get a string of dits or dahs, generally
> happens when settings too tight.  I have opened the settings more,
> inducing more travel, & I still get the "stuck" condition.  I am
> wondering if this is a mechanical problem with the key, or a
> software pblm with the encoder circuit ????
>
> I will take it portable this afternoon & give it a workout.  I would
> appreciate comments.
>
> Sid
> KC2EE

Re: KX3 Questions

JP O'Connor
Yes, there is extensive DSP in this radio. However, the NR is not yet
implemented. Check the user manual errata (KX3 Owner's Manual Errata Rev
B4-1 - June 1, 2012) on the Elecraft web site for details on firmware
enhancements still to come. For example, the NB, though implemented can
only be set on or off right now - levels will be provided later - and some
other features are also on the "to do" list.

When planning to use APF, be sure to first turn on CWT, then tune
the signal as close to the center of the indicator as is reasonably
possible (it doesn't have to be exact, however), then SPOT the signal, then
set a fairly narrow bandwidth, then turn on APF. Experiment with it! It is
pretty cool!

72/73 de JP WF4Z

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Sid Leben <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I received my KX3 a few days ago & we are getting acquainted.  Similar to
> my K3, but not the same..
> I downloaded the newest Beta, 1.06.
> As I understand it, there is some form of DSP installed.  When I invoke
> "NR" the screen reads "tbd"  I assume that more is to come, as there are no
> levels to adjust as in the K3.  The AGC left at the default Threshold of 7,
> is not sufficient.  I will try lower levels to stop the overload from
> strong stations.
> I am trying to use the APF mode.  A little complex, but it tends to ring
> when peaked in mode II.
>
> XPD3 paddle.  Mechanically a very nice match to the rig.  I prefer a tight
> (little movement ) paddle. I adjusted the paddles until constant contact &
> then backed off, then tightened.  Still more movement then I like, but I
> can acclimate.  Sometimes in the middle of a transmission, I would get a
> string of dits or dahs, generally happens when settings too tight.  I have
> opened the settings more, inducing more travel, & I still get the "stuck"
> condition.  I am wondering if this is a mechanical problem with the key, or
> a software pblm with the encoder circuit ????
>
> I will take it portable this afternoon & give it a workout.  I would
> appreciate comments.
>
> Sid
> KC2EE

Re: KX3 Questions

Sid,

If you read the errata you will find that NR is not yet implemented.

"some form of DSP installed" -- yes, the KX3 is most *all* DSP - all the
modulation, demodulation and filtering is in DSP code (the "number soup"
as some would say).

On 7/2/2012 10:51 AM, Sid Leben wrote:
> I received my KX3 a few days ago & we are getting acquainted.  Similar to my K3, but not the same..
> I downloaded the newest Beta, 1.06.
> As I understand it, there is some form of DSP installed.  When I invoke "NR" the screen reads "tbd"  I assume that more is to come, as there are no levels to adjust as in the K3.  The AGC left at the default Threshold of 7, is not sufficient.  I will try lower levels to stop the overload from strong stations.
> I am trying to use the APF mode.  A little complex, but it tends to ring when peaked in mode II.

Re: KX3 Questions

Lyle Johnson
Hello Sid!

> ...As I understand it, there is some form of DSP installed.  When I invoke "NR" the screen reads "tbd"  I assume that more is to come, as there are no levels to adjust as in the K3.

The radio is entirely based on digital signal processing (DSP).  I
understand that many people mean "automotaic filtering of some sort"
when they use the term DSP.  Those features -- noise reduction and
automatic notch -- are actively being worked on as I write this.

>   The AGC left at the default Threshold of 7, is not sufficient.  I will try lower levels to stop the overload from strong stations.

Or turn the AF Gain down.  What many people try to do is use the
internal speaker and crank up the AF Gain.  With a high AGC threshold,
this means a strong signal will overload the audio chain.  If the gain
is set so that a very strong signal doe snot overload, then a high AGC
setting may be appropriate.  It all depends on the ambient acoustic
environment, the "band noise" at the moment, the efficiency of the audio
transducer (internal speaker, headphones, external amplified speaker(s),
etc) and your hearing comfort level.  In general, you want the AGC to
cut in above the band noise -- how much above depends on a lot of things
and is usually dominated by your personal preferences.  I usually have
the AGC Threshold in my KX3 set to 5.

> I am trying to use the APF mode.  A little complex, but it tends to ring when peaked in mode II.
The APF will ring a bit by design.  It is mostly used for helping to
copy weak (that is, near the noise level, might be S6!) CW signals at
slow to moderate keying speeds.  It is not the appropriate filter for
fast CW, or for signals with reasonable S/N.  The regular filtering
(accessed by turning the PBT control) is appropriate for the latter cases.

