KX3 REC Help!!

Michael E. Califf,Sr.
I seem to have a problem with my KX3. I just took it out of the box,applied power and put antenna coax,via a T-1 to it.
The Main Problem is that I can’t hear anything on it. Plus I cannot get the T-1 to work as tuner.
I have checked Coax and antenna leads and have tested the Antenna with other rig and it works just fine.
I have put the MENU reading for the ATU on “Not installed”
I push the button on the T-1 then push and hold “tune” button and nothing happens on the T-1 it flashes it’s light for a bit then quits.
I have tried just about every band and most modes and still no “ears”
I’m hoping it’s a MENU or Parameter problem as I don’t really want to open it up unless absolutely necessary
And with the pileup of orders,don’t want to send it back!!!

Mecsr  MikeSr  AB7OC

Re: KX3 REC Help!!

wayne burdick
Administrator
Hi Mike,

I've forwarded this to Elecraft customer support. It's probably
something simple, and they'll be contacting you tomorrow during
business hours.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Jul 18, 2012, at 6:31 PM, Michael E. Califf,Sr wrote:

> I seem to have a problem with my KX3. I just took it out of the
> box,applied power and put antenna coax,via a T-1 to it.
> The Main Problem is that I can’t hear anything on it. Plus I cannot
> get the T-1 to work as tuner.
> I have checked Coax and antenna leads and have tested the Antenna
> with other rig and it works just fine.
> I have put the MENU reading for the ATU on “Not installed”
> I push the button on the T-1 then push and hold “tune” button and
> nothing happens on the T-1 it flashes it’s light for a bit then quits.
> I have tried just about every band and most modes and still no “ears”
> I’m hoping it’s a MENU or Parameter problem as I don’t really want
> to open it up unless absolutely necessary
> And with the pileup of orders,don’t want to send it back!!!
>
> Mecsr  MikeSr  AB7OC

Re: KX3 REC Help!!

Matt Maguire
Judging by your reluctance to open the radio, can we assume it was factory built rather than a kit?

Is there a KX3AT ATU equipped in the radio? If so, "Bypass" is more appropriate than "Not Installed".

What do you have the "TUN PWR" menu item set to?

When you press the TUNE button, are you just tapping it? In this case, if the radio is on SSB, it will just go to transmit, but will not output any power unless there is some drive. Rather, you need to "hold" the tune button down to put the radio in TUNE mode, until it starts transmitting. When you do this, do you see any indications on the power meter or SWR meter? Do you have an external power meter and dummy load to test into?

There could be something that has come loose during the shipment to you. Opening the radio is not a scary thing, as it is designed to be opened in order to replace the batteries. Just make sure you follow the instructions in the user guide. Look for things that are loose (eg. ATU, cable to the BNC connector). If all else fails, contact Elecraft support, you may be able to resolve this over phone/email without having to send the unit back.

GL es 73,
Matt VK2ACL