I see you've had good comments on the KXPD3.

Enjoy your new radio, and thank you for your observations!

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: KX3 Questions

Nr4c
If you read the KX3 Errata sheet (should have been supplied with the
radio) on the web site, you'll note that several functions described in
the manual are not availble as yet.  And "NR" is among those.

And, I agree with you on the paddles.  Neat, but I can't get them
adjusted like I would normally adjust my HEXKEY, tight.  It also seems
that they have more travel now then a week or so ago when I last
adjusted them.  I have resisted the temptation to disassemble and make
the spring tighter or find a way to replace it with magnets.  Until I
see inside, I can't really make the decision, but I'm really leaning
toward using magnets to provide the 'feel'.  I've done this with others
including a "AZQRP Scorpion".

...bill  nr4c

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 07:51:49 -0700, Sid Leben wrote:

> I received my KX3 a few days ago & we are getting acquainted.
> Similar to my K3, but not the same..
> I downloaded the newest Beta, 1.06.
> As I understand it, there is some form of DSP installed.  When I
> invoke "NR" the screen reads "tbd"  I assume that more is to come, as
> there are no levels to adjust as in the K3.  The AGC left at the
> default Threshold of 7, is not sufficient.  I will try lower levels
> stop the overload from strong stations.
> I am trying to use the APF mode.  A little complex, but it tends to
> ring when peaked in mode II.
>
> XPD3 paddle.  Mechanically a very nice match to the rig.  I prefer a
> tight (little movement ) paddle. I adjusted the paddles until
> constant
> contact & then backed off, then tightened.  Still more movement then
> like, but I can acclimate.  Sometimes in the middle of a
> transmission,
> I would get a string of dits or dahs, generally happens when settings
> too tight.  I have opened the settings more, inducing more travel, &
> still get the "stuck" condition.  I am wondering if this is a
> mechanical problem with the key, or a software pblm with the encoder
> circuit ????
>
> I will take it portable this afternoon & give it a workout.  I would
> appreciate comments.
>
> Sid
> KC2EE

Re: KX3 Questions

Don Butler
I have the same issues with my KXPD3.  With maybe 100-125 CW qsos logged
using the KX3 and KXPD3 I have now accepted the fact that I must
compromise and use a more coarse paddle adjustment.  I have also had
issues with random dropping of the first "dah", which is further
complicated when a "dah" is supposed to break up a string of "dits" as
it does in iambic keying.  I initially thought I had it fixed after
cleaning the KXPD3 contacts with Deoxit and further adjustments, but the
problem still surfaces occasionally.  My sending becomes a bit
embarrasing at times as a result.  (not to imply that I have a "great"
fist, which I do not)  BUT, in my mind, the advantages of having the
KXPD3 conveniently attached to the rig far outweigh these minor
inconveniences.  I bought my KX3 for portable operation, and am willing
to accept the many compromises associated with that.

Another minor KXPD3 issue .... The way the paddles themselves are
machined there are sharp right angle margins adjacent to  all of the
finger and thumb contact areas.  If those edges were rounded and
smoothed moderately they would be much more comfortable to use .. In my
hands at least.

Don, N5LZ
KX3 S/N 125

Regarding your KXPD3, I have had similar experiences. I, too, prefer
small gap spacing and also had the same experiences that you did
regarding a string of dits or dahs.  I may be imagining this, but I
think it may have to do with thermal expansion / contraction of the
metal components.  I think I can correlate paddle performance at tight
gap spacing with temperature changes.  My shack tends to cool off
overnight when my equipment is off and the HVAC gets ahead of the heat
load.  Then during the day it heats up.  I should probably get out my
feeler gauges and prove or disprove my theory.  But, I now have a gap
setting that works 24/7.  It is a bit wider than I'd like, but I have
adapted easily and I really like the KXPD3.

When you're outdoors this afternoon, maybe you can detect the same
thermal effects that I experienced.

Good luck and stay cool!

73,

BILL GERTH, W4RK
Jefferson City, MO
First Licensed 1954
CWOPS #459
KX3 (S/N 112)

On Jul 2, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Sid Leben wrote:

> I received my KX3 a few days ago & we are getting acquainted.
> Similar to my K3, but not the same..
> I downloaded the newest Beta, 1.06.
> As I understand it, there is some form of DSP installed.  When I
> invoke "NR" the screen reads "tbd"  I assume that more is to come,
> as there are no levels to adjust as in the K3.  The AGC left at the
> default Threshold of 7, is not sufficient.  I will try lower levels
> to stop the overload from strong stations.
> I am trying to use the APF mode.  A little complex, but it tends to
> ring when peaked in mode II.
>
> XPD3 paddle.  Mechanically a very nice match to the rig.  I prefer a
> tight (little movement ) paddle. I adjusted the paddles until
> constant contact & then backed off, then tightened.  Still more
> movement then I like, but I can acclimate.  Sometimes in the middle
> of a transmission, I would get a string of dits or dahs, generally
> happens when settings too tight.  I have opened the settings more,
> inducing more travel, & I still get the "stuck" condition.  I am
> wondering if this is a mechanical problem with the key, or a
> software pblm with the encoder circuit ????
>
> I will take it portable this afternoon & give it a workout.  I would
> appreciate comments.
>
> Sid
> KC2EE

Re: KX3 Questions

PTA_ABD
Had the same experiences with the keyer paddle KXPD3 ... a bit too much tension ( which is not adjustable except by surgery ) and the spacing is kinda tricky ( wound up having it wider than I like ). I also like a slightly wider paddle footprint ( someone suggested gluing/sticking something on them ). For FD, I didn't care for the way I sounded with it, so I reverted to the shack paddle, with great relief.  I'm not exactly thrilled with it, considering the price, but I intend to hang onto it: for ultra portable, I can slow down.

And for FD, it worked very well; contacts from all over, both coasts .... forgot it was a "QRP rig" ... plays "bigger".

And I guess I'll have to take my IC7000 on my western trip  ( yeah, and the manual too ... three years and I don't rememmer nuttin' ... can do a K3 or KX3 blindfolded ). Too bad the KX3 amp wasn't available....

Paul WB2ABD

Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:12:02 -0500
From: Bill Gerth <[hidden email]>
To: Sid Leben <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Sid,

Regarding your KXPD3, I have had similar experiences. I, too, prefer
small gap spacing and also had the same experiences that you did
regarding a string of dits or dahs.  I may be imagining this, but I
think it may have to do with thermal expansion / contraction of the
metal components.  I think I can correlate paddle performance at tight
gap spacing with temperature changes.  My shack tends to cool off
overnight when my equipment is off and the HVAC gets ahead of the heat
load.  Then during the day it heats up.  I should probably get out my
feeler gauges and prove or disprove my theory.  But, I now have a gap
setting that works 24/7.  It is a bit wider than I'd like, but I have
adapted easily and I really like the KXPD3.

When you're outdoors this afternoon, maybe you can detect the same
thermal effects that I experienced.

Good luck and stay cool!

73,

BILL GERTH, W4RK
Jefferson City, MO
First Licensed 1954
CWOPS #459
KX3 (S/N 112)

On Jul 2, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Sid Leben wrote:

> I received my KX3 a few days ago & we are getting acquainted.
> Similar to my K3, but not the same..
> I downloaded the newest Beta, 1.06.
> As I understand it, there is some form of DSP installed.  When I
> invoke "NR" the screen reads "tbd"  I assume that more is to come,
> as there are no levels to adjust as in the K3.  The AGC left at the
> default Threshold of 7, is not sufficient.  I will try lower levels
> to stop the overload from strong stations.
> I am trying to use the APF mode.  A little complex, but it tends to
> ring when peaked in mode II.
>
> XPD3 paddle.  Mechanically a very nice match to the rig.  I prefer a
> tight (little movement ) paddle. I adjusted the paddles until
> constant contact & then backed off, then tightened.  Still more
> movement then I like, but I can acclimate.  Sometimes in the middle
> of a transmission, I would get a string of dits or dahs, generally
> happens when settings too tight.  I have opened the settings more,
> inducing more travel, & I still get the "stuck" condition.  I am
> wondering if this is a mechanical problem with the key, or a
> software pblm with the encoder circuit ????
>
> I will take it portable this afternoon & give it a workout.  I would
> appreciate comments.
>
> Sid
> KC2EE

Re: KX3 Questions

Matt Maguire
I also had a situation where I was getting a string of dahs in the middle
of  transmission. At first I thought it may have been a sticky KXPD3 set
too tight, but then the same thing happened using an external Begali
paddle. The adhoc antenna feedline situation I was using was, let's just
say, not ideal, and I was running a full 10W when the problem happened, so
I then suspected RF was getting back into the radio. I replaced that
jury-rigged antenna setup with some proper feedline and a balun, and have
not had any problem since.

73, Matt VK2ACL